Sphere Pack - a collection of multiplayer levels (mtf_spherepack.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphere

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
Since the start of 2014, I've been working on various multiplayer levels, varying from completely new stages with custom graphics to remakes of older levels. Most of them I didn't know what to do with, as they were not eligible for the Official Level Design Contest, so I decided to compile them all into this one package of levels.

Here's a list of the maps that are currently present in the pack. Check the changelog for more detailed information on each map.

Neo Molten Fissure - MAPFB
You might recognize the name Molten Fissure, as it's one of the CTF levels currently in SRB2 itself. However, during 2.1's development, I voted against the map being in, saying I'd remake the stage at some point to fix some of the issues with the level. As it got in anyway, I decided to start on the remake immediately after 2.1 was released, resulting in this level.

Galactic Waterworks - MAPFC
This level was originally entered in the July/August 2011 OLDC, where it won the CTF division with an average of 8.33. It wasn't featured in SRB2 itself as it was thematically too similar to Silver Cascade (and Aquatic Base, but that level didn't make it in either), but I figured it'd be a shame to leave this level behind, so I took the comments and advice of the OLDC votes and fixed the more glaring issues of the map.

Sylvan Shrines - MAPFD
This level was originally entered in the May/June 2011 OLDC, where it got second place with an average of 7.00. I personally liked how I executed the theme, but layout-wise there were some glaring issues, which I've tried to fix as much as possible.

Magma Plant - MAPFE
One of my two winning maps of the March/April/May/June 2015 OLDC, this level was originally made less than four hours before the deadline, only starting with a basic version of the Scatter Panel room made a few months earlier. While I'm quite happy with how it turned out, there were some errors and oversights present in the level, which I've attempted to fix.

Moonlit Island - MAPMD
After taking a short break from SRB2 once the July/August 2014 OLDC was over, I decided to get back into mapping by making a simple match map, just to get the hang of everything again. Then a sudden burst of productivity happened, resulting in this level. Due to the lighting effects and the open nature of the level, it might lag a bit, but not nearly as much as Lost Peaks did.

Secluded Woodland - MAPME
Probably the oldest level of the bunch, this level was originally entered in the July/August 2010 OLDC, where it got second place with an average of 7.11. Despite its age, I really like how this stage turned out, so I've tried to fix the more obvious issues with the level.

Archive Stronghold - MAPMF
My other winning map of the March/April/May/June 2015 OLDC. Where Magma Plant was mostly made in the hours before the deadline, Archive Stronghold was mostly made a few months earlier and finished up about five hours before the deadline. It turned out a bit more cramped and confusing than I'd hoped, but I'm very proud of the architecture of this level.

As is the case with the majority of my maps, these levels are generally quite large, so I'd recommend playing this level pack in larger netgames for maximum enjoyment.

That's basically all I have to say, so... have fun!

Changelog - July 18th 2015 - v3
Pack contents
  • Added Archive Stronghold
  • Added Magma Plant

General improvements
  • Slightly tweaked item placement in all levels

Neo Molten Fissure
  • Retextured the level to look more like the original again
  • Changed the center a bit to improve performance

Sylvan Shrines
  • Made the Bounce and Grenade Panels more noticeable
  • Added a skybox

Magma Plant
  • Fixed incorrect rings and emerald spawns
  • Changed some weapon panel locations around
  • Changed the upper path
  • Added Infinity Rings
  • Improved the visuals, added a colormap and more detail

Moonlit Island
  • Changed the lower area of the level to improve performance

Secluded Woodland
  • Added waterfall ambience sounds
  • Changed the music and the sky

Archive Stronghold
  • Fixed incorrect emerald spawns
  • Removed the (useless) underwater passage to improve performance

Changelog - November 16th 2014 - v2.1
General improvements
  • Joined/merged as many sectors as possible to hopefully improve performance

Galactic Waterworks
  • Fixed a graphical inconsistency in the underwater path

Sylvan Shrines
  • Fixed a missing torch flame
  • Made the springs on the lowest sky islands not glitchy

Secluded Woodland
  • Slightly edited the item placement

Changelog - November 15th 2014 - v2
Pack contents
  • Removed Lost Peaks and all its custom textures
  • Added Moonlit Island

Moonlit Island
  • Changed the moon from sector-based to a custom texture

Changelog - May 8th 2014 - v1
General improvements
  • Fixed as many inconsistencies and errors I could find
  • Made the WRMs easier to spot by using shield and sneaker boxes for them
  • Redid the overall ammo placement to provide slightly more Grenade and slightly less Rail ammo

Neo Molten Fissure
  • First version

Galactic Waterworks
  • Reworked the alternate path to not be terrible
  • Remade the Rail Panel area
  • Removed some nooks and crannies for better flow and less annoyance
  • Made some minor visual changes here and there

Sylvan Shrines
  • Lowered the floating islands for a second path between the bases, which now contain the Rail Ring Panels
  • Removed the former Grenade Panel location as it was too hidden
  • Removed the SRMs placed among Team Ring Monitors, now there's one SRM on the bridge
  • Made the flag rooms accessible via jumping instead of a diagonal spring
  • Sealed off the waterfall sources to prevent hiding in them
  • Reduced the overall amount of rings

Lost Peaks
  • First version

Secluded Woodland
  • Changed the former Rail Panel location (now containing the Infinity Ring) to a second way to get to the upper area
  • Added a fifth WRM
  • Made the former Scatter Panel location (which now houses the Grenade Panel) use the paler jungle texture set
  • Removed some Super Ring Boxes so they're not literally everywhere
  • Moved the Rail Panel to the Grenade Panel's former location, made a new area for the Scatter Panel
  • Made the jump toward the SRM tunnel easier and more obvious

NOTE: I explicitly deny permission for anyone else to edit these levels in any way, including porting them to any future version of SRB2.

Attachments

• MAPFB - 1.png
    MAPFB - 1.png
    258 KB · Views: 1,193
  • MAPFB - 2.png
    MAPFB - 2.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 788
  • MAPFB - 3.png
    MAPFB - 3.png
    220 KB · Views: 765
  • MAPFC - 1.png
    MAPFC - 1.png
    247.9 KB · Views: 765
  • MAPFC - 2.png
    MAPFC - 2.png
    186.6 KB · Views: 694
  • MAPFC - 3.png
    MAPFC - 3.png
    218.3 KB · Views: 712
  • MAPFD - 1.png
    MAPFD - 1.png
    279.7 KB · Views: 799
  • MAPFD - 2.png
    MAPFD - 2.png
    270.1 KB · Views: 714
  • MAPFE - 1.png
    MAPFE - 1.png
    231.1 KB · Views: 689
  • MAPFE - 2.png
    MAPFE - 2.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 634
  • MAPFE - 3.png
    MAPFE - 3.png
    235.7 KB · Views: 634
  • MAPMD - 1.png
    MAPMD - 1.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 664
  • MAPMD - 2.png
    MAPMD - 2.png
    209.4 KB · Views: 684
  • MAPME - 1.png
    MAPME - 1.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 618
  • MAPME - 2.png
    MAPME - 2.png
    278 KB · Views: 593
  • MAPMF - 1.png
    MAPMF - 1.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 732
  • MAPMF - 2.png
    MAPMF - 2.png
    256.6 KB · Views: 697
  • MAPMF - 3.png
    MAPMF - 3.png
    315.6 KB · Views: 844
  • mtf_spherepack-v3.rar
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,251
Last edited:
I don't really have the ability to test this in a netgame before approving it, since none of the people I usually play with seem to be around at the moment, but they check out fine in a run-through by myself, so it's A-OK for releases. I will give a couple first impressions, though:

• Galactic Waterworks looks stellar. Infinitely better improvement for the underwater path.
  • Lost Peaks looks even better, but, as pointed out in the OP, it lags a ton. I can feel the game begging for mercy when I look toward the center of the map. :(
  • Also for Lost Peaks, those fan tube things are really difficult for me to use to get anywhere. It seems like it'd be worse when you have control lag and people shooting at you to deal with. Maybe make them a bit wider?

I didn't have the chance to play the pack in a netgame so I don't really know if they play well. Anyway here's my review:

Neo Molten Fissure
The best map in the pack. Yeah honestly this one is far better than the original. The textures are awesome but a dark sky would fit the stage better I think. I remember when I've played the original Molten Fissure for the first time, I was really confused with the paths and I've never knew that Sonic was able to access the upper area until I noticed the stairs in a small corner, this version give more space to the player to see where to go.

Lost Peaks
In one word: AWESOME. This map is one of the nicer I've ever seen. Without the lag that occurs when playing it, this would be my favorite match map. Nothing negative to say about this one.

Secluded Woodland
This one was my favorite in 21mult and I was really surprised that it was not in 2.1. Anyway, it is as awesome as in the past.

I don't know if I've done a mistake here, so please if you see something I've written wrong, remember that I'm not English.

What are you talking about? It says right up there that Lost Peaks and Secluded Woodland are both Match.

What are you talking about? It says right up there that Lost Peaks and Secluded Woodland are both Match.
Oh, my mistake, didn't notice that. Anyway, REALLY, this's the best Level-Pack i've seen for this version... for now.

I've updated the pack to v2.1, fixing a few minor issues I found in v2.

Hey Spherallic! Is there any reason why you had to remove Lost Peaks?
After testing it in a few netgames, I thought it was too laggy to be enjoyable. I might completely remake the level in the future, using the same textures and gimmicks but with a different layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back