• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Adventure Sonic (SA-Sonic) Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a while back I switched over to the Adventure 2 jog and running animations, and that's what I have in the game. Though I recently learned some Blender and made a customized version of the SA2 Battle model with high poly versions of the Trial shoes and carefully placed, cel-shaded lighting to make future sprites easier, but that also means I'll have to go back at some point later and touch up my currently done sprites for consistency, but this is what I have right now:
Mtc8XF8.gif

Here's a GIF of him running in-game:
AB44YBJ.gif
Hey! That looks awsome! Good work you're doing there buddy!

So, I've only just begun playing SRB2 for the first time only a month ago, but I've greatly enjoyed what I've played.

I actually haven't 100% completed the base game even, nor do I know the entire history or even all that's currently available in terms of mods, so even this idea may be redundant to what's out there right now.

That said, I like making sprites, and I'm not 100% satisfied with the looks of any of the currently popular modern Sonic characters that I am aware of (namely Modern and Neo, both of which are very great, but I would enjoy something more accurate to the Adventure style and proportions), so I got the idea of recording most of Sonic's animations from Adventure 1 with OBS from every direction, then scaling them down and tracing them while matching the base SRB2 sprites style of shading as closely as I can. I particularly chose Adventure 1 (with the DX models) because the hub worlds (Station Square in particular) make it easy to run around and capture all of the animations, and I'm using the DX models because they are pretty accurate to Uekawa's artwork.

Now, before I even show anything, I should say that my understanding of programming is very.. rudimentary. I have never done any Doom modding, and I know nothing of Lua, so I don't know the chances of me ever really being able to make these into actual, playable characters unless I can modify the base characters to just update their graphics to these, should I even finish them in the first place.

Fortunately, being traced shaves a ton of time and work on doing these. Anyway, here is what I have so far:
FZz4OM5.png

G8khdQc.gif

Here's just an example of what I'm tracing for these sprites:
gC8xEnv.gif

Here he is compared to Modern, Neo, and the base Sonic sprites:
ZsAqyDi.png

Given the proportions (and what I remember of Generations), Adventure/modern Sonic should probably be even taller comparatively. I did a bit of a compromise here though, because I don't want the sprites to be obscenely larger than pretty much every other character made for SRB2.

Anyway, this is really all that I have at the moment. I really hope that this thread won't be deleted due to the lack of actual gameplay or any real programming being done (as of yet), because at least on the graphics side it's something I'm actively working on at the moment.

If this is the wrong section for things like this, and/or this lacking substance makes it against the rules outright, then I apologize.
Wow I really love these sprites!

Well, a while back I switched over to the Adventure 2 jog and running animations, and that's what I have in the game. Though I recently learned some Blender and made a customized version of the SA2 Battle model with high poly versions of the Trial shoes and carefully placed, cel-shaded lighting to make future sprites easier, but that also means I'll have to go back at some point later and touch up my currently done sprites for consistency, but this is what I have right now:
Mtc8XF8.gif

AB44YBJ.gif
yay you gonna upload a preview to yt

yay you gonna upload a preview to yt
Don't really have enough done yet. I haven't made any new sprites in the past month, since I've worked on the model itself and learned how things work in Blender (which will really help going forward), and I'm just now starting working on the rolling frames.

Don't really have enough done yet. I haven't made any new sprites in the past month, since I've worked on the model itself and learned how things work in Blender (which will really help going forward), and I'm just now starting working on the rolling frames.
so the mod is gonna use 3d models

Mtc8XF8.gif

AB44YBJ.gif
That's some next level visual foolery I just experienced, love the intricate effect for the run particles.

Mtc8XF8.gif

AB44YBJ.gif
Looking nice, Glad to see this still chugging along, funny to think of all the SA Sonic's being made, not complaining, even if I prefer boost Sonic.
Adventure really is something special and I'm glad to see everyone's passion for it!
Post automatically merged:

I think that if you want a character to rail grind you would have to make one of those traversal pipes invisible or something like that
Modern Sonic Managed to do rail grinding, might be able to figure out how that was done and emulate it, I don't know how well that will work if it's going by SA2's grind system with balance?

Looking nice, Glad to see this still chugging along, funny to think of all the SA Sonic's being made, not complaining, even if I prefer boost Sonic.
Adventure really is something special and I'm glad to see everyone's passion for it!
Post automatically merged:

Modern Sonic Managed to do rail grinding, might be able to figure out how that was done and emulate it, I don't know how well that will work if it's going by SA2's grind system with balance?
i hope it releases soon

Are you planning on going ham and making this dude have adventure controls, too? Lol

I've been thinking of trying to make accurate SA controls in SRB2 so lemme know if you're interested in that and I'll get back to you 👀

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back