• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Bark the Polar Bear (Concept)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Restless Dipstick

A guy that exists
So, I exist again. This is an idea that's been in my mind for a while, so I figured I'd share it here. I dunno if if I'll ever get to this (I already have a Bean Mod to make, and Mighty resprites to work on, both of which I also dunno when I'll get back to), but I think that Bark the Polar Bear from Sonic the Fighters could make for a really cool character in SRB2, since the fact that he's a grappler could lead to some really cool gameplay mechanics, which I've outlined here.

attachment.php

Along side this, I made a little sprite for how he could look in game (I'm not the best sprite artist).

attachment.php

Just thought this'd be neat to share before someone way more skilled in scripting and/or making sprites inevitably beats me to it.

Attachments

• SRB2 Bark concept.jpg
    SRB2 Bark concept.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 6,566
  • SRB2 Bark Sprite Concept Upscaled.png
    SRB2 Bark Sprite Concept Upscaled.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 7,968
If someone else makes Bean the Dynamite, then it will be an awesome crossover from Sonic the Fighters.

I haven't studied it for sure, but I think Bark on the sprite doesn't look as thick as it really is. But it looks cute.

DUUUDE, this concept sounds super cool. Love the multiple throws you'd be able to pull off, and a Zangief reference too?

Half-replying to the last comment: I think I can see what you're talking about, but I can't put my finger on it. MotorRoach made a spriting tutorial on which he made a Bark sprite, so I think that'd be a good place to look?

Ok, for starters, this concept is absolutely GLORIOUS.

Though, you may want to get some spriting help, since looking at that front facing sprite, it doesn't look as well compared next to sonic.

..................OR you could try and reference motorroach's bark sprite, since he made one step by step in his tutorial in the SRB2 Discord.

I look forward to seeing where this bark goes!

Quick Little Update

So, I guess, I'm starting to fully develop Bark now. You guys liking the idea was kinda the push to make me follow through with making him. I won't give any hard dates on when to expect him to be released, but I'll try to share updates when I can. I'll also need help with lua scripting, but I'll ask when for help once his sprites are actually done. Speaking of, any feedback or suggestions on the spritework is always appreciated.

Attachments

• Idle Angles.gif
    Idle Angles.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 2,688
  • Walk A.gif
    Walk A.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,049
So, I guess, I'm starting to fully develop Bark now. You guys liking the idea was kinda the push to make me follow through with making him. I won't give any hard dates on when to expect him to be released, but I'll try to share updates when I can. I'll also need help with lua scripting, but I'll ask when for help once his sprites are actually done. Speaking of, any feedback or suggestions on the spritework is always appreciated.

giving an actual date makes the work more stressing.
also he do be walking doe

Almost forgot this was in development. Looks great so far!
One bit of feedback I'd like to give about the sprite work is related to his walk animation (which, I imagine is not completely finished?). The movement of his limbs is good! But it kinda sticks out that his torso and head remain completely still; maybe an adjustment could be made so that they sway left and right a bit, like the Vanilla characters?

this looks epic
all i gotta say
can't wait for releases and good luck

For the moveset, something like Cacee could work, since he's the Power-type from Team Hooligan

so, i guess, i'm starting to fully develop bark now. You guys liking the idea was kinda the push to make me follow through with making him. I won't give any hard dates on when to expect him to be released, but i'll try to share updates when i can. I'll also need help with lua scripting, but i'll ask when for help once his sprites are actually done. Speaking of, any feedback or suggestions on the spritework is always appreciated.
mega cooool

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

the cool thing is i'm doing a bean mod, we could be the first to round up the hooligans

Speaking of, any feedback or suggestions on the spritework is always appreciated.

For what you've shown, I can only really echo the "rotate the rest of the body" statement — I like the way he looks there! There are a few other things, though:
Your sprites seem to have too much anti-aliasing, creating a banding effect where the different sections of colors hug each other.
There also seems to be a lack of an in-between color for these color transitions, and I believe(?) shading him as you are now will result in him looking much darker colored, even if his lighter creme-ish color was replicated — this is due to how quickly the green's value goes down, rather than it getting darker a bit slower.
As mentioned earlier, the SRB2 Official Discord has a few resources to counter such things, but if Discord isn't your thing I think I could pass some over (or there are other resources).

Also, for his size: how does he compare to a Sir Lance-a-bot? He seems pretty big, and I think those enemies would be a good size comparison — though then again, Bark is pretty massive in all his appearances.

i was thinking that one of the moves must me Bark taking a rock from the ground and throwing it to enemies (another way to hit enemies/bosses), and the rock Bark takes changes for each type of ground you are in at the moment

Hey, this is a very promising concept, and it's really nice to see someone taking interest in making Bark! The sprites for him just kind of bother me a tad because they stray too far from how Bark's design looks, and also because of how overshaded the sprites look (SRB2 sprites benefit from having a more solid and simplistic shading, basically). I do have a slightly old SRB2 sprite tutorial that might help you figuring out the style a bit better, separated in three parts: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

Also, here's the Bark sprite from the tutorial by itself... although I gave it a tad of a clean up, compared to what it looked like before. By all means, you're free to use it in your mod, if you feel it helps!

bork.png

Hey, this is a very promising concept, and it's really nice to see someone taking interest in making Bark! The sprites for him just kind of bother me a tad because they stray too far from how Bark's design looks, and also because of how overshaded the sprites look (SRB2 sprites benefit from having a more solid and simplistic shading, basically). I do have a slightly old SRB2 sprite tutorial that might help you figuring out the style a bit better, separated in three parts: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

Also, here's the Bark sprite from the tutorial by itself... although I gave it a tad of a clean up, compared to what it looked like before. By all means, you're free to use it in your mod, if you feel it helps!

bork.png

Funnily enough, I was making a bark A1 based off of this too! Forgot this existed though lol

You can also use it for you mod!

image-2.png_11.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back