• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

A 2D level! ..no, really, that's the name!

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, the mario thing ^_^

EDIT: WHOA!!!!!!!! This makes no sense AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fury, DO NOT REVIVE TOPICS THAT ARE MONTHS OLD. JUST DON'T. PLEASE DON'T. ESPECIALLY TO POST A COMPLETELY UNRELATED MESSAGE. Learn how the hell to use map headers.

The way a 2D level works is this: You make the level as normal. How ever, when you set 2D in the map header (see header guide on SRB2 World) the camera starts, I think 128 units south from the player start, and you can only move left and right. That's why it just looks like a bunch of sectors all in a row. To make one, you just make the level normally. However, with exceptions, you will have to work on just one line of sectors and stuff. Like they said, look at the existiing 2D maps. I think there was a 2D match map lying around somewhere, and you can look at that too. Just expect to use a lot of FOFs and other stuff, and it helps to plan out your map before so you know what you are doing.

right now, besides the contest map, im making the very first level of mario. I only got to the hidden life near the beggining before the pit, so if i cant find a real invisible way to hide it, it should be out by the end of the month.

so i guess there wont be a hidden palace 2d anymore?

Well to make something like that invisible, you'd need to make the Mario block using F_SKY1 for the flats. I'm not sure, but I think DoomBuilder displays the sky textures, so you could probably use those as well.

Cy-Chan said:
fury, DO NOT REVIVE TOPICS THAT ARE MONTHS OLD. JUST DON'T. PLEASE DON'T. ESPECIALLY TO POST A COMPLETELY UNRELATED MESSAGE. Learn how the hell to use map headers.

Oh STFU! We've all been new and maybe, just maybe, he didn't know not to. Besides, you replied 4 or 5 post after he did it. It's a little late to start nagging at him!

If you put sky textures on walls they just look like paintings. I've seen it done. They make pretty good paintings though.

I'm not familiar with this Mario level. How is the extra life hidden? Is it an invisible Mario block you need?

SSC, look in the section called: Rules. You might learn one or two things. Those four or five posts were high up on the front page, meaning they had been replied to recently. Good day, bad sir.

But you see, Cy, he asked a legitimate on-topic question to bump. Read "on-topic", and check the rules again. You're out of line, not fury or SSC.

Violent attacking of bumping gets you nowhere. Just be calm when you tell people not to bump. It goes a long way.

a441 said:
If you put sky textures on walls they just look like paintings. I've seen it done. They make pretty good paintings though.

I'm not familiar with this Mario level. How is the extra life hidden? Is it an invisible Mario block you need?

In the very first level of Super Mario Brothers, before the first pit, there is an extra life. You cannot see it till you hit the bottom of the block it is in, then the life pops out. It looks like nothing, then when the block is hit, it appears like a normal hit block. In this case, he wants an invisble Mario Block, but when it is hit, he wants a normal hit block.

If that isn't enough, jump around the beginning of SMB1 where I told you, you'll see it in action.

well just like a441 said, i cant give it F_SKY1, and it does look like a painting. so i guess ill have to make it a visible block.

so anyways, back on the topic, is hidden palace 2d or whatever the name's gonna be, well is it ever gonna come out? shaf hasnt said anything about it ever since that other last contest..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back