• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Centigrade - Public Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's technically a levelpack. To be a mod it would have to do something other than include more levels.

Heheh, you created new textures for the doors in NSZ2. It's technically a mod now, whether you like it or not. :P

... and add a gamedata feature. Done. We have a mod.

BZ4, your modesty is irritating us.

I'd rather not require the player to scrounge through the dirtywork of finding all the emerald tokens until I have more content in the pack to enjoy.

I hope you can fix NSZ2. Last time I hosted Centigrade, my players got ~10 c-fails. We started the map, but if someone moves 1 inch, players gets c-kicked.

(Poor SRB2Guy)

A little "bug" report:

NSZ1: Sector 253 is set as normal, not as 993. Then starpost will not work properly.

(This information is also on the first post.)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u3s4ik

Now that it's summer, I've got a whole lot of free time on my hands and I figured I'd revisit FFZ2 again. Since FFZ2 has already run the gauntlet of OLDC, it's fair game to develop it in plain sight. Fortunately for you guys, I'm too lazy to separate FFZ2 from all of my other maps, so you guys have the privilege of testing all of my other maps too. However, that also means there's two (or three?) unreleased maps in here, so don't go past FFZ3 (MAP07) if you don't want to spoil it for yourself.

Granted, the main thing to keep in mind is that I want feedback on FFZ2 more than all of the other levels in the pack. It's perfectly fine if you want to yell at me and tell me that I made some bad changes to NSZ since you last saw it, but please focus your attention towards FFZ2.

Oh, and because this is beta testing, I am not to be help responsible if you can't finish a given level, I left in a testing spawn, or the end of NSZ2's switchhunt now crashes your game. For future reference, "centigrade.wad" is always a WIP version taken straight from the depths of my harddrive. "scr_centigrade.wad" is a more polished version that is intended as a standard version that should (but isn't) able to be played on netgames and all that.

If I left anything else out, feel free to yell at me about that too~

I see that you're rebuilding the ending stretch of the original FFZ2. From what I can see, you stopped working at the end of the path with the crumbling water blocks. The new switches look interesting, and I'd like to see what they do once you get finished with them. That's all fine and well, but something has been bothering me.

I've been meaning to ask what sort of level are you trying to make? I guess I could reword that as, "What sort of inspiration are you working under?" While there really isn't anything wrong with how you make your levels, they just seem to be less Sonic-orientated and more...aesthetic-reliant. Although FFZ2 looks extraordinary, it plays with the same caliber as GFZ1. There really isn't anything that makes the level stand out other than the vibrant texture usage and the sector layout.

That's why I want to know. I may be looking at your levels in the wrong mindset, and perhaps you see a different type of fun in this than I'm currently comprehending. Until I do, I can't really give you good feedback without feeling like I'm just going to be biased about how boring the gameplay is.

The part with the floating, crumbling platforms next to the non functioning buttons would have done a whole water-level-changing thing almost on par with Sonic Adventure 2. That said, I have no idea how I would give the player an incentive to not have the water level at full strength. Suggestions are welcome.

When I am in the mood for designing a level, it's because I suddenly get a great idea (usually about an incredibly good looking area) and start building for looks. I totally understand that FFZ2 has zero challenge. Partly, though, I've stuck myself in this corner myself. Additionally, the epically drawn out development time results from both me not having great ideas all that often and also the fact that quite a lot of the time I'm not happy with what I have so I either spend more time perfecting what's in front of me or I outright scrap the room.

Granted, I think Bittersweet (MAP08) has more gameplay potential both because it's an ice level and it's not really very far at all. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm not surprised.

I don't have much thing to say, but this is a thing I wanted to say: FFZ2 is amazing level, but, as you've said, doesn't offer challenge, OTOH FFZ2 is perfect to be an award level, like Golden Sands Zone of Mystic Realm: you collect X emblems or something and you unlock it.

I loved FFZ2 as it's done before, when I played the new version, I felt you amputated some "member". Even so, I'm believing you can make something interesting... I'm not complaining.

(Looking forward)

That said, I have no idea how I would give the player an incentive to not have the water level at full strength.

Have doorways on ground level that are only accessible when the water is not at its highest? Think "floodgates".

Also, I believe your levels could totally benefit if you raised the "surreal" vibe I'm getting from them to another level. I can't really tell you how you'd do this, but it would be something that I'd like to see happen.

The word surreal is totally accurate, even in NSZ. However, your wording feels confusing. Do you suggest I raise the surreal-ness in all of my levels, or take all of the surreal-ness out and make a level that is surreal to the max? I've also got a NiGHTS level floating around that seems to be the kind of surreal that you're thinking of, anyhow.

Ezer.Arch said:
I loved FFZ2 as it's done before, when I played the new version, I felt you amputated some "member". Even so, I'm believing you can make something interesting... I'm not complaining.
Nice English, man. For the record, I assume "OTHO" means "Of Thy Humble Opinion."

The only redeeming part of the ending of the contest version of FFZ2 was a copypaste of an old unreleased CTF map I had lying around. I'd like to incorporate the ideas from it somewhere else in the level, but I'm not entirely sure where.

I'd also like to do something incredibly innovative with the emblems, but right now my biggest concern is what's on my plate.

I'd suggest that you do something with FFZ2 to make it really emphasize the calm, otherworldly feel that you seem to be trying to capture. I want to see something in this level that one could only dream about, is what I'm getting at. Do something amazing with some linedef executors, or something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back