Downloading Sonic Music (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, first, I want to let the mods know that it was either create a new topic or bring an old one back from the grave to ask this question. And to all the users out there, sorry I keep bugging you all with this stuff, but I want to make sure I'm not breaking any laws.

The question is this: where can I download video game music from the internet LEGALLY. Even if I have to pay for it, I just want to make sure it's legal. I checked both Napster and iTunes recently, and neither seemed to have anything. I'm especially looking for the SA2 music (the multi-dimensional album I think it's called). I just don't want to get it delivered on a CD when all I'm doing is putting it on my computer anyways. Thanks plenty to anyone who can help.

Try Team Artail or The Sonic Stadium, particularly the FastFeet Media branch. There are a few more out there. VGMusic.com is particularly known for its MIDIs.

He means legally, as in paying for it. And sadly, I don't know of any places that would offer that.

If you own a game, you already paid for it and the music. You're just transferring the file. Think of it that way.

I think you don't understand why it's illegal. It's illegal so that the owner of said music can take legal action against pirates. In the case of Sonic the Hedgehog, SEGA has acknowledged the existence of sites that provide illegal material (One perfect example of the is SonicStuff, where SEGA specifically asked them to remove a Sonic Advance 3 prototype that was releases before Sonic Advance 3 was.), and has let them continuously allowed them to distribute. It's not always a clear-cut case of illegal = bad. If SEGA cared, trust me, you'd know.

But doesn't that still mean the authorities (whomever they may be) have a case against me? That's what I really worry about. Besides, more than anything else, I ask so I can sleep at night. Yes, I can be a little paranoid about things sometimes (why else would this be my 4th (5th?) topic on this subject? :wink: )
Oh, and Boinciel, I DON'T own the games for which I would be looking. That's why I'm actually looking for the music. I only have a PC, and know how I would extract the music for any game that I would actually purchase.
Times like this make me wish SA2DX would be announced or something. :cry:

Antiporcupine said:
But doesn't that still mean the authorities (whomever they may be) have a case against me? That's what I really worry about. Besides, more than anything else, I ask so I can sleep at night. Yes, I can be a little paranoid about things sometimes (why else would this be my 4th (5th?) topic on this subject? :wink: )

No, they really don't. They can't sue in the name of a company. That would invoke legal troubles on that party themselves, and be counterproductive. SEGA has yet to sue, and no suit has been filed in its name, and as far as anyone can tell, that's not likely to happen. SEGA realizes the need for a constant fanbase, and if that fanbase wants music, they aren't likely to say no, because they realize that the music is a small price to pay for what they get in return. They aren't stupid. They understand what's at stake.

Antiporcupine said:
Oh, and Boinciel, I DON'T own the games for which I would be looking. That's why I'm actually looking for the music. I only have a PC, and know how I would extract the music for any game that I would actually purchase.
Times like this make me wish SA2DX would be announced or something. :cry:

Yes, I agree. I'd like to see more PC ports of games, with actual support, not just simplistic crossovers. Prime example is SADXPC, where all they did was port it, and edited some PVMs to display the keyboard over the GCN buttons. There was more there they could have done, they just didn't.

Hmmm.... I don't know why, but it still bugs me. If Sega is okay with it, then why is this stuff copyrighted? Does anyone else have any input? Maybe some mods or something? (*coughSSNMysticShuffleFuriouscough*)

I've never really thought of downloading video game music as a crime. They don't generally sell the music unless it's a soundtrack. Besides, if Sega cared about piracy, wouldn't they have shut down that Sonic ROMs site? :)

Antiporcupine, it's copyrighted so only SEGA can distribute it commercially.
If you were to do a fangame commercial, there's no wonder SEGA will sue.
You must understand that nothing is black or white.
Most people that download Sonic music aren't pirates anyway, they are fans, and suing fans does more harm than good.
Real pirates aren't interested in Sonic music anyway, they're interested in either adult games or some crappy NumaNuma music.

What SEGA does makes everything happy:
1) They get constant monetary gain from Sonic
2) We're happy talking about one of our favorite character without being shot to the back of the head.

Bets are, if SEGA always treated the fanbase with lawsuits, Sonic would have already died.

SEGA's tolerance for the fanbase is somewhat to appreciate.
Nintendo and other companies sue fangamers every now and then.

Getting caught has never been a probelem with SEGA. Quite honestly, as I've stated earlier, they couldn't give a rat's ass about what we do, really. I've been downloading Sonic music and game ROMs for well over six years. I highly doubt you have anything to worry about.

Dark Warrior said:
Getting caught has never been a probelem with SEGA. Quite honestly, as I've stated earlier, they couldn't give a rat's ass about what we do, really. I've been downloading Sonic music and game ROMs for well over six years. I highly doubt you have anything to worry about.

Note: None of us are lawyers and none of us can be held responsible for what others choose to do. If anything happens, we're not to blame.

Sega once forced SonicStuff to remove a Sonic Advance 3 ROM that was hosted there before it's release. After it was removed, they didn't give them any more trouble, despite all of the ROMs and music that were hosted there. They honestly don't care.

Put it this way: If they really cared that others were using their rightfully owned characters, music, roms, and other stuff, this forum would not be here.

Antiporcupine said:
So something may happen? Then NO. Sorry I bothered you all then.

No, something really won't happen. The furthest SEGA ever went was to remove a Sonic Advance 3 beta ROM prior to SAdV3's release. It's all safe, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back