• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Amateur solutions to professional problems: The Pig Mod

Mmm so at that rate-- at 1/4 it might take you around 3.5 months~ at minimum, But... Well- This is a Really big mod, So it will prob take 5 months, And thats pretty soon im my book, Your doin grate :)
Post automatically merged:

Also i like the vheicle distrolcun, Would be cool if you could see each part's health [toggleable in commands, off by default]
But... I just want to ask two questions.
Will you replace boss stage's or will you find a way to keep them?
How will 2d handle? Flatten? Make new vehicle for 2d? Or maybe have some parts phase thru Some walls?
Which ever you choose... It will be alright. :)
This mod is going to be great.
Imagine like 2d flat but you can't see the vehicle but cool

does it lag alot in multiplayer
It's a slippery slope when bringing pig into multiplayer. One pig will not cause any amount of substantial lag unless they attempt to make a very complex creation. However, regular old vehicles can also possibly get laggy with enough pigs in multiplayer. So overall, it all depends on the amount of players, and the complexity of their creations.

wait there is a teleporter in the srb2 bus map, idk if the vehicles get destroyed by it
I have since tested pig on SRB2Bus because of the previous message and can indeed confirm it works perfectly. The teleporters have no discernable effect on vehicles.

Also i like the vheicle distrolcun, Would be cool if you could see each part's health [toggleable in commands, off by default]
This is simply not feasible without cluttering the screen and making the game lag more with complex creations. Due to the way SRB2 works, you'd have to spawn a new object just for the healthbar of each object, which would get cluttered fast due to overlapping. I haven't even mentioned that sprites can't render over other sprites in front of them yet, so you'd get a bunch of healthbars hidden inside other parts.
However, I am planning on making parts flash red when at low health.

But... I just want to ask two questions.
Will you replace boss stage's or will you find a way to keep them?

A category of parts that I'm planning on adding is weapons. e.g. Cannons, guns, catapults, you get it. My current plan for bossfights is to pause the boss thinker while building in singleplayer so that the boss doesn't attack the player as they try to scramble something together.

How will 2d handle? Flatten? Make new vehicle for 2d? Or maybe have some parts phase thru Some walls?
Which ever you choose... It will be alright. :)
This mod is going to be great.

The vehicle editor already works beautifully. All I need to do really is disable left and right movement for the editor in 2D and that part will be perfect. However, as for everything else, I'm still figuring it out.
1648950669035.png

My current plan is to flatten everything to a 2D grid based on depth priority.
i.e. Parts further to the right will be shown over top of parts further to the left.
1648951692143.png

That should be all.
I always check this thread, so feel free to ask questions!
(Although, it'll usually be a while before I reply because I like to wait until there's a substantial amount of questions to answer)

so uh, if going in the builder in singleplayer pauses the game to let you cobble together something without being bombarded or hit while building, are you just a sitting duck in multiplayer while you build? if so, i feel like that'd be quite unfortunate in race

So what made you decide to try bringing funni finish swine into SRB2?

Just a matter of "I really enjoy Bad Piggies?"

Btw do you just start with all of the parts you can use?

Last edited:
i have a very interesting question for you, you've played bad piggies? there's also a cannon with a suction cup, so do you think it's possible to integrate it into srb2?

The vehicle editor already works beautifully. All I need to do really is disable left and right movement for the editor in 2D and that part will be perfect. However, as for everything else, I'm still figuring it out.
View attachment 66271
My current plan is to flatten everything to a 2D grid based on depth priority.
i.e. Parts further to the right will be shown over top of parts further to the left.
Oh my god your so cool.

so uh, if going in the builder in singleplayer pauses the game to let you cobble together something without being bombarded or hit while building, are you just a sitting duck in multiplayer while you build? if so, i feel like that'd be quite unfortunate in race
Pausing the game in this context means to freeze enemies targeting the player, rather than everything entirely. There's not much I can do in multiplayer regarding this.
Also, why play pig in Race? Have you considered... Hog Circuit:?:

I guess a minor theme in these responses is multiplayer gamemodes. (There's only like two questions about it)

So what made you decide to try bringing funni finish swine into SRB2?

Just a matter of "I really enjoy Bad Piggies?"
For one: that.
But it moreso started just because I thought it'd be funny to see people react to an Angry Birds Pig beside Sonic.
Cursed characters were, and still are, my motto.

unknown.png

Btw do you just start with all of the parts you can use?
Technically, yes. But I plan to make most parts cost rings. Parts like wood will not cost rings.

i have a very interesting question for you, you've played bad piggies? there's also a cannon with a suction cup, so do you think it's possible to integrate it into srb2?
While I've deliberately canned sticky wheels due to vehicle tilting being impossible with the way pig is coded, a grappling hook type part isn't out of the question.

Can you have a Pig derby in multiplayer? (can vehicles damage eachother if they go fast enough)
Already planned. Vehicles currently have no effect on eachother, but that will change later.
1649193656545.png

can pig build rocket to go into space?????? Huh?! can they?!

Anyways...
How does water and or lava work?
And can we make turn off the limit for part building?
+ Can we more... "Good" Looking builds? (Ie: A Car that actually looks like a car. / a boat that actually looks like a boat.)

What would you say is the hardest part about development for Pig so far

Adding upon questioning game mechanics How would shields work? Would they give rings instead of a effect?

Also... Balloons? Maybe they can be used as floaties?... Maybe some kind of feature to be able to Increase the Length of the balloon's rope (+ maybe a actual rope Could be attached.)

Suction cup wheel's... Since the vehicle cant flip,
Erm... Basicly how id think they would work is... well- just work when near wall or ceiling, if it has a Suction cup wheel on that side of course...
I think this could be a goodish(?) Idea?

what if rope can connect to other rope? from other pig?
This mean ou can make house for playrs???? :Flushed:

seriously, though, jokes aside, this looks like a really cool mod thats taking paper sprites to their limit. i'll be eagerly waiting for its eventual release.

well... Mb's alive again...Do you think that there will be a part that inverts gravity? Maybe even 90∘ rotation?? (caus i know its possible, but at what cost in terms of time?)
Also do ya think if a part gets disconnected from the main body, it can just fall to the ground and other players can push it around and (hopefully) Break them if it got in their way?

Oh, another question

How will the shields be handled for Pig?
Basically, they won't. By that I mean you'll essentially never use shields due to usually always being in a vehicle. They still work as intended (Not true, they're disabled underwater due to softlock preventions with vehicles), but simply aren't a useful tool in your toolkit anymore.

can pig build rocket to go into space?????? Huh?! can they?!
If your definition of going into space is building a vehicle with rockets on it and playing on ERZ2 in the outdoor sections, then you can do just that.

Anyways...
How does water and or lava work?
Parts have a buoyancy value which affects how the vehicle as a whole will float on water. Lava does not affect vehicles currently, but I plan to slowly damage parts when touching it.
srb20795.gif
srb20797.gif

And can we make turn off the limit for part building?
The only active limit is the limit I plan for multiplayer servers to be able to set. The only other limit is the grid itself, which is 125 parts at any time and cannot be changed.

+ Can we more... "Good" Looking builds? (Ie: A Car that actually looks like a car. / a boat that actually looks like a boat.)
Part of the charm of games like Bad Piggies is figuring out how to represent what you want to build with large and chunky blocks. However, decoration parts are not entirely out of the question since BK: Nuts & Bolts had them, which is one of the major inspirations for this mod.

Headlights perhaps?

What would you say is the hardest part about development for Pig so far
It's a toss-up between getting Pig to stay functioning in multiplayer (dying, swapping levels, and swapping skins will never stop causing problems), and detecting disconnected parts. The parts that you'd think would be hard actually weren't since most of it was just tedious work

ie. Spawning the builder grid:
1651451844130.png

Suction cup wheel's... Since the vehicle cant flip,
Erm... Basicly how id think they would work is... well- just work when near wall or ceiling, if it has a Suction cup wheel on that side of course...
I think this could be a goodish(?) Idea?
I have considered a part like this before, and it's likely something similar will exist later down the line.

what if rope can connect to other rope? from other pig?
This mean ou can make house for playrs???? :Flushed:
Ropes have been canned since the beginning due to the absurd amount of code needed for them to work. Absolutely not getting into that can of worms.

seriously, though, jokes aside, this looks like a really cool mod thats taking paper sprites to their limit. i'll be eagerly waiting for its eventual release.
If you're ever curious, digging around the forums and Twitter shows that I'm not even close to the possible limit yet. Two specific examples prove this for me.

1. A 2.1 Sphere-Horse racing mod (Don't recall the name), which had full 3D rotation and physics.

2. Boxy Knuckles, which also has full 3D rotation. However, it specifically has full 3D rotation with paper sprite cubes.

Someday in the future, I might come back and remake Pig to the fullest it can be if I ever learn about 3D rotation and physics.

well... Mb's alive again...Do you think that there will be a part that inverts gravity? Maybe even 90∘ rotation?? (caus i know its possible, but at what cost in terms of time?)
There would be virtually no purpose to a 90-degree gravity swapper, plus this isn't even considering how to treat parts that are just sprites like the base of upwards fans. Overall, technically it's possible, but would it really have a purpose? No, not really.

Also do ya think if a part gets disconnected from the main body, it can just fall to the ground and other players can push it around and (hopefully) Break them if it got in their way?
Any disconnected parts will be destroyed automatically.

1. A 2.1 Sphere-Horse racing mod (Don't recall the name), which had full 3D rotation and physics.

2. Boxy Knuckles, which also has full 3D rotation. However, it specifically has full 3D rotation with paper sprite cubes.
Can you provide GIFs/pictures of these mods? Assuming you can find any again, of course.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back