• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

1.09.4->1.1 Character WAD Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSNTails

What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?
There's been some questions lately on how character WADs are going to change in 1.1, and the good news is that except for the palette, you can pretty much make your character WAD cross-compatible with 1.1.

Sprites are the same. The only difference is that there are some extra sprites added onto the end:

PLAYc0 - Monitor sprite with your character's face on it
PLAYd0 - Monitor sprite with 'static'
PLAYe0 - 1up Icon (16x14) of your character's face (basically what's showing on the monitor in PLAYc0)
PLAYf0 - Level end sign with your character's face on it

Please note that this setup COULD CHANGE, since any new sprite frames will be appended to the end of the regular list, pushing these sprite entries downward (c becomes d, d becomes e, e becomes f, etc.)

If you're curious as to why there's also a sprite of a monitor with just static in the player frames, is because this allows you to totally change the appearance of the 1up box per-character if you so wish.

List of S_SKIN variables:
name
face
facename
ability
runspeed
normalspeed
thrustfactor
accelstart
acceleration
spin
allowsuper
superanims
superspin
supercolor
runonwater
nojumpspin
multiability
lightdash
homing
ringslinger
slingitem
thokitem
spinitem
waterskip
actionspd
mindash
maxdash
startcolor
prefcolor
jumpheight
highres

SSNTails said:
If you're curious as to why there's also a sprite of a monitor with just static in the player frames, is because this allows you to totally change the appearance of the 1up box per-character if you so wish.

Except they're still stuck with the collapsed-box set. >_>

Aw, I was kinda disapointed with this, but I doubt that's ALL the frames...is it? if so then NOOOO WERES DA SPINDASH SPRITES I SUGGESTED *shot* and what about the OVER 9000 sprites? (turning super) or have you kept them secret?

Quit making character editing better and work on other stuff, since the majority of characters are, well, crap.

About the spindash frames, ever thought in Sonic CD? ;)

Anyways, I thought the strafe frames were added :( Seriously, it doesn't make much sense tell which are the new frames if only the 1-up monitors are the new frames, as they were already in the game before in another place >_> It would have made more sense if there were new character frames, so people could be already be making the new frames for when 1.1 comes out.

This is interesting. At least it isn't as hard as I thought it would be to convert 1.09.4 characters into 1.1 ones. The thing about the extra life monitors and end sign sprites make sense, in that it doesn't allow characters' extra life monitors/end signs to be replaced by other characters' extra life monitors/end signs with the same names so easily, can they?

One question though: Does this mean we have to put in the non-character specific extra life monitors or end signs if we haven't made any of our own, or does the game automatically set the sprites to those sprites for the things mentioned if we haven't put any sprites for them?

Monster Iestyn said:
The thing about the extra life monitors and end sign sprites make sense, in that it doesn't allow characters' extra life monitors/end signs to be replaced by other characters' extra life monitors/end signs with the same names so easily, can they?
If you by-pass the standard player system, I'm afraid that yes (just don't use S_SKIN and see the results). At least this is true for Sonic.

Monster Iestyn said:
One question though: Does this mean we have to put in the non-character specific extra life monitors or end signs if we haven't made any of our own, or does the game automatically set the sprites to those sprites for the things mentioned if we haven't put any sprites for them?
I guess this goes through the standard character load system, so they have to be with the rest of the character frames, not even separated by a single lump.

Cue said:
Quit making character editing better and work on other stuff, since the majority of characters are, well, crap.

This is true, too many of the new users will make a "Fancharacter" and it will end up sucking.

Are these extra frames NEEDED?
I mean, what I'm saying is if we somehow don't add them or forget, is it going to default to some specific spriteset?

I'd make a suggestion for those sprites to go between the S_START and S_END lumps IF we are planning to have default spritesets as so it can go in whatever wad.

Cue said:

Some of us actually do give a damn, believe it or not. :/

I added a list of the S_SKIN variables in 1.1

A possible idea is a custom colormap for each 'skin color'. It would be an image for each color, like the TRANSMED/TRANSMOR/etc. flats. This way you can make ANY combination of color remapping that you desire. I.e., one color could make the spines pink and the flesh green and the shoes blue.

Yeah, that's what I've wanted for months now. For skins to have their own colormap. If you could also change the skin color names for the Setup Player menu, it'd be great, but it might be asking for too much.

And I already checked out Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles on XWE, and already noticed the extra frames. For me, this was just a reminder.

Chaos Zero 64 said:
Yeah, that's what I've wanted for months now. For skins to have their own colormap. If you could also change the skin color names for the Setup Player menu, it'd be great, but it might be asking for too much.
Actually, it wouldn't make sense if you can't change the colors of the characters, specially being able to make your own colors :P

I knew you'd say that. I'm positive we've discussed this before. At the moment, 2 frames is simply not enough for Tails flight, and 4 frames is too much for him falling.

Furthermore, why can't we have more special and run frames? Can we have them please? :<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back