• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Botanic Serenity Version 2 in 0 days! UPDATE: 9/16/2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I thought you said you were done with this! :)

Even though I can run this at high end no problem, I've got a few suggestions. Little things.

There were a few waterfalls that were going into nowhere. There were rivers above the ground, and also the "blocks" of flower bed are a little weird.

lucius octavion said:

Even though I can run this at high end no problem, I've got a few suggestions. Little things.

There were a few waterfalls that were going into nowhere. There were rivers above the ground, and also the "blocks" of flower bed are a little weird.

I think the waterfalls were intentional, and the river was definitely intentional.

Preliminary tests show promising results, I think. Standing still in the same area, BSZv1 hovers around 12-13 FPS, while BSZv2 hovers around 14-15 FPS. If I remember correctly, that holds at least a bit of significance. More optimizations will be pursued, if I can try to do so. :)

Thanks for all your support so far, guys. I quite appreciate it!

DashFox2007 said:
I was just kidding, my ego isn't very big at all, I didn't seriously mean that, I'm sorry if I offended you Digiku.
No problem, sir. I don't mind that at all. :) It's always good to have a little competition, so long as it's healthy!

lucius octavion said:
At one point, I was! :P

lucius octavion said:

Yeah. I guess one would have to be familiar with NiGHTS Into Dreams to get the feel of the above-ground rivers and the going-nowhere waterfalls. It's a dream world, see, so I thought I'd go a little abstract with that.

I dunno. I'm thinking of ways I can make that idea a little more obvious, since you did raise an interesting point.

GCFreak said:
I think the waterfalls were intentional, and the river was definitely intentional.
Yeah. :P

Dude_ said:
Port of Spring Hill Zone from SRB2.
Funny story there, actually. But let's not talk about that right now! *tease*

Though, on another topic, I actually thought of bundling a decoration pack with BSZv2. I'd construct one example map showing various visual decoration techniques that others would be free to use. The main driving point behind this is that the flowers aren't even mine; I just edited them.

And that gives me an interesting idea: let's bundle multiplayer maps with BSZ. I'm not thinking of anything too crazy, and this is only if I have the time, but maybe I could redecorate some Match maps etc. from the community all super-detailed and in BSZ-style (not slow, though,) and then package them with BSZ. They'll be available at the start of the game, too.

Given that, who likes that idea; and who'd like to donate some maps? (You get credits! And they don't have to be GFZ-themed, either!) :)

Optimization tips:

If you have any completely solid (non-transparent) textures on any midtextures of linedefs, remove them and instead use line type 242 to make the ground intangibly extrude (well, 242 in 1.09.4, at least. Forget what it is now).

Using 242 is also faster than making a FOF, too.

Sprites take less time to process and draw than a wall. If you wanted, you could create a flag that tells the game to ignore certain sprites when clipping for draw distance (i.e., draw them no matter how far they are away).

---------------------
As for multiplayer, I'm not sure if that was originally considered and may not work. Might want to test it out, first.

I have another suggestion, you should have a contest in which people submit NiGHTs levels. The greatest ones get to be heavily detailed and updated by you, and then you put it into BSZv2.

What do you know, I did upgrade my PC. Now it runs it better than my brother's. It would be nice to have the redecorated match thing, though.

I personally would like to have BSZv2's item placement well-suited for "Score Attacking", as much of the original NiGHTS's level designs and object placement were designed with score attacking in mind. However, you might have a little trouble doing this due to the large size of each mare, as much of score attacking consists of making multiple laps for getting big links, and just plain racking the score up in general. However, throwing in a lot of content in each mare could be the solution I guess.

To my knowledge, the whole doing more laps thing was possible because the items respawned. In SRB2, NiGHTS items don't respawn.

Yeah, unfortunately, that and the inability to do nice tight paraloops. Also, the problem with speed runs is the total lack of smooth turning.

UPDATE: 9/16/2007 - New screenshots!

bszv2_1.png

bszv2_2.png

How does the second screenshot look? That's BSZ's "upper area". The entire ground is covered with flowers like that.

As for the report on performance, it's a little uneven right now. Darn it. Fortunately there are a bunch of optimizations I can do. I'm almost done with revamping the appearance; optimizations come next.

Linedef flowers have been completely eliminated. I identified those as the biggest framerate culprit.

A better boss is on the horizon. It's starting to shape up nicely.

Titanium said:
I personally would like to have BSZv2's item placement well-suited for "Score Attacking", as much of the original NiGHTS's level designs and object placement were designed with score attacking in mind. However, you might have a little trouble doing this due to the large size of each mare, as much of score attacking consists of making multiple laps for getting big links, and just plain racking the score up in general. However, throwing in a lot of content in each mare could be the solution I guess.
Item placement, yes. I recognize a few places where it can be tightened up a bit; you know, for continuous links, since right now it actually feels a little weird trying to keep that up. I'll put it on the to-do list!

That big thok barrier in the middle of the level, I know it has to be to either help remove lag, or to help avoid those annoying HOMs, but couldn't you give a GFZROCK to not make it look weird? You've got your beautiful scenery all around, but some kind of space-time mirror in the middle.

Actually, I think it looks fine in the middle. I don't know about you, but a big wall of GFZROCk seems kinda out of place. :/

But ooh, those flower flats look pretty. Too bad 3drend won't replace them. :(

They're not Froot loops, they're Trix. See, they don't have any holes in them.
"Silly hedgehog, trix are for fat scientists!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back