guys. sad news, sonic digital version games will be delisted....

LOLWUT

When i was watching youtube, something popped up in my recommendations. it said, when sonic origins comes out, Sega annouced they are going to delist the digital versions on May 20th. this will include sonic 1, 2, 3 and knuckles, and sonic CD. this will not affect to Sega Ages and Nintendo Switch Online+, so consider yourself lucky Sega Ages and Switch Online users.
So you better buy the digital versions before they are gone in May 20th!

You should link to an article so readers can get the full context.

This seems a little anti-consumer on SEGA's part. If someone wants to play one of the classics digitally, Steam versions generally go for around $5-6. Delisting these versions funnels consumers into having to decide whether to buying a full collection when they may only be interested in one of the games. I don't see a practical reason for why this needs to be done.

I don't really see a benefit to this. It's likely that they see this as a way of giving incentive to buy Origins instead of the original versions, but if someone is dead set on not buying Origins and doesn't already own the originals then they will all too likely just resort to pirating the originals due to them being delisted. At least with the originals still available, SEGA can make some extra money on the side from those who are interested.

There's also the inner games preservationist in me that's disgusted by practices like this. It shows a certain level of disrespect from the IP holders towards older versions of a product, attempting to replace it with whatever newer, shinier version is entering the marketplace. Something similar happened with the recent GTA remaster.

I'd find this to be less egregious if the delisted items are automatically added to the accounts of people who purchased Origins if they don't own them already (thankfully I do) for free, but somehow I find this to be unlikely, and it would still leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth due to locking them behind a far more expensive product.

The only stand alone version on steam is Sonic CD. Sonic 1-3&k on Steam are not stand alone as they are treated as dlc.
Ok for some weird reason Sonic CD on steam is staying while sonic 1-3&K from the genesis collection are being delisted.

On play station, there are supposedly standalone versions of all 4/5 games dating back to the PS3. However I can't find any of them listed on the web version of the Playstation store. That said, the PS3 release of Sonic's ultimate genesis collection still exists, and the PS4's Genesis classic collection still exists.

On Xbox, the 5 have been on the xbox live arcade since the xbox 360 and have been each priced at around $5 separately. However Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles have both already been made unavailable to purchase. Likely happened years ago due to the music licensing issues.
As with the play station line, Sonic's ultimate genesis collection still exists for this platform as does the Genesis classic collection.

The Wii Releases of Sonic 1-3&k are already dead due to the closure of the wii shop.

the 3ds releases of Sonic 1 and 2 are set to become unavailable next year with the closure of the 3ds eshop, with the exception of Sonic 1 3d due to physical release (good luck finding it though, it's a game collection). The 3ds can also still play Sonic 1-3&K thanks to the Sonic collection from the DS that had a physical release.

The Wii U never had stand alone releases outside of Wii mode.

On the switch, and as already stated, the Ages releases are being spared from being unlisted. Plus the NSO Expansion pack is keeping Sonic 2 and the Genesis Classic collection exists on this system too.

So when you take the time to take stock of what's actually being delisted, it's not really that much you're loosing as other options exist for the original games on modern systems today, with exception for Steam.

This Japenese link should back up what I'm saying https://sonic.sega.jp/SonicChannel/topics/information/20220427_002878/

Last edited:
The only stand alone version on steam is Sonic CD. Sonic 1-3&k on Steam are not stand alone as they are treated as dlc.
Ok for some weird reason Sonic CD on steam is staying while sonic 1-3&K from the genesis collection are being delisted.

So when you take the time to take stock of what's actually being delisted, it's not really that much you're loosing as other options exist for the original games on modern systems today, with exception for Steam.
Sonic 1, 2, and 3K on Steam are probably the most accessible way to get the originals on PC without piracy. While they are treated as "DLC", the collection will simply unlock when you buy any one of them standalone, with only what you purchased appearing as an option in the emulator or in the VR compatible room. It's rather strange that the original CD never got released on Steam, you could only ever get the 2011 remaster.

Either way though, not everyone owns a console so the Steam delistings will make things harder for some people to get their hands on the originals, even if the emulator they were packaged with was... Imperfect. I feel that for preservation, games should remain accessible on as many systems they have been released on as possible so they can be experienced without piracy or having to buy a whole new piece of hardware just to have the privilege of buying them.

Even if not for the preservation, I feel they should remain accessable for new customers too for the "mods". The actual mods/rom hacks of the sonic games that is.

Fuckin' hell SEGA, you make a genuinely cool collection and then attach a bunch of strings to it to explicitly exploit FOMO from your customers.

I'm hoping that Origins still contains the OG roms by means of its classic mode, so at least the originals can be preserved in an official capacity in some way, cause this is straight-up bs.

I got Sonic 2 for free on Steam (It was a 100% sale), but the other game's I probably won't get to play on Steam when Origins comes out, and my mom's more likely to get the Switch version instead of the Steam version.

You should link to an article so readers can get the full context.

This seems a little anti-consumer on SEGA's part. If someone wants to play one of the classics digitally, Steam versions generally go for around $5-6. Delisting these versions funnels consumers into having to decide whether to buying a full collection when they may only be interested in one of the games. I don't see a practical reason for why this needs to be done.
I forgot that one. Thanks.

What makes me say "F*ck you Sega" is that they wiped out all of those standalone Classic Sonic games from PS Store,but guess who surivived...

Its Sonic 4.

Guess the amount of people sailing the high seas will be multiplied as a result of this. A not-so-subtle reminder that piracy is often an issue with service.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back