A bug in Data Select BGM (Sonic 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sik

I found a bug in the music of Data Select of Sonic 3. Just play it (go to Data Select or play sound 2F in Sonic 3). Then wait a lot of time (A LOT of time, like an hour, well, is possible that minus time is enought, I don't know, you'll notice the results when done).

One of the secondary instruments get screwed!!!

Yes, one of the secondary instruments get screwed and its volume is high as the other instruments now. Discuss.

NOTE: I've only tested it in the real hardware (Sega Genesis 3 in this case). I don't know if this happens using emulators, and also I don't know if this happens in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. And I also don't know if it happens in the Data Select screen. I only tested it in the Sound Test, but probably happens in these screen, because it looks to be a bug of the music player.

I'm sure that this is REALLY interesting, but there are only a handful of people that can actually get into Sonic 3's sound test. Does S3&K work?

Ritz, you fail. ANYBODY can get into Sonic 3's level select;

1.) Get into Sonic 2's level select

2.) Hold A, B and C

3.) *WHILE STILL HOLDING ABC*, ***GENTLEY* remove the cartridge

4.) Insert Sonic 3

5.) Reset the system

6) When the title screen comes up, release the buttons

7.) Scroll down and select Sound Test

Viola! Sonic 3 level select is no longer for S3K users and the criminally insane :roll:

I also knew about that one, but I never wanted to see what could happen first.
1)My genesis exploding
2)The trick working
3)oMy genesis exploding while the trick activates

Ritz said:
Uhm. How did you manage to figure that out?
It's been public information for a while. I've done it as well.

Just remember you have to use the reset button, not the power button twice. It only works if you use the reset.

Am I the only person that can do the level select cheat correctly??? (up-up-down-down-up-up-up-up when Sonic goes from the island to the screen, oh, there are only three seconds for do that).

Some notes:

• Try going to Data Select for hear the music also (but remember: I tested only in Level Select).
  • I haven't tested in S3&K, so I'm not sure... But remember that this game have a lot of bugfixes, so this bug can be corrected in that version...
  • I don't know if emulators can recreate the bug (including Gens)... This can be also a bug in the hardware that isn't emulated (yet)...

EDIT: hey, if the music player isn't changed, in S3&K this probably happens...

Other thing: I found something REALLY NEW for first time or this was already figured out?

Sik said:
Am I the only person that can do the level select cheat correctly??? (up-up-down-down-up-up-up-up when Sonic goes from the island to the screen, oh, there are only three seconds for do that).

Some notes:

• Try going to Data Select for hear the music also (but remember: I tested only in Level Select).
  • I haven't tested in S3&K, so I'm not sure... But remember that this game have a lot of bugfixes, so this bug can be corrected in that version...
  • I don't know if emulators can recreate the bug (including Gens)... This can be also a bug in the hardware that isn't emulated (yet)...

Wow. is that like the 1st time somebody used the bullets? Weird :?

Anyways, back on topic. I tried the "bug" in Sonic 3 And Sonic 3 And Knux for the computer; and nothing out of the ordinary happened. Too bad i dont have a Genisis... :(

Spazzo said:
Wow. is that like the 1st time somebody used the bullets? Weird :?

Anyways, back on topic. I tried the "bug" in Sonic 3 And Sonic 3 And Knux for the computer; and nothing out of the ordinary happened. Too bad i dont have a Genisis... :(

Remember that you need to wait A LOT of time (half hour at least, one hour suggested, well, you'll see it when the music changes). Hovewer, I'm not sure if it happens on emulators.

Ah: that's not the first time that somebody used the bullets... I used them in one or two PMs here already :D and in some topic... (Well, still, I am the only guy that used them, am I wrong?)

Sik said:
Am I the only person that can do the level select cheat correctly???
Wrong, I can do it very often, I try to time it, so when the screen goes White I press the last Up
I really think it's about timing because all the times I did it, the ring always sounded when the screen turned white.

Hey, I'm gonna try it if I find that Sonic 3 ROM, but I'm too lazy to look after it. Maybe tomorow.

Edit: BTW, Just for curiosity. Why did you leave the game in the data select screen for almost an hour? Did you have to go for dinner while you were playing?

Arf said:
Edit: BTW, Just for curiosity. Why did you leave the game in the data select screen for almost an hour? Did you have to go for dinner while you were playing?
Exactly (and sometimes I use the Sound Test for listen music when I'm doing other thing :P).

And BigBoi, the criminally insane is do the cheat... Is more: sometimes I need to press up five times, not four...

Omega the Hedgehog said:
Bigboi said:
Omega the Hedgehog said:
Sonic 3 level select is no longer for S3K users and the criminally insane :roll:

I'm criminally insane? =O
You are if you can get the S3 level select working whilist still having your mind and/or thumbs fully intact ^_~
Then I'm the criminally insane (I can do that a lot of times in the same day).

Omega the Hedgehog said:
Bigboi said:
Omega the Hedgehog said:
Sonic 3 level select is no longer for S3K users and the criminally insane :roll:

I'm criminally insane? =O
You are if you can get the S3 level select working whilist still having your mind and/or thumbs fully intact ^_~

Yep. The first time I did it I shat my pants. Well, they weren't really mine, I borrowed them from someone.... That's another story, though.

I've done it like once or twice. However, the thing is that the level select was never useful in S3K, because you could just go there directly via the game's save data.

Mystic said:
I've done it like once or twice. However, the thing is that the level select was never useful in S3K, because you could just go there directly via the game's save data.

Only if you beat the game, though.

You fail yet again. There are numerous cool options in the level select such as character select, a favorite of mine that allows you to play in levels where you normally shouldn't be in...

Omega the Hedgehog said:
You fail yet again. There are numerous cool options in the level select such as character select, a favorite of mine that allows you to play in levels where you normally shouldn't be in...
Thanks to a bug that allows to play in Death Egg as Knuckles, and is the only case...

Other bug might be complete a game with the easier character and play with the harder character using the things that you already got (like HyperSonic when you got the Master Emerald with Knuckles)...

But return on-topic, please.

Omega the Hedgehog said:

Mystic, you might have to repeat this grade if you fail more! D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back