An idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arf

I've came up with the idea for slopes.
I didn't want to put this in the stuff to puut on.... topic, because it has been asked for and it's only a petition, not an idea.
How about this...
Make a control sector outside the level with a diagonal linedef, and tag the diagonaled wall to a sector desired and use that as a slpoe.
I don't know anything about proggramming, but I believe you must flip the wall with some special code, and tag it to a sector.
Does that idea make sense?

Here is a problem (that is REALLY a problem)... DOOM engines don't support slopes... :( Just create something similar to them using a lot of small sectors (as in the end of GFz2)

The problem is in the floors and roofs, Arf.

EDIT: Wow! Two posts in less than 1 minute!

No, simply that DOOM engines can't show floor and roof "sloped" (I maked this word because I don't know what is the exact word). They aren't 3D engines, just pseudo-3D engines. I know it.

This is other thing.

Turn gravity is an FX of the SRB2.

Turn camera is really a scroll of it, because it's really impossible. The effect was the same in 1st person.

Making a diagonal linedef wouldn't do anything, linedefs are for walls, not floors or ceilings :/

But, if you can manage to shift the gravity so it goes horizontal instead of vertical, then you MIGHT be able to run on the wall o.o.

Shuffle said:
Making a diagonal linedef wouldn't do anything, linedefs are for walls, not floors or ceilings :/

But, if you can manage to shift the gravity so it goes horizontal instead of vertical, then you MIGHT be able to run on the wall o.o.
Nope. Not going to happen. The software renderer can't view things straight up or down, remember?

Arf said:
Make a control sector outside the level with a diagonal linedef, and tag the diagonaled wall to a sector desired and use that as a slpoe.
I don't know anything about proggramming, but I believe you must flip the wall with some special code, and tag it to a sector.
They are programmers, right? They could be able to modificate the code,with a code that would let you tag diagonal sectors and flip them, just as if you were flipping the wall and putting it into the tagged floor.

Guys, lemme explain this once more:

Slopes are not in SRB2. It has nothing to do with setting it up or making Sonic run on it, it has everything to do with how damn hard it would be to get the game to draw them on-screen. Slanted floors just don't work the way Doom renders the graphics, and it would require someone highly proficient in Linear Algebra (college course, not high school Algebra) and C to even have a chance to add slopes to the game.

In other words, no matter how many times you say we should add slopes in SRB2 by <insert way to define a slope in a wad format here>, it's not going to happen because the game can't display it.

End of story.

Mystic said:
Guys, lemme explain this once more:

Slopes are not in SRB2. It has nothing to do with setting it up or making Sonic run on it, it has everything to do with how damn hard it would be to get the game to draw them on-screen. Slanted floors just don't work the way Doom renders the graphics, and it would require someone highly proficient in Linear Algebra (college course, not high school Algebra) and C to even have a chance to add slopes to the game.

In other words, no matter how many times you say we should add slopes in SRB2 by <insert way to define a slope in a wad format here>, it's not going to happen because the game can't display it.

End of story.
Now you understand why I said that it's impossible, Arf?

I could do it (see Wizard), but the main problem lies in that the Doom renderer isn't able to render slopes because of the speedy way it draws. To have it draw slopes, you would have to completely redesign the rendering system.

So, They can be made, but can't be displayed.
I didn't know they couldn't be displayed, I thought they couldn't be done.

SSNTails said:
I could do it (see Wizard), but the main problem lies in that the Doom renderer isn't able to render slopes because of the speedy way it draws. To have it draw slopes, you would have to completely redesign the rendering system.
I think that the only way to do this is create a engine fully 3D.

though that makes me wonder how the hell ZDoom does slopes with what you just said SSN. did they do some massive rewrite of the engine code to get it working or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back