• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Adventure Sonic (SA-Sonic) Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey hey now, only my last post actually mentions tricks, my man. Mercy on the messenger.
763748831577767966.png

There was no feedback for it other than Sonic feels a little floatier for "no reason" in Adventure. Thankfully, if someone doesn't know about this, they're not missing out. I haven't found a single use for Spindash Hovering other than style points.

Visually, none. Otherwise, we're only leaving out Somersaults and Magic Hands. We'd like to keep Sonic's actions on Jump & Spin.

Before we move onto to the Obscure Sonic Adventure Technique™, let's talk ledges. If Sonic's momentum would've send him sliding off a high-up platform but you're not holding a direction...you'll be safeguarded from falling off like in Sonic Adventure 2.
srb20185.gif

Hold towards a ledge and Sonic will pull himself up like in Sonic Adventure 2! Another useful safeguard. To improve the flow of parkour, it's made super quick and snappy! Which has NOTHING to do with saving Metal time on making getup animations.
srb20180.gif

srb20192.gif

srb20210.gif
Finally, more material for skips

Heya MetalWario64 and Golden Shine,

I've been following this thing since the beginning, and I got to say, I love the work you two are putting into this together. You both make a great pair.

What you guys have going on here is really special and amazing, and I must admit, that in my point of view: this is going to be a whole new level of SRB2 Character Mods that's going to go cocoa bananas crazy when it releases once it's complete. I bet it gets over 2,000+ downloads and will even have some YouTuber's showcasing it for their Sonic related channels.

I see nothing but positive feedback, as well as some tidbits from players explaining how much they love it and reporting on any bugs they might encounter that could be brought to your attention(s) so it can be written down and solved in a patch update.

Please make sure you guys take your time, and that neither of you burn yourselves out. We all love the work you're both doing and want to see you succeed where no man or woman has gone before with this character mod. I'mma be rooting and praying for you two.

- Werewolfiewoo

P.S. - Hey Golden Shine, I downloaded that link you had to the spectrum hangout map link, but I don't know how to get to the next maps, since I keep getting stuck in the first map upon loading it: being Greenflower Zone. Any tidbits you could give me on how to move to the next map with a command to do in the console by any chance in-game or some other way?

Heya MetalWario64 and Golden Shine,

I've been following this thing since the beginning, and I got to say, I love the work you two are putting into this together. You both make a great pair.

What you guys have going on here is really special and amazing, and I must admit, that in my point of view: this is going to be a whole new level of SRB2 Character Mods that's going to go cocoa bananas crazy when it releases once it's complete. I bet it gets over 2,000+ downloads and will even have some YouTuber's showcasing it for their Sonic related channels.

I see nothing but positive feedback, as well as some tidbits from players explaining how much they love it and reporting on any bugs they might encounter that could be brought to your attention(s) so it can be written down and solved in a patch update.

Please make sure you guys take your time, and that neither of you burn yourselves out. We all love the work you're both doing and want to see you succeed where no man or woman has gone before with this character mod. I'mma be rooting and praying for you two.

- Werewolfiewoo

P.S. - Hey Golden Shine, I downloaded that link you had to the spectrum hangout map link, but I don't know how to get to the next maps, since I keep getting stuck in the first map upon loading it: being Greenflower Zone. Any tidbits you could give me on how to move to the next map with a command to do in the console by any chance in-game or some other way?
Nuff' Said brother.

i think adventure Sonic will release on november but it will release when it's done lol
Guessing December at this rate. Everyone behave if a certain two Adventure-style projects happen to release simultaneously, yeah?
Have you tried it with xmomentum shine
Yes. XMom disables SA-Sonic's air drag for one. It becomes apparent how much air drag is truly keeps SA-Sonic from being broken, but if you're using Xmom, you were signing up for broken anyway.
Pretty sure that players gonna have fun along with speedrunners abusing this move on taking huge leaps if the edge is reachable making this definitely a fan favorite.
I've been calling SA-Sonic the god of parkour for a while, and this was definitely a good reason why.
so i finished SADX and i got even more hyped for this
Awesome! Try SA2 next if you haven't yet!

Now, about our Obscure SA1 Tech™! Early on, Metalwario wanted a Sonic Advance Air Dash, where you stack air dashes to gradually build speed, sort of like a midair spamdash. It didn't mesh with the homing dash and extreme aerial speed building in 3D completely killed SA-Sonic's balance, especially stacked off his spindash. So I mentioned an alternative...

In SA1(AND 2, but I mentioned 1 to narrow down guesses), press B right after an airdash for extra distance. The quicker you press B, the more distance gained.(Up to about 20%) Speedrunners call it "Homing Attack Cancel", but we simply call it the Far Thok!

srb20166.gif

srb20167.gif

Seems like a better thok with a unique animation? Not quite! The Far Thok...
  • Cancels homing attacks, letting you air dash without being interrupted by nearby targets.
  • Halts vertical momentum! This changes it's utility, making it worse in some cases, like for building long term speed(air drag) and gaining height, while making it great for saving yourself from a bad downwards bounce/fall or to instantly grab a ledge.
  • Leaves you vulnerable and unable to steer Adventure-style in it's animation.

srb20168.gif

Each variation has its moments!
srb20169.gif

Unlike in SA1, input is very forgiving. You may even press jump+spin at the same time. The speed penalty for not being frame perfect is minimal here. Despite the Far Thok being no speed builder like SA-Sonic's spindash or vanilla's Speed Thok, (and a regular air dash already existing) you'll be surprised how much versatility comes from this air dash variation!

srb20183.gif

wow, for being relegated to an "obscure SA1 tech" in how you described it, the far-thok looks like an extremely strategic move and probably one i'll use a lot more than i admit lol

absolutely fantastic work so far, i'm extremely excited to get my hands on this when the day comes!

Guessing December at this rate. Everyone behave if a certain two Adventure-style projects happen to release simultaneously, yeah?

Yes. XMom disables SA-Sonic's air drag for one. It becomes apparent how much air drag is truly keeps SA-Sonic from being broken, but if you're using Xmom, you were signing up for broken anyway.

I've been calling SA-Sonic the god of parkour for a while, and this was definitely a good reason why.

Now, about our Obscure SA1 Tech™! Early on, Metalwario wanted a Sonic Advance Air Dash, where you stack air dashes to gradually build speed, sort of like a midair spamdash. It didn't mesh with the homing dash and extreme aerial speed building in 3D completely killed SA-Sonic's balance, especially stacked off his spindash. So I mentioned an alternative...

In SA1(AND 2, but I mentioned 1 to narrow down guesses), press B right after an airdash for extra distance. The quicker you press B, the more distance gained.(Up to about 20%) Speedrunners call it "Homing Attack Cancel", but we simply call it the Far Thok!

srb20166.gif

srb20167.gif

• Cancels homing attacks, letting you air dash without being interrupted by nearby targets.
  • Halts vertical momentum! This changes it's utility, making it worse in some cases, like for building long term speed(air drag) and gaining height, while making it great for saving yourself from a bad downwards bounce/fall or to instantly grab a ledge.

srb20168.gif

srb20169.gif

Unlike in SA1, input is very forgiving. You may even press jump+spin at the same time. The speed penalty for not being frame perfect is minimal here. Despite the Far Thok being no speed builder like SA-Sonic's spindash or vanilla's Speed Thok, (and a regular air dash already existing) you'll be surprised how much versatility comes from this air dash variation!

srb20183.gif
I can't believe THAT was the technique! I never knew that even existed dude! Welp, what's next? (Gotta say, ik i said it like 200 times but STILL, i love Adventure Sonic and im gonna play the HELL out of him!)

srb20166.gif

srb20167.gif

srb20168.gif

srb20169.gif

srb20183.gif
To be honest, I thought at first that the air dash was going to be Advance-styled. But I do like how you integrated it with a preexisting technique! Not to mention how useful it could be alongside the ledge grab when trying to jump a large gap.

srb20166.gif

srb20167.gif

srb20168.gif

srb20169.gif

srb20183.gif
This is awesome dude!
Hey may i know.. will we have some sort of upgrade things?

srb20166.gif

srb20167.gif

srb20168.gif

srb20169.gif

srb20183.gif
This variation of sonic has so many moves i feel like im going to forget them all, good job on the progress so far!

I think one will release sooner since they are now doing pre-rendered sprites with some animations ported from sonic adventure(A.K.A DC-Sonic) they even got most of the super and base-animations down.

.... A Thok is an Air Dash....

There was always a Thok
The Far Thok indeed makes the "thok" sound. Therefore, 'tis a thok.

Do light speed attack next
That IS next on the menu. I'll probably show some random stuff first, though!

To be honest, I thought at first that the air dash was going to be Advance-styled. But I do like how you integrated it with a preexisting technique! Not to mention how useful it could be alongside the ledge grab when trying to jump a large gap.
There was going to be way more Sonic Advance stuff, but things that work in 2D didn't necessarily translate well to 3D.

This variation of sonic has so many moves i feel like I'm going to forget them all, good job on the progress so far!
Homing Attack, Spindash, Bounce! That's the sacred trio everything is build upon. Know those and the rest come naturally!

SA-Sonic's moveset is gradually revealing itself! It's easy to forget these are just WIP shots!
srb20220.gif

The Far Thok indeed makes the "thok" sound. Therefore, 'tis a thok.

That IS next on the menu. I'll probably show some random stuff first, though!

There was going to be way more Sonic Advance stuff, but things that work in 2D didn't necessarily translate well to 3D.

Homing Attack, Spindash, Bounce! That's the sacred trio everything is build upon. Know those and the rest come naturally!

SA-Sonic's moveset is gradually revealing itself! It's easy to forget these are just WIP shots!
srb20220.gif
All the info coming out really makes this mod feel massive, in a relatively small package.
all the moves are the same but they have so many extra variations and as far as I can tell with no clutter, instead all being input sensitive, the one thing I was worried about was the layout would be just like SA2 but with the issues of having three different actions on one button but that hasn't been so far.
Nothing wrong with trying to be simple but you shouldn't sacrifice controls to keep that simplicity, like Balan WonderWorld.
I was wondering if these were gonna be in the addon and I'm glad it is for the immersive SA sonic experience
It is. The full name for this mod is "Sonic Adventure-Sonic", but we usually leave out the first "Sonic" to spare ourselves from having to type out the word Sonic 500 more times.
I was joking, like "oh SA stands for sexy?" sorry if I made it more confusing.
The fact you guys kept the Super Bounce in as not only a feature but a feature exclusive to speeds shoes, like I was thinking it would be removed or nerfed in some way, I'm slightly at a loss for words such a creative way to implement such a move, I'm really impressed by this.
It's nice to have an in depth examples of this character abilities, I was expecting it to be pretty standard like sonic with bounce and homing attack and maybe summersault but it quickly added more and more, even something as small as the ledge grabbing adds so much to making it a truly fateful SA Sonic experience, I didn't even know it was possible to have these features, but it goes to show you how much freedom people have when it comes creating stuff.

All the info coming out really makes this mod feel massive, in a relatively small package.
all the moves are the same but they have so many extra variations and as far as I can tell with no clutter, instead all being input sensitive, the one thing I was worried about was the layout would be just like SA2 but with the issues of having three different actions on one button but that hasn't been so far.
Nothing wrong with trying to be simple but you shouldn't sacrifice controls to keep that simplicity, like Balan WonderWorld.
Yeah, I love SA2, but I basically only play it with a mod to map the light dash to Y on my controller so that I don't accidentally bounce instead.

It was our goal to keep things as simple but effective as possible here.
The fact you guys kept the Super Bounce in as not only a feature but a feature exclusive to speeds shoes, like I was thinking it would be removed or nerfed in some way, I'm slightly at a loss for words such a creative way to implement such a move, I'm really impressed by this.
It's nice to have an in depth examples of this character abilities, I was expecting it to be pretty standard like sonic with bounce and homing attack and maybe summersault but it quickly added more and more, even something as small as the ledge grabbing adds so much to making it a truly fateful SA Sonic experience, I didn't even know it was possible to have these features, but it goes to show you how much freedom people have when it comes creating stuff.
It was going to be just that at first! I was planning on making some sprites, rounding up some reusable code and calling it a day. Shine coming along saved this project from either mediocrity or outright cancellation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back