Dash's World Version 0.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalaron

shot0009zw2.png

Dash's World is a simple level mod that extensively uses features from SRB2CB, it's not intended to be particularly challenging, it's more focused on just having levels with calm flow and unique gimmicks.

Right now it includes 6 single player level and 1 match map

The levels require SRB2CB to run/look as intended.

All custom music in here is copyrighted, I'm the original composer of all the custom tracks.

--------------------------

Game: Don't use the included exe, only use the DashW.wad included.
The package and this front page will be updated shortly.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qyrfy1m1ngo

---------------------------

Ah... Let's see, this is something of quandary for judging. As an EXE, it makes several improvements on OpenGL, adds in some new controls, and tweaks the physics. However, several forced changes in existing objects and object sprites as well as some textures, the HUD(lack of lives, lack of time, "gems" instead of rings, different), and the removal of the "god" console command prevent it from being an effective or worthwhile content platform, especially if any of these things were to be set to change in the future. In addition, the lighting seems skewed towards the brighter levels once seen in 1.09. Additionally, software mode is not present, though it is acknowledged that this is a conscious decision, for the purposes of the levels being designed.

The 1 SP level in question is a NiGHTs map, but the track is broken, and does not remotely follow the setup, and indeed boxes you in on one small side of the map. Given this fact, if it were a level placed in submissions by itself, I would have sent it to trash.

The Match level, while needing many more rings(particularly in the higher floors in the middle) would be passed into releases if presented separately.

All the forced changes make this very hostile towards wad computability, and development for the EXE itself. As an EXE release alone, it would likely be rejected on the grounds that it is not currently at the point at which development on the new platform would be feasible. Easy fixes on this end include making the sprite/object changes held in a separate wad, which can be added at launch to "restore" the state of the game to a point resembling what it is now; otherwise, sprites and objects would be as they are in normal SRB2, sans new physics(in total, the sprite replacements, SOC changes, and HUD changes would be in a wad; particle effects are negligible). This would allow for compatibility with existing wads, which is something that people who download this would be looking forward to; trying out their existing levels with the new EXE changes. This is the preferable way this could be prepared for releases.

However, a more urgent modification required for the feasibility of the EXE in it's own right is the restoration of the TIME entry in the HUD, and lives.

However, as an EXE designed solely to support a levelpack you are designing for it, it could be passed once the NiGHTs level is fixed, though I wouldn't suggest doing this alone, for the reason that this would limit the EXE's lifespan since it couldn't be used on anything else.

In conclusion, I cannot pass this on the merits of the EXE in its own right, on the merits of the SP level, or the merits of an EXE supporting the level without some of these issues being dealt with. But, given the obvious merits of what has been done, it does not deserve to be placed in the trash. For now, the topic will be left in submissions for a week or so, while you may choose to address either of the aforementioned issues. After that, if this has not yet been brought to a releasable state, this topic will be merged with the existing topic in editing, where the previous Dash's World topic is.

Good job getting this far, and I wish you the best of luck in fixing this up for a spot in Releases - Mods.

It's being developed for it. I was gonna wait till Zone 2 was finished, but, hey, why not now?

Uh, no, there gems are there because of Dash's World, if I played it in SRB2, there would be rings.

This is pretty strange, my topic got moved to the releases section and I haven't updated the package yet. Because of the advice Prime gave, I wanted to fix everything that he said was wrong with the exe before this got moved, and also netplay stuff like Cue suggested. If this topic doesn't get moved back, then I'll seperate the exe and the level pack (keeping the levels designed for the exe in this topic) and releasing a much more general exe mod that doesn't break netplay, has all the stuff needed to play the levels and such, and all the forced changes removed.

So many things about this release are amazing. Unfortunately, it lags pretty bad. Also, why'd you change around the default controls?

One of the problems I had with this Mod is that Like Sa-x said Its lag coming out of nowhere. Also The original SRB2 music ain't in the lump because when I got to techno zone act 1 it says music lump04 not found! Also didn't 1.09.04a made knuckles strife while gliding?

In a long story short, good but needs some fixing.

steveb96 said:
1)One of the problems I had with this Mod is that Like Sa-x said Its lag coming out of nowhere. 2) Also The original SRB2 music ain't in the lump because when I got to techno zone act 1 it says music lump04 not found! 3) Also didn't 1.09.04a made knuckles strife while gliding?

1) It doesn't come out of Nowhere. Dash uses lots of FOFs and sectors, causing lag to happen a lot. Plus, he uses OGL light area things that double the lag. :/

2) You probably didn't copy Music.DTA into the alternate folder you put the game in. That, or you deleted your Music file. o-O

3) Strife while gliding? Never noticed that. o_o

1 other problem I forgot to mention. It tells me to find Glrender and this didn't give me this when I played dash's mod before.
EDIT: I have glrender right here so why the crap does it think I don't have it?
EDIT 2: Never mind it just worked.

@ HSX: Yeh, you can strafeglide. Good for going side to side w/o actually having to turn, therefore saving height and time.

Anyway, back on topic:

This mod is pretty good. As Prime_2 said, The NiGHTS track is slightly broken, but it's pretty good overall. It lags me a little, but I like the fact that it actually LAUNCHES in OpenGL without having to use a .bat file.

Also, TRAMPOLINES! WHEEE!

Ok, where the HECK is the NiGHTS track broken?! o-o

Seriously, I used it a lot when beta testing. I never noticed the break in the track. Either it's just not where I go in the track, or I don't get what "broken" means in this context >.>

He doesn't work on this anymore, he moved it all over to SRB2CB, has something to do with making it more friendly for wadders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back