Do you think Sonic Coulors Ultimate will save the Sonic Franchise?

Mr Kixx Reborn

Let's give it all we got!
Since the past decade Sega has given us some mediocre games like Team Sonic Racing, Forces, Lost World, etc. These games have not been reviewed pretty well and It's not looking good for SEGA right now. We did get mania back in 2017 but that game is almost 4 years old now, the game is fun but it's starting to dry out, but since Sonic Coulors Ultimate was announced to come out on September 14 for PS4 & PS5 and I'm wondering if you think that it will save the video game franchise and get Sonic back on track, we know that they have been struggling and when Sonic Colours came out on the Wii back in 2011 it kinda saved the series since it was well reviewed, so I wanna know how you think the game will turn out and if you think it'll get Sonic back on track again like before.

If it's only for the PS4 & PS5 then no. Most fans aren't gonna care, because it won't be on steam. That's a bad move on Sega's side. Hope it comes to PC too.

Honestly, the franchise doesn't need saving. As over-dramatic as people like to be, Sonic is still going strong right now. From between the original release of Colors up until now, Sonic has had several games come out. Colors and Generations were both very positively received, Lost World got mixed reception but is generally regarded as mediocre at worst on average, Mania received high praises, and Forces was mostly disliked. Overall, that's a mostly positive track record.

I quite like that SEGA is choosing to take longer to develop Sonic games. The mediocre yearly turnouts of the mid to late 2000's were likely largely a result of the little time SEGA/Sonic Team spent polishing each game, and the majority of the development of Forces was likely just the Hedgehog Engine 2, which now that it exists shouldn't take up so much dev time. That means the next mainline game has probably actually been in development since not long after Forces came out.

I fully expect Colors Ultimate (Assuming that is actually the name they are going for) to just be a side thing that they release this summer to tide us over until the release of the big mainline game closer to the holidays. There's also rumors going around about a third game coming out this year that is a 2D Modern Sonic game potentially developed by DIMPS, but that's very grain of salt at the moment.

The Sonic franchise is nowhere near dead. The recent games that you used to describe how the series is falling is a spin-off and two games that weren’t actually bad. Let’s not forget that Lost World came out in 2013. The franchise is still doing extremely well not only due to continued fan support, but also because of other media such as the Sonic Movie and the Boom TV Series roping in new fans.

So my answer is that Sonic Colors Ultimate will not save the franchise because there is nothing to save

Maybe
But I will say that other remastered old sonic games such as SA , SA2.... Will do the job l!
Actually a good game for the 30th anniversary can save the franchise too and more

If it's only for the PS4 & PS5 then no. Most fans aren't gonna care, because it won't be on steam. That's a bad move on Sega's side. Hope it comes to PC too.
It dosen't really matter if it's on steam or not, only difference is that you do mods on steam
Post automatically merged:

Keep in mind this is the only Sonic game releasing in 2021, We won't have another game until 2022 and most people are still speculating on Dreamcast era remakes, no main games are coming at the moment but we have the fan games for you to enjoy as well as the people for that matter(Or the community basically).

P.S. The Steam and Sonic Game Messages are different things so don't think those are together

Last edited:
It dosen't really matter if it's on steam or not, only difference is that you do mods on steam

Keep in mind this is the only Sonic game releasing in 2021, We won't have another game until 2022 and most people are still speculating on Dreamcast era remakes, no main games are coming at the moment but we have the fan games for you to enjoy as well as the people for that matter(Or the community basically).
Um it matters to me. Sonic games not going to steam means A LOT of people won't be playing it. I don't have a PS4 or PS5.

Um it matters to me. Sonic games not going to steam means A LOT of people won't be playing it. I don't have a PS4 or PS5.
A lot of Sonic games aren't in steam, a lot of us want Unleashed on steam but it dosen't look like Steam will do that anytime soon, It's also releasing on Switch since... yeah nintendo has kinda gotten every sonic game on their console, my point being is it won't always be on steam so your gonna have to buy a console.

Keep in mind this is the only Sonic game releasing in 2021, We won't have another game until 2022
That we will not see more games until 2022 is not confirmed and we do not know what refers to with that and more in 2022 and could only refer to that we will see more things in that year as well and also Sega already confirmed that there would be games for this year and they never denied it

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/must...ersary-celebrations-seemingly-pushed-to-2022/ Here's some info on Sonic for this year and how there more likely gonna be doing more stuff in 2022

That we will not see more games until 2022 is not confirmed and we do not know what refers to with that and more in 2022 and could only refer to that we will see more things in that year as well and also Sega already confirmed that there would be games for this year and they never denied it
Dude, I never said there wasn't going to be any sonic games coming out in 2021, this thread is literally about Sonic Coulors Ultimate that comes out THIS YEAR, if you didn't see it I suggest you go back and read this whole thread to get caught up

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/must...ersary-celebrations-seemingly-pushed-to-2022/ Here's some info on Sonic for this year and how there more likely gonna be doing more stuff in 2022
That's pretty heavy speculation, and doesn't confirm anything. It doesn't confirm that only one game is coming out this year, or even that the anniversary has been pushed back (which honestly doesn't make any sense. You don't just simply celebrate the 30th anniversary on the 31st anniversary). All it means is that they are counting things such as the Sonic Movie sequel and Sonic Prime and such among their upcoming plans, and by "games" it could even potentially be referring to a tie-in game for the movie and/or show.

Dude, I never said there wasn't going to be any sonic games coming out in 2021, this thread is literally about Sonic Coulors Ultimate that comes out THIS YEAR, if you didn't see it I suggest you go back and read this whole thread to get caught up
Sorry if I did not explain my point well, what I wanted to say is that this is just speculation and it is not confirmed that Sonic Colors Ultimate is the only game in 2021 and Sega had previously said that there will be more than one game in 2021

I wouldn't say that Colors Ultimate would single handedly save the entire franchise as a whole but at least, like Sonic Mania, it would save the general reputation of Sonic to the general public's view.

If Sega really wanted to save Sonic they'd put the Mobile remasters of Sonic 1 and 2, actually manage to port Sonic 3&K again (with a mobile remaster as well), port CD 2011 to modern consoles, allow Mania 2 with 80-90% of unique stages and eventually have a more competent team make another Boost game that is only about Sonic and without short levels like Forces.

Even though I like the idea of porting sonic games to new platforms since it allows new generations and those who couldn't play it back in the day, I don't think any remastering can save the franchise, what I think is that they should put more effort in the new games

Even though I like the idea of porting sonic games to new platforms since it allows new generations and those who couldn't play it back in the day, I don't think any remastering can save the franchise, what I think is that they should put more effort in the new games
Or allow more fans to make actual games.

Or allow more fans to make actual games.
Putting fans in charge of official game development is a heavily risky investment. Making a 2D game like Mania is one thing, but handing off production of a large scale 3D title to fans is heavily unlikely, if such a thing were to go wrong it could heavily damage the reputation of the overall franchise, and as such cut into it's profitability long term. Making such a thing is a heavily complicated endeavor.

Most fan games are composed largely of re-used assets. It's not very often a 3D fan game appears made entirely of original assets that can at all compare to the quality of assets made by a proper team of professionals. I love the idea of fan games acting as inspiration for official devs to draw from to improve their products, but going so far as to hand over the responsibility of making a full scale large budget game to fans would be a heavily risky and reckless endeavor.

It's much more sensible, at least in my eyes, to hire talented fan game devs (Emphasis on talented, not someone who plops a model into Unreal Engine and turns up bloom) to work alongside the other professionals.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back