• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Ashen WIP Thread

RitzyJuice885

make believes reborn
the deltachars dlc!!!!!! the deltachars dlc is reaaaaaaal!!!!

(not actually affiliated with deltachars)

srb20049.png

self insert oc that is also from a deltarune fangame im making

ideass.png

move ideas!! hold your applause, i truly am an artist

she also has a "perseverance" meter that acts as backup hp in case u got no rings

size comparison featuring kris deltarune from kris deltarune

srb20051.png

perseverance hud is obviously not final, it'll look presentable at some point i swear

srb20096.gif

very early version of the shadowy invincibility thingy

anyway uhh thats it please be hyped for my hardcore plus awesome mod

Attachments

• srb20096.gif
    srb20096.gif
    4.1 MB · Views: 73
ok so this thread got approved without me even knowing about it so i apologize for the lack of updates, BUT!!!1 BIG UPDATE!! KINDA

pretty much all the code is done, the css art and description is done, and we've got 3 out of 5 STND sprites and a goalpost sprite!!!!!

srb20102.png
srb20105.png

business is indeed boomin'

btw anyone got any advice on how to make walk/run sprites?? i'm struggling with them so much
Post automatically merged:

all STNDs are done

ignore the absolute mess on the left, i'm working on it
srb20000.gif

Last edited:
hey just posting to say that i have continued work on this after forgetting about it for god knows how long. please dont lock this thread o great moderators :pray emoji:

btw im not really sure if her moveset flows well. everyone please playtest this pk3 if you have the time to do so and let me know if you think anything could be changed/replaced

Attachments

• ash code test.pk3
    671.6 KB · Views: 60
btw im not really sure if her moveset flows well. everyone please playtest this pk3 if you have the time to do so and let me know if you think anything could be changed/replaced
first off, the pk3 as presented here doesn't...actually work, unfortunately. the OLDC swapper name line in the lua file causes it to error out and dismiss the rest of the script entirely. i went and commented it out in SLADE, and it seemed to work fine from there. weird.

anyway, i do have a couple of gripes and equally a couple of good things to say about what you've presented so far.

The Good:
  • i do really enjoy having a defensive ability instead of an actively offensive one, it's a nice change of pace even if it isn't reeeally movement based. it's a fun idea.
  • it works pretty well in boss fights especially, even if the extent to which it's useful is only slightly higher than regular gameplay.
  • having a projectile on the jump ability is a little weird, but it's not something i've seen before so i'm here for it. it at least gives me a way to beat CEZ3, and it's a fun way to space out bosses.
  • combining invisibility and the jump ability is a no brainer, and it works. it's not something i have a ton to say about since it's literally a double jump, but it works well.
    • following on from that, having the pv meter stop draining when using the jump ability makes a ton of sense and prevents excess usage. nice catch.
  • the sprites, even if they're a little more stiffly animated, do invoke the style of deltachars pretty well. i like em.
The Not-Great:
  • i found the pv meter to constantly be empty for most of my playtime, for multiple reasons, which is kind of a bummer.
    • i think it drains just sliiiightly too quickly. i know it drains that quickly to prevent abuse of the invincibility, but making it last just a little bit longer would be appreciated.
    • i appreciate that different things restore the pv meter, such as rings, super ring monitors and 1-up monitors, but i think it'd go a long way if defeating enemies contributed to this as well, especially during boss fights, where otherwise there's no way to restore any of it.
  • the invincibility is a little overpowered. for the most part it works perfectly and is balanced pretty well, but once you get to stages like egg rock or aerial garden it can become very exploitable. the most egregious examples being that you can pretty effectively dodge drowning by turning invisible when the timer hits 0, or avoiding literal death pits by...standing on them while it's active.
srb20231.gif

it IS pretty funny though...
  • i think ashen could do with just one more movement ability, preferably a horizontal movement option. it's not a huge deal, but it does leave a little to be desired when the fastest you can move is via srb2's slippery running. totally up to you though, that's more of a me thing.​
overall it's a pretty promising mod, i enjoyed the time i played it. nice work so far.

first off, the pk3 as presented here doesn't...actually work, unfortunately. the OLDC swapper name line in the lua file causes it to error out and dismiss the rest of the script entirely. i went and commented it out in SLADE, and it seemed to work fine from there. weird.
whoops forgot to take that out

i found the pv meter to constantly be empty for most of my playtime, for multiple reasons, which is kind of a bummer.
  • i think it drains just sliiiightly too quickly. i know it drains that quickly to prevent abuse of the invincibility, but making it last just a little bit longer would be appreciated.
  • i appreciate that different things restore the pv meter, such as rings, super ring monitors and 1-up monitors, but i think it'd go a long way if defeating enemies contributed to this as well, especially during boss fights, where otherwise there's no way to restore any of it.
  • the invincibility is a little overpowered. for the most part it works perfectly and is balanced pretty well, but once you get to stages like egg rock or aerial garden it can become very exploitable. the most egregious examples being that you can pretty effectively dodge drowning by turning invisible when the timer hits 0, or avoiding literal death pits by...standing on them while it's active.
srb20231.gif

it IS pretty funny though...
funny, it's usually full most of the time i play. maybe it's just down to playstyle

i'll make it drain slower, and make defeating enemies contribute to restoring it. as for the drowning/pit exploits,, that is not meant to happen i'll fix that asap

i think ashen could do with just one more movement ability, preferably a horizontal movement option. it's not a huge deal, but it does leave a little to be desired when the fastest you can move is via srb2's slippery running. totally up to you though, that's more of a me thing.​
i did consider this but i want to keep her moveset to jump and spin. originally, exiting invincibility would teleport you a short distance forward, but i found that to be too jarring + using it against walls would teleport you to the top. i myself have given up trying completely but if you have an idea i'd be happy to try it

hey just posting to say that i have continued work on this after forgetting about it for god knows how long. please dont lock this thread o great moderators :pray emoji:

i liked the sword design, looked like it would be used in SRB2 infinity.
other then that, the same thing with silvervortex.

unfortunately. the OLDC swapper name line in the lua file causes it to error out and dismiss the rest of the script entirely. i went and commented it out in SLADE, and it seemed to work fine from there. weird.
It seems like the issue here is that not only is the function not in a hook, but there is also no check for the OLDC namespace, which is required for the function to work properly, as stated by Tatsuru:

1695231690631.png

I already took it upon myself to resolve this issue with a PlayerThink hook (don't ask why, it's just my hook of choice for stuff like this):

1695232779072.png

A hook that looks like this should set any character's full name to what they want it to be without any console spam (provided they change the skin name and full name to their desired character's). So, there you go.

Attachments

• ash code test.pk3
    671.7 KB · Views: 65
Made some tweaks based on SilverVortex's feedback. Feel free to playtest and tell me if anything else needs changing.

I should also add that this pk3 is for playtesting ONLY; if I see any showcase videos or servers hosting this pk3 I will declare war and by declare war I mean curl up in a corner and cry

Attachments

• ash code test.pk3
    515 KB · Views: 79
  • Cool!
Reactions: W.S
Two things of note from my end:​

srb20062.png
srb20063.png

Ashen's perseverance bar isn't placed correctly in non-green resolutions.
It's... kind of awkward, to say the least, but I'm not really sure what can be done about it without maybe rewriting a part of the code.

I can't seem to upload a GIF of this next one for some reason, so you're gonna have to try it yourself, but Ashen doesn't gain perseverance from the coins in Pipe Towers Zone. An easy fix, thankfully - just add a check for MT_COIN in the TouchSpecial hook that gives Ashen perseverance upon collecting a ring.

Also, this is a minor nitpick more than anything else, but I find it weird that Ashen can't throw her daggers directly at enemies and/or bosses, just... forward. Maybe add that in as something that happens once you get close enough to a target?

I've already expressed how much I like this mod on the SRB2 Discord sever, and I hope the two issues I listed off (and potentially the non-homing daggers? eh? eh?) will be resolved before release. Wish you luck in finishing Ashen, Ritzy! :knuxsmug:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back