• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Adventure Sonic (SA-Sonic) Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say that...but I WOULD've said that.
Spamming spindash was always a thing in sa1 what fo you mean
He means he's glad the character's not just all about mashing spin. Which is what would've happened if it overwhelmed SA-Sonic's entire moveset in terms of usefulness.
Nice suit!

Say,will Adventure Sonic have a custom super track or will he just use the normal one
Custom. I was a little hesitant to add custom music since all of these songs inflate the character by 1.2mb, but we eventually decided it was worth it. SA-Sonic's music doesn't overwrite any of the vanilla game's tracks, so don't worry about that.

Im still wondering if warios idea from the early days of the thread of him doing his winning animation from adventure 1 will still be added , it kinda would feel like some wasted potential if that wasnt included in this already massive character
I'm going to guess not, at least not in the initial release. Goal's to get this out there before overextending.

In most Sonic games even the slightest ridge can interrupt your moves, which doesn't mesh well with Sonic's speed and complex level structures. SEGA and some fans' answer to this seemed to be making every level huge and flat, but for SA-Sonic....
srb20112.gif

The answer's to let you continue charging the spindash you started before you fell off the ledge.

And to let you jump even if Sonic unexpectedly detached from the slope you thought you'd be on a few miliseconds ago.
srb20160.gif

Even full-speed spinjumps from tiny spaces/fences becomes reliable manoeuvres, rather than fickle/impossible jumps.
srb20163.gif

Keep in mind actually releasing a charge in midair gets you MUCH less speed than if you wait until hitting the ground.
srb20139.gif

srb20141.gif

I should mention your charge also won't be interrupted from hitting horizontal springs or speedbooster items. This means you CAN stack your spindash on top of the speed you get from these.
srb20107.gif

Amazing game design. It's like that moment you realize that the OG Sonic games have the "Safe Jump" which applies to more than just the jump, but Y'all know what I mean. It's amazing letting the player feel like an expert at platforming. While not giving them too much control making them feel OP. It's the perfect thing to give a speedy char like him. Even the OG Mario games did this technique and I love it. Keep up the great work my friends.

i've been following this thread pretty silently, i do have to say good job to shine and metalwario for the fact they've done all of this in around a years time, but i sadly think this mod'll be in development until around maybe early 2022 with all thats being added and sprited, and if that does happen it'll be polishing and polishing can make a good thing, a better thing! :wonderful:

Actually iirc they said they plan to have Adventure Sonic ready for release this year if all goes well
i've been following this thread pretty silently, i do have to say good job to shine and metalwario for the fact they've done all of this in around a years time, but i sadly think this mod'll be in development until around maybe early 2022 with all thats being added and sprited, and if that does happen it'll be polishing and polishing can make a good thing, a better thing! :wonderful:

I wonder how well SA-Sonic goes against a max difficulty Chaos Mode round. Has there been any footage of SA-Sonic in Chaos Mode?

Actually iirc they said they plan to have Adventure Sonic ready for release this year if all goes well
Gamethegamer might be right with how things have been going on in my life. I'd love to get it out at the end of the year, but there's always the possibility of things happening in my personal life getting in the way and it going into early '22, but that all remains to be seen.

I'll continue doing my best, regardless.

Last edited:
I'd love to get it out at the end of the year, but there's always the possibility of things happening in my personal life getting in the way and it going into early '22, but that all remains to be seen.

I'll continue doing my best, regardless.
Honestly, SA-Sonic releasing automatically makes it worth the wait in my opinion.

He means he's glad the character's not just all about mashing spin. Which is what would've happened if it overwhelmed SA-Sonic's entire moveset in terms of usefulness.

Nice suit!

Custom. I was a little hesitant to add custom music since all of these songs inflate the character by 1.2mb, but we eventually decided it was worth it. SA-Sonic's music doesn't overwrite any of the vanilla game's tracks, so don't worry about that.

I'm going to guess not, at least not in the initial release. Goal's to get this out there before overextending.

In most Sonic games even the slightest ridge can interrupt your moves, which doesn't mesh well with Sonic's speed and complex level structures. SEGA and some fans' answer to this seemed to be making every level huge and flat, but for SA-Sonic....
srb20112.gif

The answer's to let you continue charging the spindash you started before you fell off the ledge.

And to let you jump even if Sonic unexpectedly detached from the slope you thought you'd be on a few miliseconds ago.
srb20160.gif

Even full-speed spinjumps from tiny spaces/fences becomes reliable manoeuvres, rather than fickle/impossible jumps.
srb20163.gif

Keep in mind actually releasing a charge in midair gets you MUCH less speed than if you wait until hitting the ground.
srb20139.gif

srb20141.gif

I should mention your charge also won't be interrupted from hitting horizontal springs or speedbooster items. This means you CAN stack your spindash on top of the speed you get from these.
srb20107.gif
every day that passes
SA-Sonic it's getting closer to get released

Nice suit!

srb20112.gif

srb20160.gif

srb20163.gif

srb20139.gif

srb20141.gif

srb20107.gif
This is getting interesting
Also I'm probably not the only one who noticed that trail infront of the spindash, w o a h.

Pretty sure they only need to work on super sonic now
Yes. We have the walking and standing frames for it done already too, and those each have 8 frames per angle.
I wonder how well SA-Sonic goes against a max difficulty Chaos Mode round. Has there been any footage of SA-Sonic in Chaos Mode?
I had to nerf his Lightspeed Attack to have an enemy cap in Chaos Mode because it made him busted. Now, he's just...good! Up there with most characters that have homing attacks, maybe a little better because of his improved control. Not quite Derp levels, though.
I thought SA-Sonic was SonicAdventure
It is. The full name for this mod is "Sonic Adventure-Sonic", but we usually leave out the first "Sonic" to spare ourselves from having to type out the word Sonic 500 more times.

Anyway, now that we have the boring spin properties and "it controls gud" sale pitches out of the way, let's lastly show tricks!

Most devs call jumping AFTER leaving the ground coyote time. Usually this is only for a few frames, but when charging a spindash it's extended. This is so SA-Sonic can clear sections like these requiring a double jump, but if you're not confident in your jumping timing(or are lagging to death) it'll help too. I've tested it lots, and you cannot gain more distance/height with this over spindash-jumping. It shouldn't break anything.
srb20188.gif

If you fly off ledges while spinning, just like in SA1/SA2, you're free to thok out of it.
srb20164.gif

Unlike in SA2 pressing spin while rolling in midair starts an uncurl rather than a bounce. SA2 had no spamdash, so there was no issue there. But for our SA-Sonic, this lead to Sonic accidentally flinging himself into the nethers. You ignore SA-Sonic's air drag for a while after a midair uncurl, so use it for some horizontal momentum upkeep if you're confident you don't need the jump instead!
srb20167.gif

Finally, the "spindash hover". And no, it's not the obscure technique mentioned before! SOON
Hold jump when spinning off edges, you'll stay airborne a little longer. This is a trick in the Adventure games. Is it useful when spindash jumping exists? Maybe not, but it's here. If we include weird mechanics from the Adventure games, we'll check if it doesn't break the balance or controls, then add some flair to show you're doing it right!

With Spindash Hover:
srb20171.gif

Without Spindash Hover:
srb20174.gif

With a Spindash Jump:
srb20176.gif

Remember, we're not emulating EVERY trick, this is Sonic Adventure remastered for SRB2, not Sonic Adventure emulated in SRB2. The Spindash Hover just seemed fairly harmless.

Last edited:
Most devs call jumping AFTER leaving the ground coyote time. Usually this is only for a few frames, but when charging a spindash it's extended. This is so SA-Sonic can clear sections like these requiring a double jump, but if you're not confident in your jumping timing(or are lagging to death) it'll help too. I've tested it lots, and you cannot gain more distance/height with this over spindash-jumping. It shouldn't break anything.
srb20188.gif

If you fly off ledges while spinning, just like in SA1/SA2, you're free to thok out of it.
srb20164.gif

Unlike in SA2 pressing spin while rolling in midair starts an uncurl rather than a bounce. SA2 had no spamdash, so there was no issue there. But for our SA-Sonic, this lead to Sonic accidentally flinging himself into the nethers. You ignore SA-Sonic's air drag for a while after a midair uncurl, so use it for some horizontal momentum upkeep if you're confident you don't need the jump instead!
srb20167.gif

Finally, the "spindash hover". And no, it's not the obscure technique mentioned before! SOON
Hold jump when spinning off edges, you'll stay airborne a little longer. This is a trick in the Adventure games. Is it useful when spindash jumping exists? Maybe not, but it's here. If we include weird mechanics from the Adventure games, we'll check if it doesn't break the balance or controls, then add some flair to show you're doing it right!

With Spindash Hover:
srb20171.gif

Without Spindash Hover:
srb20174.gif

With a Spindash Jump:
srb20176.gif

Remember, we're not emulating EVERY trick, this is Sonic Adventure remastered for SRB2, not Sonic Adventure emulated in SRB2. The Spindash Hover just seemed fairly harmless.
That's some spicy facts!

what upgrades from sa1 and sa2 will sa sonic have?
yeah things like the light speed dash are very likely to be implemented
and the bounce move has already been shown off but
something like the magic hands would be unexpected

Last edited:
Well uh if adventure sonic is very close to release wouldn’t it be a good time for beta testing? I mean the only thing unfinished is super right
Yes but not exactly I'm sure there gonna do it like 2 weeks or a month before relesase so they can work on bug fixes
Post automatically merged:

what upgrades from sa1 and sa2 will sa sonic have?
yeah things like the light speed dash are very likely to be implemented
and the bounce move has already been shown off but
something like the magic hands would be unexpected
I think they said that all of that other stuff would be useless

Yes but not exactly I'm sure there gonna do it like 2 weeks or a month before relesase so they can work on bug fixes
Post automatically merged:

I think they said that all of that other stuff would be useless
yeah having the magic gloves in wouldnt have much of a purpose anyway
same with the crystal ring aswell

Shine: Adventure Sonic will not get a tutorial video because he's far less complex than SMS

Also Shrine: Takes multiple posts to explain all the tricks you can do with his spindash
None of this is complex at all. You dont even need to do this stuff. if you played the adventure games you would get all of this. He's showcasing stuff that was in the adventure games. Not new features

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back