• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Adventure Sonic (SA-Sonic) Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boi this wip is so speed
SO FUCKING SPEED!
this is so cool! i wanna play so much this mod!

Progress of this mod::wonderful::threat:
Progress of other mods::dramahog::wow:
TBF. the main reason mods are so slow is because people have lives. Not saying Metalwario64 doesn't (he does), but most of the coding work is not on him, leaving him and some others to art. Team efforts can often speed up projects greatly, but that's also not a guarantee: after all, 2.2 Espio was a massive team effort, and it took quite a while to be released.

TL;DR: The reason mods take so long is that people have lives, and even team efforts can grind to a halt as a result. SA-Sonic is a team effort.

Adventure machine...?
Well if you want to know if Sonic grinds on rails on the Adventure games he does in SA2 and not in SA1, We haven't got any posts about that part...
Ah

So again,how's Adventure Sonic gonna play

Cause again my knowledge is limited other than they apparently didn't age well at all and qlot of people want them remade

Yep:
ujuiwTU.png
sheesh, This captures his attitude in Adventure Era

F. When do ya expect the release date?

Can't wait to play as SA-Sonic and in the future (Hopefully) newly made stages that has SA1/2 vibes, And holy (:worry:) there is a proper jump and bounce animation unlike some that uses the same jump sprites when bouncing, Also i have questions;
1: Would the jump ball would change depending on Sonic's momentum like SA2?
2: What would be his pose for his "Waiting" idle animation?
3: Would his head move like pointy sonic? (._. no this is just an idea no need to code.)
4: What is your personal opinion on how the Addon currently is?
1: Specifically, it uses SA2's jump animation, and the jumpball for spindashing and bouncing. The jumpball looks slightly different depending on context, it's pretty much solid when bouncing. An option can enable the jump to look and sound like SA1's jump instead. Super Sonic uses SA2's jump anim and switches to SA1's depending on his speed.
2: GIF below!
3: Nope.
4: I think people could come from Sonic Adventure, play SRB2 for their first time, and instantly feel comfortable if they were using SA-Sonic. Everyone knows mastering SRB2's controls take ages, so I'm pretty confident in this.

(Would he grind on minecart rails instead of riding the minecart itself?)
Not in the planning, but it's possible. There's no grind rails in SRB2, so it'd be for niche mods and require alot of coding. If Metalwario DOES make sprites, I'm absolutely implementing them for as many uses as possible. Snowboards, skateboards, "minecart"-riding, you name it.

TL;DR: The reason mods take so long is that people have lives, and even team efforts can grind to a halt as a result. SA-Sonic is a team effort.
A whole team, hm? With just us two that sounds a bit of a stretch.

So again,how's Adventure Sonic gonna play

Cause again my knowledge is limited other than they apparently didn't age well at all and qlot of people want them remade
Me and Metalwario experimented with the physics alot. We even tried out a direct copy of Adventure's physics from the source code, and in SRB2's environment it felt awful. So...I made a bunch of systems for Metalwario to tweak the settings live mid-gameplay as he saw fit, and we've settled on what feels the best for gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, his moveset is directly from Adventure, we're purist as hell about that. But his physics and the quirks at which he does things are tweaked specifically for SRB2's engine and environments rather than copied directly from Adventure. So you can see this as more of a updated/remastered Sonic Adventure gameplay-wise.

Also, I've implemented Sonic's beautiful new waiting sprites when I woke up, here they are in-game!

Attachments

• srb21353.gif
    srb21353.gif
    7 MB · Views: 204
Random question: I'm going to assume Base SA-Sonic is nearly complete? and Super SA-Sonic is the only one you two need to work on and test?

1: Specifically, it uses SA2's jump animation, and the jumpball for spindashing and bouncing. The jumpball looks slightly different depending on context, it's pretty much solid when bouncing. An option can enable the jump to look and sound like SA1's jump instead. Super Sonic uses SA2's jump anim and switches to SA1's depending on his speed.
2: GIF below!
3: Nope.
4: I think people could come from Sonic Adventure, play SRB2 for their first time, and instantly feel comfortable if they were using SA-Sonic. Everyone knows mastering SRB2's controls take ages, so I'm pretty confident in this.

Not in the planning, but it's possible. There's no grind rails in SRB2, so it'd be for niche mods and require alot of coding. If Metalwario DOES make sprites, I'm absolutely implementing them for as many uses as possible. Snowboards, skateboards, "minecart"-riding, you name it.

A whole team, hm? With just us two that sounds a bit of a stretch.

Me and Metalwario experimented with the physics alot. We even tried out a direct copy of Adventure's physics from the source code, and in SRB2's environment it felt awful. So...I made a bunch of systems for Metalwario to tweak the settings live mid-gameplay as he saw fit, and we've settled on what feels the best for gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, his moveset is directly from Adventure, we're purist as hell about that. But his physics and the quirks at which he does things are tweaked specifically for SRB2's engine and environments rather than copied directly from Adventure. So you can see this as more of a updated/remastered Sonic Adventure gameplay-wise.

Also, I've implemented Sonic's beautiful new waiting sprites when I woke up, here they are in-game!
wait what map mod is that

You know what? Imma say it, SA-Sonic could have an alternate title (Not like i have any problems about the original title given). X-Sonic, 'Cause Sonic X IS based on SA1 and SA2 along with it's art style but in other terms its an adaptation of SA2 as it stated in the fandom. So i have an idea; Maybe an alternative voice could be added which is an anime version making it as a "reference" and could be toggled/changed in a way similar to Modern Sonic's commands. Now your done reading my opinion you'll now ignore this :worry:. Oh yeah almost forgot, How many sprites SA-Sonic have right now :threat:

You know what? Imma say it, SA-Sonic could have an alternate title (Not like i have any problems about the original title given). X-Sonic, 'Cause Sonic X IS based on SA1 and SA2 along with it's art style but in other terms its an adaptation of SA2 as it stated in the fandom. So i have an idea; Maybe an alternative voice could be added which is an anime version making it as a "reference" and could be toggled/changed in a way similar to Modern Sonic's commands. Now your done reading my opinion you'll now ignore this :worry:. Oh yeah almost forgot, How many sprites SA-Sonic have right now :threat:
There is an actual X Sonic on hiatus being sprited by SolarStellar and I think coded by Spork.

Random question: I'm going to assume Base SA-Sonic is nearly complete? and Super SA-Sonic is the only one you two need to work on and test?
Yep, It's as good as done. Gameplay for Super Sonic was done pre-emptively as well, so Metalwario should have a nice idea of what exactly the gameplay he's spriting for is going to feel like in-game.

wait what map mod is that
No name yet. Just a random map for me to play around with and work on when time lets me. Who knows what it'll become.

So Metalwario got the death frames done! Here's some ingame GIFs! Death animations are entirely context sensitive.
srb21368.gif
srb21389.gif

srb21367.gif
srb20890.gif

Yep, It's as good as done. Gameplay for Super Sonic was done pre-emptively as well, so Metalwario should have a nice idea of what exactly the gameplay he's spriting for is going to feel like in-game.

No name yet. Just a random map for me to play around with and work on when time lets me. Who knows what it'll become.

So Metalwario got the death frames done! Here's some ingame GIFs! Death animations are entirely context sensitive.
srb21368.gif
srb21389.gif

srb21367.gif
srb20890.gif
Hold Up, EVERY DEATH HAS DIFFERENT SPRITES AND EFFECTS?!
This is the first addon i've seen with unique death animations (Well death animation isn't really that important but look at them!) with effects :wow:

jesus christ the lava melting one is BRUTAL LMAO.

That's quite a lot of work you've both put in, fantastic work!
Hold Up, EVERY DEATH HAS DIFFERENT SPRITES AND EFFECTS?!
This is the first addon i've seen with unique death animations (Well death animation isn't really that important but look at them!) with effects :wow:
Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but a few other characters have had context-sensitive deaths, like Pointy Sonic and Fluffy Tails. I think Honey has one or two as well!

jesus christ the lava melting one is BRUTAL LMAO.

That's quite a lot of work you've both put in, fantastic work!

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but a few other characters have had context-sensitive deaths, like Pointy Sonic and Fluffy Tails. I think Honey has one or two as well!
Oh i guess i haven't noticed that :dramahog:

srb21368.gif
srb21389.gif

srb21367.gif
srb20890.gif
I gotta wonder,what's with those popups at the bottom right of the screen?
I've seen em a few times and I wonder how they're enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back