How did you discover Sonic?

I think the first sonic game I played was the mobile version of Sonic 2, but I'm not sure how I discovered Sonic. Also, I have an interesting thing I remember. You actually had used to have to pay for Sonic 2 on mobile (I think but I'm not sure because it was a while ago lol)
You can pay, but you don't need to. Paying just removes the ads.

When I was maybe 4 or 5, through the window looking out of my house I saw an unusual sight of my dad sitting in a chair, placed right in the middle of the deck. For some reason, I felt really relaxed and I went outside to see what he was doing. He said he was playing a video game (it was Sonic 2 on the game gear), and he asked if I wanted to try. This was the first time I'd seen a video game, and I thought it was the most interesting and best thing I'd ever seen in my life. We both tried but couldn't get past the second level of the first zone, a cave with minecarts and lava I think.

Much to my disappointment, before I got the chance to play it again the Game Gear was given as a gift to our neighbor for their trip to Australia, but since I liked it so much my Dad unexpectedly surprised me and my siblings with a copy of Sonic Adventure DX for the pc. I was jumping with excitement as he put in the disks and installed the game for me on the computer in the moody office, and he started the game up to check it out, and I was amazed by the graphics. However, when the police started shooting guns at Chaos 0, I was told that the game was too violent for me, and the game was quickly put to a halt. My disappointment was immeasurable. I begged and pleaded that it would be fine for me, but it was no use, as my dad dejectedly said he thought it would be more like the game on the game gear, and slipped the game box into the desk drawer and pushed it closed.

A bit later, I remember then playing Sonic 1, 2, and Sonic and Knuckles on PC that might have been a genesis emulator, but I feel like I remember it was an application that opened a window that let you choose between the games with pictures next to them. I really liked Sonic and Knuckles, but at some point, I was deemed old enough to play Sonic Adventure DX, and that became my favorite. Me and my siblings then became big sonic fans and obviously, that has never gone away.

When I was maybe 4 or 5, through the window looking out of my house I saw an unusual sight of my dad sitting in a chair, placed right in the middle of the deck. For some reason, I felt really relaxed and I went outside to see what he was doing. He said he was playing a video game (it was Sonic 2 on the game gear), and he asked if I wanted to try. This was the first time I'd seen a video game, and I thought it was the most interesting and best thing I'd ever seen in my life. We both tried but couldn't get past the second level of the first zone, a cave with minecarts and lava I think.

Much to my disappointment, before I got the chance to play it again the Game Gear was given as a gift to our neighbor for their trip to Australia, but since I liked it so much my Dad unexpectedly surprised me and my siblings with a copy of Sonic Adventure DX for the pc. I was jumping with excitement as he put in the disks and installed the game for me on the computer in the moody office, and he started the game up to check it out, and I was amazed by the graphics. However, when the police started shooting guns at Chaos 0, I was told that the game was too violent for me, and the game was quickly put to a halt. My disappointment was immeasurable. I begged and pleaded that it would be fine for me, but it was no use, as my dad dejectedly said he thought it would be more like the game on the game gear, and slipped the game box into the desk drawer and pushed it closed.

A bit later, I remember then playing Sonic 1, 2, and Sonic and Knuckles on PC that might have been a genesis emulator, but I feel like I remember it was an application that opened a window that let you choose between the games with pictures next to them. I really liked Sonic and Knuckles, but at some point, I was deemed old enough to play Sonic Adventure DX, and that became my favorite. Me and my siblings then became big sonic fans and obviously, that has never gone away.
Uh... Under Ground Zone is the first zone, not the second zone.

My parents used to go to a bunch of yard sales, and I'd often go with them when I was very young. One time, someone was selling Sega Smash Pack 2 on PC, and being a young kid, I asked to get it. So we did.

That had Sonic 2 on it, and that was my first experience with the franchise - as poorly emulated as it was, I was excited to play it and I loved it to death. Especially breaking the game apart with debug mode. Got Mega Collection some time after, and the rest is history.

I think my first EVER experience with Sonic was playing Sonic Adventure on my brother's Dreamcast (I was just the 2nd player Tails whenever he was playable) but I was too young to remember that, and it only popped into my memory when I played Adventure 1 for the first time. I was like "Hey wait, I remember parts of this..." so I don't feel like that counts.

That's a personal question that I've always wanted to ask. What was the first time you heard of Sonic? What made you become a fan? I personally know Sonic since I was a baby, my older sister used to play Sonic a lot, so I was introduced to the franchise right after I was born. I became a fan right away, probably because I was a child and just wanted to be closer to my sister, all the early friends I made in my childhood were Sonic fans. So basically I was born a Sonic fan.
I discovered sonic for flash games like:final fantasy sonic,sonic x-treme,sonic x's,etc,i was 2 when i discovered sonic and i still love it

my dad bought me sonic 3d blast on pc when i was like three. loved it even though i couldn't make it past the rusty ruin boss back then and my 1998 emachine couldn't even load the special stages. then y2k hit and i got both sa1 and a pc 4-pack that had sonic 2, cd, 3&k, and R of all gimes (i actually liked it back then) and i've been sold ever since. afaik 3d blast was my first exposure but sonic was just so prevalent even back then that i can't objectively recall if it was my very first proper discovery. i might've really first seen him in a commercial or something. i know that mario 64 milk commercial was some of my first exposure to him lol

my dad bought me sonic 3d blast on pc when i was like three. loved it even though i couldn't make it past the rusty ruin boss back then and my 1998 emachine couldn't even load the special stages. then y2k hit and i got both sa1 and a pc 4-pack that had sonic 2, cd, 3&k, and R of all gimes (i actually liked it back then) and i've been sold ever since. afaik 3d blast was my first exposure but sonic was just so prevalent even back then that i can't objectively recall if it was my very first proper discovery. i might've really first seen him in a commercial or something. i know that mario 64 milk commercial was some of my first exposure to him lol
I remember Sonic had a yogurt commercial where he and Tails looked super depressed.

My Dad got me a ATGames Sega Genesis. the first game I played was sonic and knuckles.sadly no Sonic 3 tho...
That kinda depresses me for some reason.

well ive been playing sonic since I was to what I didint know was that I was playing sonic I thought I was playing space creatures or something than someone told me he was sonic sonic the hedgehog and we became freinds and I became obsessed

I discovered sonic in 2018/2019. I learned about him when I was watching the sonic the hedgehog lost bits video. I think I did know about the blue blur 3 or 4 years before I had internet. But I really can't remember much. I was such a fan that I had an old sonic oc and managed to get a tails plush from a party city while halloween shopping. Sadly that plush is now lost and I haven't been able to find it since, but it's out there somewhere. That's how I basically discovered sonic.
Post automatically merged:

I discovered sonic in 2018/2019. I learned about him when I was watching the sonic the hedgehog lost bits video. I think I did know about the blue blur 3 or 4 years before I had internet. But I really can't remember much. I was such a fan that I had an old sonic oc and managed to get a tails plush from a party city while halloween shopping. Sadly that plush is now lost and I haven't been able to find it since, but it's out there somewhere. That's how I basically discovered sonic.
also my mom went back to the party city to see if there were any more so I could get a new one. Spoilers: There was no more:dramahog:. But I did get a GE Tails for easter so that was nice.

Last edited:
Fan Animations, Mainly that one dragon ball Z styled one, then i moved to the mobile ports, Idk i actually thought that was how sonic games we're, i was still a Toddler, that was a long time ago.

Edit: Allright I'm just clarifying at this point.

I can barely remember, but my brother had a sonic plush, and sonic heroes on the game cube, and back the, I was a little dumb dumb and I'm not sure if I had gained sentience by then, but I was still young, and I didn't know how to use a controller then either, aka I was watching him play, the first time I watched the intro and my brother play, I gained a big attachment to that hedgehog, my first game was sonic 06, so you imagine I am fine with the game.

I can barely remember, but my brother had a sonic plush, and sonic heroes on the game cube, and back the, I was a little dumb dumb and I'm not sure if I had gained sentience by then, but I was still young, and I didn't know how to use a controller then either, aka I was watching him play, the first time I watched the intro and my brother play, I gained a big attachment to that hedgehog, my first game was sonic 06, so you imagine I am fine with the game.
So you're the first one i met that actually likes 06? cool

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back