Gamepads on SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do you think is a better pick for controls: mouse, keyboard, gamepad, or joystick?

I use Keyboard (my mouse doesn't work): Arrow keys, A= Jump, S= Spindash, D= Ringsling, F= Normal Ringsling, Z= Lightdash, Q= Taunt.

WASD and Mouselook. Absolutely no better combination.

Basically, it's like this: W = forward, S = backward, A = strafe left, D = strafe right. Left mouse button to jump, right mouse button to throw rings, thumb button to spin. Make sure Mouse and Mouselook are turned on, and that Mousemove is turned off.

This is a standard control scheme that is used in many FPS games. It may take time to get used to, but you'll love it once you do, trust me.

Why? Well, you can aim and turn very easily just by moving the mouse. You can sidestep while turning, allowing you to gain greater control of your movement. You can move yourself into a gap or other opening, or position yourself precisely without having to rotate your character. And etc. etc...

Keyboard: movement
Mouse: Action (2 button, 1 wheel)

Arrow Keyes: Movement Turn left/right, move forward/backward
Right Click: ring Toss
Left Click: Jump
Press Wheel: Spin
Wheel 1 up: Lightdash (Just In Case)
Wheel 1 down: Normal Ring Toss.

I hope to get a joystick and use WASD or get a gamepad and do everything on the gamepad.

Left and right should be strafe, not turning. Otherwise you'll have two input methods to turn, which will just be awkward.

(Tries Strafe)

Hmm...it is kinda hard to get used to...I'm still configuring the mouse speed.

Yeah, it'll feel awkward at first, I'm afraid. However, if you're persistent enough, you'll become a natural at it, and you won't want to go back.

I use a gamepad. It's much easier to get used to but lessens your ability to aim and sometimes your ability to do have great movement. However, it is extremely easy to master if you've played a lot of console games. It will only take you a couple days to start doing a lot of acrobatics with a gamepad. Like I said though, it will lessen your precision because a mouse is much better for that. If you think you're handy though, you can occasionally part one hand from your gamepad and move it to the mouse when you need better aiming (Like I do), however it'll feel even more awkward if you try to do that all the time. So if you find yourself needing to use the mouse a whole lot, it's best just to use the keyboard with the mouse.

I've gotten fairly good with a gamepad, to the point to where I can move around like the pros do anyhow.

FoxBlitzz said:
Yeah, it'll feel awkward at first, I'm afraid. However, if you're persistent enough, you'll become a natural at it, and you won't want to go back.
Yes WASD and mouse look are best.

I probably wouldn't have use for a gamepad. I'm fine with these controls:

W: Up
A: Strafe Left
S: Moonwalk
D: Strafe Right
Left Shift: No Mouse Look

Mouse: Aim and Turning
Left Mouse Button: Special Ring Toss
Right Mouse Button: Jump
Scroll Button: Spindash (I should probably bind Ring Dash with it also, just in case)

1/2/3: Character Switch
Ins: Screenshot
Space: This would be used to switch the left mouse button between normal and special ring toss, but I don't know how to alias that in. How would you say "ring normal toss" in console?

I use gamepad for race and coop. I can't control myslef using mouse and keyboard well enough.

My controls for mouse and keyborad:

Special ring toss: left mouse
Normal ring toss: middle mouse
Spindash: right mouse
Movement: arrow keys
lightdash: none
taunt: none

These are the controls I'm okay with.

WASD doesn't suit me, but I use it sometimes. I better start using it again.

Arrow keys = Move forward/backward turn left/right;
Z, right-click, Gamepad button "B2" = Jump;
X, mouse-wheel-down, gamepad button "B1" = Spin(Dash);
C, mouse-wheel-pressed = Strafe;
Gamepad buttons 5 and 6 = Strafe left and right, respectively;
Shift = Lightdash and flag toss;
Left click = Shoot;
Mouse-wheel-up = Shoot normal;
Space = Talk;
`, ¬ (~ on US keyboards) = Console;
Tab = Show scores;
I use mouselook.

I don't really like WASD or similar setups.

My gamepad is more or less a PS2 controller. Button 5 and 6 are R1 and L1; B1 is O, and B2 is X.

Keyboard FTW. If you master it right, its the best way to get superspeed. I sometimes use mouse, but only to help myself with aiming a bit. Rail without mouse sucks. Its the only time when I play with mouse. But when I do, I'm kinda really slow. I just rather jump, dodge, and rapid fire, then run around aiming precisely and shooting as if you have 1 bullet to shoot. Its Sonic here, not Halo or Doom. (Even though SRB2 is a doom mod)

Acually, growing up playing games on the arrow keys, I have good use of the keyboard ALONE. Good stuff for single player.

Yes, I think Glaber has the same kind of Logitech PS2 style controller I use for 2-player games. At the moment, I really am having trouble setting up a double stick FPS setup. Still, Mouselook would be cool if I didn't do so many 2-player games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back