• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Drafting my first level in Blender

Mayoat

Recently while waiting to apply for college in animation career I was reminded of SRB2 by the Ray character mod from Team Combi-Rings and it brought back some memories of trying to create a level in 2020 and remembering how lost I was with Zone Builder and how directionless and over the top my level was. So with the new Ultimate Zone Builder and some free time I decided to try making another level and finish it this time. Right now I'm making a rough concept of the level first on Blender since it's much easier making shapes there.
Post automatically merged:

If I'm allowed to ask questions here, how exactly could I do a scripted sequence like in Radiant Reverie with the rainbow paths? I don't want to make those paths I just want the player to automatically move through the spiral staircase-looking tree (yes it'll be a tree I know it just looks like a rectangle for now)

Attachments

• preview5.png
    preview5.png
    393.3 KB · Views: 46
  • preview4.png
    preview4.png
    758.1 KB · Views: 35
  • preview3.png
    preview3.png
    571.9 KB · Views: 44
  • preview2.png
    preview2.png
    587.8 KB · Views: 34
  • preview1.png
    preview1.png
    740.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Although doing rough concepts first is fine, I'd highly recommend creating stuff within the editor as soon as possible, especially if you're new to mapping. It's one thing to make an idea, but the sooner you know how it actually plays and flows, the more you can refine from that experience and the more intuitive understanding you can build. Being able to make small changes and quickly load it up in the game is very valuable.

Also, you're definitely allowed to ask questions in your own thread, though it's not likely someone knowledgeable will see it. I'd recommend joining the discord if you have specific questions, a lot of mappers, even some of the best in the community, hang out in the mapping sections.

Although doing rough concepts first is fine, I'd highly recommend creating stuff within the editor as soon as possible, especially if you're new to mapping. It's one thing to make an idea, but the sooner you know how it actually plays and flows, the more you can refine from that experience and the more intuitive understanding you can build. Being able to make small changes and quickly load it up in the game is very valuable.

Also, you're definitely allowed to ask questions in your own thread, though it's not likely someone knowledgeable will see it. I'd recommend joining the discord if you have specific questions, a lot of mappers, even some of the best in the community, hang out in the mapping sections.
Yup right now I was in the middle of recreating this part of the map in the editor. Also you're right I should just ask on the server

If I'm allowed to ask questions here, how exactly could I do a scripted sequence like in Radiant Reverie with the rainbow paths? I don't want to make those paths I just want the player to automatically move through the spiral staircase-looking tree (yes it'll be a tree I know it just looks like a rectangle for now)
Radiant Reverie uses its own LUA script. You can ask the creator, PlushimaTitania for permission to use it if you want but it's going to be exactly the same, rainbows and all, unless you still want the rainbows.

Also I forgot to mention with UZB its possible to import blender models as a level, but it's pretty janky.

Last edited:
Do note that mapping in ZB/UZB and modeling in Blender are not exactly the same.

Blender for instance is a full 3D DCC app. while mapping in SRB2 is heavily dependent on its own terminology such as floor, ceiling, sky texture, sector, FoF, ect... which you will have to keep in mind if you want your Blender prototype to translate easily to an SRB2 level.

For example, anything that is not directly attached to the top and bottom bounds of a sector needs to be created by way of an FoF (which would even include things like a tilted wall).

Radiant Reverie uses its own LUA script. You can ask the creator, PlushimaTitania for permission to use it if you want but it's going to be exactly the same, rainbows and all, unless you still want the rainbows.

Also I forgot to mention with UZB its possible to import blender models as a level, but it's pretty janky.
Wait you can import blender projects??? I wish that was available so long ago lol. Do you have a link to a thread that talks about the importing process?

Do note that mapping in ZB/UZB and modeling in Blender are not exactly the same.

Blender for instance is a full 3D DCC app. while mapping in SRB2 is heavily dependent on its own terminology such as floor, ceiling, sky texture, sector, FoF, ect... which you will have to keep in mind if you want your Blender prototype to translate easily to an SRB2 level.

For example, anything that is not directly attached to the top and bottom bounds of a sector needs to be created by way of an FoF (which would even include things like a tilted wall).
True so far in Blender I'm trying to make a minimalist approach to the structure of the level. That's why the most complex thing here besides the staircase are the gates. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Wait you can import blender projects??? I wish that was available so long ago lol. Do you have a link to a thread that talks about the importing process?
Yes you can now. Its in the import tab in UZB. Its janky and experimental but i've seen maps that use it, and its definitely a better way to do things if you want a more detailed, sloped, and realistic environment.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back