1.08 Bug Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
SSNTails said:
Oh, if you want to play with the SHADOW thing, just insert a graphic called SHADOW. It's a really crummy shadow underneath the player in software mode that I was mucking around with.

Well, it might need to be a flat called SHADOW.... I forget.
Huh, I'd been wondering what that did. Maybe some time I'll add that for kicks.

Anyway, I've noticed that if you use a space sector (sector special 6) in splitscreen, while 1P can run out of it and regain air, 2P will not and will continue to count-down until they die. Maybe you've gotten to that already, but I dunno, I haven't seen anyone else mention it before I found it a few months ago.

I appologize if any of these bugs have already been found and fixed, but there's a number of them to report and it would take forever to sort through all the posts here to determine which are fixed and which aren't.

* Flames from the Inferno Shield kill the OpenGL framerate when you look at them since each one is generating dynamic light.

* The available OpenGL resolutions in v1.08 are highly unsupported by most video cards, and many of the standards, 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768 are missing, along with the resolution I always ran the game at, 1152x864.

* You can't type in shift characters in the menu text boxes. This is particularly annoying when modifying the list server as you can't put the ":" in to set the port number!

* This happens when you load the shadow.wad along with any other character changing wad files. If you try to play a single player game as shadow your chatacter is set to one of the other loaded skins instead of shadow.

* If you grab sneakers or invulnerability underwater while the drowning music is playing the drowning music is replaced by the new tune.

* If you turn the camera off it's always re-enabled when you begin a game or begin a new level in single-player or splitscreen. (Network play only does this when you host or join a game, not when you change levels... I think...)

* If you activate a joystick player 2 gets it in split-screen mode instead of player 1 and cannot be changed. This isn't really a big issue unless you play the game with the joystick in single-player mode or over a network connection as well and thus need to change the control mappings every time you switch between single-player and split-screen.

* I'm not 100% certain but I don't think listserv works properly until you host or join a game.

* Sometimes, though not often, your hosted game is forgotten by the internet list-server host until you end your game manually and rehost it.

* Modifying certain values from the menus are very painstaking. Adjusting any floating point values takes forever, and changing the point limits in Chaos mode is impossible without the console. Each value in the menus should have a modify-by multiple that it is increased or decreased by with every press.

That's all the bugs that I've found. Most of them are just inconvinences but the idea is to get the game to a point where you don't have to touch the console, right? ;)

--- Gemini

Gemini said:
* If you grab sneakers or invulnerability underwater while the drowning music is playing the drowning music is replaced by the new tune.

That's supposed to happen.

Gemini said:
This happens when you load the shadow.wad along with any other character changing wad files. If you try to play a single player game as shadow your chatacter is set to one of the other loaded skins instead of shadow.
Load Shadow first, before the other stuff. The menu refers to skins by number, so they have to be loaded in the right order. Shadow's more of a mod than a character, what with its menu changes, and probably ought to be used alone.

Sometimes, though not often, your hosted game is forgotten by the internet list-server host until you end your game manually and rehost it.
This happens if it pings you and doesn't receive a response. The timeout period is 90 seconds. If you don't respond to a ping after 90 seconds, your connection is bad enough that you probably should not be in the list.

Agreed it should be possible to play without using the console.

I just finished a long bout of netgaming. I have a few more things to report.

* As the host I was occasionally hearing the sneaker and invincibility music play when other players grabbed them, but not always.

* Again, as the host, when both myself and another opponent were drowning if he got a bubble my drowning music went back to the normal level music.

* If you change the name of your server it's not reported to the listing server and the listing server still has your old name.

* In OpenGL mode, in a few levels that have a very specific height of water in certain places, (notably Techno Isle), with the camera off, while standing in them, the water level is visually below you but the game says you're under it. Not really critical but something to note nonetheless.

* Changing the game type in the middle of a match and then advancing to the next level causes certain players to drop from the game while others are fine. I'm not certain what the criteria for making this happen is but it's always the same players that get dropped.

* In OpenGL mode when you quit the credits screen doesn't show up if you're in the middle of a split-screen game.

* You can get 1-ups in Chaos game mode from collecting 100 rings.

* If you finish off the last boss in a race mode game the next level is the title screen... As a result, the console doesn't work and the game needs to be ended from the menus before everything returns to normal.

* The intermission timer has no effect in race mode. As a result, typing things in with the chat key will usually advance to the next level. Perhaps this is purposeful but I think an intermission timer here would be better.

That's all this time around.

--- Gemini

Gemini said:
If you change the name of your server it's not reported to the listing server and the listing server still has your old name.
The server name is in the "Host Game" menu for a reason. None of that stuff takes effect until you host a new game. Notice how you can't change the map or skill that way, either?

Changing the game type in the middle of a match and then advancing to the next level causes certain players to drop from the game while others are fine.
Are you sure you didn't warp to a level they need unlocked, like Adventure Example?

You can get 1-ups in Chaos game mode from collecting 100 rings.
Thanks, that actually wasn't fixed. Funny how no one noticed it before.

Quite accidentally found this bug while learning the map#'s. I suspect it's probably been discovered already but just in case:

* The player color "Default" doesn't leave those bright pulses of energy behind when you do spin dashes or Sonic's Speed Thok in network games.

And is it just me or does v2.4.1 of the launcher currently forget all of your settings when you quit?

--- Gemini

I think that it's a save file... not like when you save a game, but like, where it keeps unlocked stuff, and records for completing stages...
it's just a wild guess, though. :?

The launcher has no external files whatsoever. gamedata.dat is from SRB2 itself. It's where the game stores Time Attack scores and unlockables.

The launcher has no external files whatsoever. gamedata.dat is from SRB2 itself. It's where the game stores Time Attack scores and unlockables.

Then how did I make the mistake... oh... waitaminute...

Ok, now I know why I thought the launcher made the gamedata.dat file. When I originally unzipped all the skins I put them into their own sub-folder in the SRB2 folder. When I loaded them into the launcher and tried to run the game it gave me an error message saying it couldn't find one of the game's files. (I don't rememeber which file but it was one of the main SRB2 files.) Afterwards when I went to my sub-folder to move all the wads into the SRB2 main folder there was a gamedata.dat file there. I assumed the launcher made it, but SRB2 must've when the launcher tried to run it from my sub-folder.

...is that a bug?

--- Gemini

A couple things I noticed tonight:

* I'm not sure the cause of this bug, but it's happened a few times now so it can't be a coincidence. If I start a Chaos game server and set the point limit and time limits to 0 just to keep it going until someone joins, then set the point limit to something that immediately ends the game the player who just joined gets kicked from the game for about 23 consistency failures.

* I can't modify the "ringslinger" variable. It's stuck on "No" no matter what I try. I've tried changing it during single player and networked games, on the main menu, in the configuration file before starting the game, all in both regular and OpenGL mode, with and without loading additional WADs, with and without using the launcher, with and without grabbing rings in a level first. It just won't turn on. Of course, shooting rings works fine in the game modes you're supposed to shoot rings in.

I wish.

It's totally broken behavior, but a few people like it that way so it has to stay.

Can't you just threaten Mystic with eternal oblivion to put a "Save Settings" button in so people who want them saved can and people who don't want them saved don't have to? We can all chant together, "WE WANT A SAVE SETTINGS BUTTON, MYSTIC!!!" XD

Of course, it is his launcher so he can do whatever he wants with it... for now... *starts looking for decompilers*

--- Gemini

If you're referencing the Launcher, Gemini, a441 is not.

The reason the launcher does not save settings is not due to a lack of wanting it to do so, it is because I am not a good programmer and am incapable of doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back