A bug in Data Select BGM (Sonic 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. I wouldn't have the guts to use the level select code Omega provided me, since I have a huge fear of damaging my games by pulling them out like that. Since I had the PC version for a while, I simply used the swinging vine trick.

Pull the cartridge one end partly out, then the other end, then repeat until it's out. So basically just don't pull it out the top. I assure you the game and Genesis will be perfectly FINE.

I think that I finally found why the bug happened, looking at the bugs in other songs: the lack of the Z80. You can't do it in emulators because they are programed for the first model. But some models (like Sega Genesis 2 or 3) haven't the Z80, instead of it, they use the 68k for the same processes. Don't ask me how they can do it, they simply do it. And the result is here: a bug when playing music.

This is my theory... Now discuss if this is true or false...

Seems pretty much true...

It's quite logical that the old models don't have Z80, which is possibly required to play the music correctly. But if you look at the other games, the music seems to play fine

Maybe it's the fact that you waited an hour or so. I found that the processor in a game system will heat up when used for too long of a period without being turned off. That could also be another reason

JetKrazy said:
It's quite logical that the old models don't have Z80, which is possibly required to play the music correctly. But if you look at the other games, the music seems to play fine
Sorry, but aren't the newest models the ones that haven't the Z80?

JetKrazy said:
Maybe it's the fact that you waited an hour or so. I found that the processor in a game system will heat up when used for too long of a period without being turned off. That could also be another reason
Error: if you restart the music when the bug happened, the music will return normal, that says that the bug is obviously from the music player. The reinitialization of the music cause the bug to disappears. If the cause was the temperature of the processor, this will not happen.

Sik said:

Aren't there some of the older games on the same system?

Sik said:
Error: if you restart the music when the bug happened, the music will return normal, that says that the bug is obviously from the music player. The reinitialization of the music cause the bug to disappears. If the cause was the temperature of the processor, this will not happen.

Point taken

JetKrazy said:
Sik said:

Aren't there some of the older games on the same system?
Newest systems are REALLT NEWEST: the Sega Genesis 3 was created in 1998, in example.

I read that the Sega Genesis 1 have the Z80, but the 2 and the 3 not. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think that Sega have did a redirection in the hardware, so the Z80 processing goes to the 68k.

JetKrazy said:
Well, aren't there any other games for te 2/3 model?
They don't need programed necessary with new methods with them. The compatibility with the Z80 still exists, so they haven't changed the code. Remember: nobody stay one hour for see if a bug happens.

Wow, they had a Genesis model released in '98?? That's like.. after Starfox 64 was made o.o.

Shuffle said:
Wow, they had a Genesis model released in '98?? That's like.. after Starfox 64 was made o.o.

DO A BARREL ROLL!

...Um.....Yeah.....*runs*

Shuffle said:
That's true, and they released one model more after the Dreamcast (I don't know what, I think that was the MegaDrive 4). Really. I had count 7 models in total: 3 of Sega Genesis and 4 of MegaDrive.

But well, here, in Argentina, the Sega Genesis is still one of the more owned consoles (well, IS the more owned console, after the PS1). Also the Sega Genesis was the console more succesful for Sega (thanks to our blue friend ;)).

Shadow Hog said:
Try http://www.vidgame.net/. It has a TON of consoles in its database, with pictures of each, and it even includes variations.

design.jpg

Doesn't that look like one of those new PS2 models?

In truth, it does. It really kinda does.

...er, the actual pic, that is. The "NO HOTLINKING YOU FOOL! *thwap* *thwap* *thwap*" picture bears no resemblence.

I'm bored, so it's time for another round of useless trivia.

Accessing the level select in Sonic 3 without using its own cheat code works by the same principle as getting all the emeralds in the first zone in Sonic 2. If I remember correctly, a soft reset doesn't clear out the memory, and the emeralds you collected are still there when you restart. Logically this would work with swapping out Sonic 2 for Sonic 3 and then resetting. Both games use the same basic engine, or at least are similar enough that the "level select is enabled" memory address is the same in both. For all Sonic 3 knows, you entered its own level select code.

There's virtually no chance that anything bad can happen due to hot-swapping games. I can only imagine save data becoming corrupt because you pulled out the game while it was saving, which is not likely to happen with Sonic 2 when you consider the fact that it does not have a save feature. Even with Sonic 3, saving is pretty much instantaneous and you would have to be intentionally trying to corrupt your saves if you were able to yank it out at the exact time it was saving.

Tets said:
I'm bored, so it's time for another round of useless trivia.

Accessing the level select in Sonic 3 without using its own cheat code works by the same principle as getting all the emeralds in the first zone in Sonic 2.

I noticed that in SMC. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back