• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

A thread about many of my unfinished SRB2 maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACStriker

SRB2Kart ArcadePak dev - living enigma
I'm making this post as a way to not only have something to show for many maps I never had finished back in 2020 (or 2021), but also to keep track of the stuff I could potentially revisit in the future and also gauge interest in any map concepts you people would like to see finished. Also while currently I won't be actually posting any of the wads/unfinished maps I mention here, I could end up doing that in another occasion under...I don't know, if I ever feel like won't be revisiting the concept again and thus would leave it as scrapped or for be explored by others.

I'm starting with a simple one that was supposed to be a port of Sonic Jam's Sonic World map. Since the model was never ripped or avaliable publically, I was going to recreate it by hand through watching footage and recreating the layout. However, at one point I might have dropped it for working on another map or any other reasons (one being that I had a bit of problem with getting flat alignment on some textures working, and another was that I attempted to recreate a pillar from the OG map with slopes but...couldn't figure out how to adjust the flat on the diagonal sides. This pillar is the one that has grass textures at the top as a placeholder).

I could try revisiting this one someday if I have more free time and stop trying to recreate 1:1 the whole thing (since that's what mostly what I was going here lol), since I had done some work on ripping the textures and I like how they translated to SRB2 (sometimes with manual adjustment).

WAD name: 32px jam.wad
(32px was probably a reference to a texture size or something, get used to weird names in my unfinished WADs :shitsfree: )

1624207132203.png
1624207352711.png
(Not pictured: two FOF triangles below)

---Ingame Screenshots---
srb20063.png
srb20064.png
srb20065.png

srb20066.png
srb20067.png

Post automatically merged:

WAD Name: Return of the Harbor.wad
As the name might have hinted, was supposed to be a rebuild of Hectic Harbor, the only OLDC map I have submitted so far back in 2020 (didn't have time to whip out something for the other ones :p), but never ended up working further than the initial foundations of the original idea for the map (a linear map on the lower path but with splits in higher paths and being able to explore everything above as well).

1624208371581.png
1624208389860.png
As mentioned before, since I wanted the top of the crates that made as barriers for the level be actually a sort of explorable area with a path that took you that high (or Tails/Knux), I had made a sort of huge area to work on the idea that you were on a harbor/island/something.
1624208493517.png

On this screenshot, it is here where you can notice what was going to be the remade version of the original starting area (you would have started here from a ship cannon firing you into the stage), but it was also where I ended up forgetting about the map's development.

---Ingame Screenshots---
srb20063.png
srb20066.png
srb20065.png
srb20067.png

srb20009.gif

Another thing that probably might have contributed to me stopping on this effort was that I wasn't exactly sure about the visual style/textures I wanted to use, as the original Hectic Harbor used a mishmash of colored crates (an idea I had taken from a 3D Sonic Fangame I had seen somewhere) but wanted something more cohesive for the rebuild. I probably didn't end up either looking for new textures or finding appropiate ones so that might have been a factor. However, as I revisited taking screenshots and the GIF for this WAD, it could be worth giving it the push it needs into a full-fledged remake one day.
Post automatically merged:

WAD Name: OLDC Level - Its time for revenge.wad
Firstly, the name is both an allusion to having temporarily scrapped this map back then but then revisiting it to try finish it for that first 2.2 OLDC in years (...but ended up unsatisfied/confused about how to continue the layout and ended up Hectic Harbor in a one-week rush instead) and a reference to Contra 3 ( :knuxsmug: ).

It was sort of the opposite of Hectic Harbor in that I had prioritized cool visual design over gameplay layout; tested a lot of interesting visual ideas but the map ended up halted as I got stuck in how to make the layout progress further (and since I was doing this for OLDC which had a deadline, I decided to ditch this for a new start).

1624209136740.png

(Some of the sectors were rearranged from the original WAD file to be closer for a smaller screenshot)

While I could show screenshots from ZB Visual Mode for this map as well, considering the amount of sections and things to showcase (as well as some of the ideas I did not displaying properly in the editor), I'm gonna skip to using ingame GIFs and screenshots. I might also end up alternating between Software and OpenGL for screenshots (I normally use OpenGL but I remember making this map in Software on my laptop since it didn't support OpenGL). For screenshots that seem to be repeated, left is OpenGL, and right is Software.

--Entrance--

srb20070.png

srb20071.png
srb20074.png

This area was actually likely to be the last thing I made in the map, but wanted to make a cool entrance area where you appeared from a portal above the ceiling, and since around this time I was working on 32px jam as well, I had used some of the textures I had ripped. It uses a skybox for the underwater effect outside of the windows...which means that at this state the water skybox would show up in the other sections (would have looked up how to disable/switch the skybox when going to the next section but I never implemented a transition to go to the next area).

srb20072.png
srb20075.png

The tunnel was using sectors of different brightnesses and a fireball object for the impression of them acting as torches. However as mentioned before, the end of the tunnel doesn't have anything in it at this point. And addressing the previous skybox thing, for the sake of clarity I will manually disable that skybox for the other area screenshots (as it should have been).

--The real first area--
The actual first thing I made for the map, testing vertex slopes and FOFs to make something cool looking.

srb20077.png
srb20020.gif

srb20079.png

Getting the waterfall on the sides working properly was a challenge back then but I remember my eyes glowing up after I managed it and eagerly trying to follow up with something as neat as that. Such thing would be the tunnel right in front, which before had some few iterations about how it should have followed to the next area.
srb20080.png

To be continued in the next post: Hit the maximum of 10 attachments (lol) and also realized how sort of tiresome is taking many screenshots for an indepth map showcase (also GIFs take quite an oof to upload), so might end up following up on this map with a video playing through what was done.

Last edited:
Update: Writing this at 1am so no stuff to show right now (also gonna be a bit busy these days) but found a MEGA folder of some more unfinished SRB2 stuff I had on top of my already existing backups on my HDD, so I will definitely have some few extra stuff to show that didn't make it from the cutting room floor (at least not until they get revived if they do)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back