Suggestions

But then again, there was this IRC log where ShadowHog said RVZ2 was already in progress, but that the lava didn't hurt you yet. This means there has been a volcano-themed RVZ2 at some point, even if they didn't have enough ideas to finish it.

Well, if they can find a way to fit that into RVZ1, that would be fine. It's kind of a short act for the last level before serious business starts happening.

Well, if they can find a way to fit that into RVZ1, that would be fine. It's kind of a short act for the last level before serious business starts happening.
Oh, so BMZ2 is serious business? You know, it's more coincidence than anything else that ERZ1 follows RVZ1 right now.

WARNING: WALL OF TEXT
(tl;dr version at the bottom)

As you may or may not know, CEZ and ACZ replaced levels that have since been removed due to lack of gimmicks - Mine Maze Zone and Rocky Mountain Zone. (Technically, ACZ replaced both of them, and CEZ was just put in to add length to the game, but this does not matter for my purposes)

With these levels, the layout of the world was clear:
(due note while some of these are inferred, none of them contradict the videos on the History page[/URL], and some are actually based completely off the video)

Sonic and co (From now on, I'll just say "Sonic" to refer to all of them) are taking a break, when Eggman decides to blow up a city/region named Greenflower. Sonic goes to defeat Eggman.

(Begin GFZ) He encounters Eggman and forces him to retreat. Sonic then keeps going and finds an area of Greenflower that has been polluted from a factory Eggman had.

(Begin THZ) Don't ask me how the factory was unnoticed that long and how it wasn't destroyed in the explosion, there are too many possibly solutions for that and it really doesn't matter. Sonic enters the factory and goes through, destroying it in the process. Eggman, having his stronghold defeated, attempts to escape in a tram. Sonic manages to get on the tram before he escapes. That was bolded because it's important later. Sonic continues to chase down Eggman as he tries to escape, but falls through the floor. Either a trap by Eggman, or Sonic's actions earlier caused explosions/tremors that weakened the floor here. He lands in an underground flooded cavern.

(Begin DSZ) He goes through the cavern, and emerges in a cave used for mining.

(Begin MMZ) He gets out of the cave, and finds that the cave was in a large mountain, and Eggman's other stronghold, Dark City, is on the other side. He begins scaling the mountain, having no time to go around.

(Begin RMZ) Sonic, after climbing over that mountain, is forced to go through another mountain in the same mountain range, but this one is volcanic.

(Begin RVZ) Sonic escapes from the volcano through use of a platform thrown up by an eruption. He has crossed the mountain range, and finds himself in Dark City.

(Begin DCZ) Sonic destroys Eggman's city, forcing him to retreat on the Doomship. Sonic again manages to board before Eggman leaves.

(Begin DMZ) The Doomship takes them to Eggrock.

(Begin ERZ) After Sonic destroys the Eggrock, Eggman attempts to flee into space. Sonic is able to chase after him through use of Super Sonic.

(Begin FFZ) eggman is defeated once and for all etc

HOWEVER, with CEZ and ACZ in place of MMZ and RMZ, these transitions do not work. (The other changes - Doomship's name change and BMZ don't really affect anything) I can believe that Deep Sea could lead out to the outskirts of Eggman's forest, that's fine. I cannot, however, believe that Sonic goes from a castle in a very rainy grassland to a desert. Going to RVZ from ACZ in its current state is a bit of a stretch, but with what I'm guessing ACZ2 is going to be like, I'm sure that will work fine.

I'll go with my minor suggestion first:

ACZ2 being underground, or at least the ending/beginning. The beginning because you fall into a giant hole in act 1 (I'm inclined to think that ACZ2 is already being planned to be underground because of this), and the ending because then you can use the excuse that Sonic ends up in a Volcano by moving through that underground path.

Some more stuff for my REAL suggestion:

As I bolded in the quick summary of the plot above, every time Sonic destroys one of Eggman's bases, Eggman attempts to escape, and Sonic manages to follow him, usually by simply boarding his escape vehicle before it leaves. Every time this has happened, there is another map for it.

In the case of THZ, it's THZ3, a simple boss fight. In the case of DCZ, it's Doomship, a 2-act (IIRC) zone - a level and a boss fight. In the case of ERZ, it's FFZ.

However, CEZ has nothing. That's pretty unsatisfying to the player, whether they realize it or not. They just destroyed one of Eggman's largest strongholds and all that happens is you wrap to the next level. You don't see him attempt to escape or get to chase him down.

Adding a simple transition level here could fix two problems - not chasing down Eggman, and not having a clear way of going from a rainy grassland to a desert. It could also be a clear way of dividing the two halves of the game.

My idea for such a map:
(here's the important part, for those of you who don't want to read through all this)
Basic info and aesthetics:
* Eggman and his badniks get on a convoy heading for ACZ.
* About a 45 second stage in a normal playthrough. Should be about 20 when speedrunning, and around 1:45 when getting all the secret areas.
* It uses the same illusion of moving as THZ3, though there's one difference in the illusion: THZ3 used dark areas to prevent the player from knowing that they are actually in a confined area. This map could use some unpassable vehicles at the back and front of the stage. In addition, the textures and flats used for the background could be animated in addition to scrolling, giving a high sense of speed.
* The vehicles' general look (though definitely not layout) could be something like this: http://dog.fpsbanana.com/ss/maps/94305.jpg
* At first, the surrounding area is green. As you go through the level, their color gradually changes to ACZ's color. Backtracking, of course, does not change the theme back.

Gameplay:
* Eggman has sent out his Jetty-syn army to guard the caravan. There are enough to keep you moving, but not enough to actually be a threat.
* There could be crates and Egg Capsules with powerups and enemies inside them. Perhaps the enemies could break the crates if they try to get out for a few seconds.
* Some Egg-teleporters that could take you to a room from another level. (obviously you're still inside the actual convoy map, just designed to look like another level) The original idea was for them to be an interesting place to put power-ups, but maybe there could be some that you need to take where you teleport back to a new area of the Convoy.
EDIT: Do note that you wouldn't be going through any sections of the level, it's just a room. There could be a forcefield emitting from the teleporter that shows the boundaries of where you could move around.
* Maybe a short boss at the end? I think that might not work, since the standard seems to be "use another map for the boss," and I don't think this level should use two maps.

(WALL OF TEXT ENDS HERE)

Last edited:
BMZ2 is still part of the Red Volcano set of levels, even if it's under a different name. And yes, serious business is probably going to happen in Dark City, definitely going to happen in Grand Eggship (if ever made), already happening in Egg Rock, and I'm 100% sure will happen in Final Fight.

This has been bothering me since 2.0 first came out.

Match.

The concept is great, but the execution is very shoddy. The dropping of special weapons worked in SRB2 1.04.9, because when acquired, it became part of the rings. However, in 2.0, you not only have to collect the ring, but it's specific ammo as well, and when you're hit, you lose everything. This gets annoying, especially since the rate of weapons to ammo usually comes out as 4 ammo slots for every 1 weapon, making it hard to keep hold of them, compared to past levels when they were more plentiful, especially in larger levels.

Another thing that bothers me is the overpoweredness of the Super Form. When those who have the super form get the magnet shield, it's possible to have a near infinite super form and disallow anyone else to be able to fight back.

To remedy this, I propose that the Super form have the following Checks and balances.

For those in super form:
- :Ring loss rate is increased to 5 rings per second to combat the possibility of ring gain spam
- :Special shields cannot be used when in Match Super Form
+ : Rings and Ammo that is shot is unlimited. However, the weapon ring is still required to use it.
+ : All normal Super Form Bonuses apply

For those fighting a Super Form character:
- : Attacks do not cause those in Super Form to drop their rings or their ammo (normal Match Gameplay)
+ : Attacks cause the super form person to flinch (IE They will not be able to run until they land, like MR's Final Boss attacking S.Sonic), but will only send them flying 1/2 as far if the weapon used has recoil
- : Causing the Super Form player to flinch will not prevent them from retaliating. (Tested in 1.04.9 With MR Final stage with Ringslinger on)
+ : Each shot that hits the Super Form causes them to lose one additional ring

Those are just some things I thought up with, along with a friend of mine, to try and balance Match up a bit and make it more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Wall of text.
Kaysakado, you do realize level transitions have never really been our intent. The arena for Eggscalibur would not support such a thing, besides =P

Massive block of text
Super in match has several massive weaknesses, especially right now with the Recycler being so common.

* Throw Automatic or Scatter at them. Each projectile counts as a hit, so this can do some pretty massive amounts of damage to a Super player.
* Recycle away Super. To increase the likelihood of this happening, make sure to hit all the WRMs on the map as often as possible to induce respawn.
* Collect as many rings as possible. Super is powered on rings, so if you grab all the ring boxes on the map, it will strain their ability to maintain it. Attraction is also really good for removing the rings from the map. If they can't collect rings, they will struggle to maintain the form and make it far easier to knock them out of it.

Also, as a reminder, shields are lost first when struck as a super form, so the aforementioned Attraction stupidity can be stopped with a single shot impacting the player. Hitting the Super player when they get Attraction should be the first priority of every player in the map, or they'll get quite a stock.

Super in match has several massive weaknesses, especially right now with the Recycler being so common.

* Throw Automatic or Scatter at them. Each projectile counts as a hit, so this can do some pretty massive amounts of damage to a Super player.
Agreed, it can definitely impair a player's ability to maintain the Super Form. But what if nobody can catch said Super player? That's where the problem is presented.

* Recycle away Super. To increase the likelihood of this happening, make sure to hit all the WRMs on the map as often as possible to induce respawn.
And then we have another player, be it better or worse, bolting around, still unable to be stopped.

* Collect as many rings as possible. Super is powered on rings, so if you grab all the ring boxes on the map, it will strain their ability to maintain it. Attraction is also really good for removing the rings from the map. If they can't collect rings, they will struggle to maintain the form and make it far easier to knock them out of it.
Again, the speed issue. An example being myself; I'm able to get at every Ring Box before the player has a chance to prevent me from doing so.

Also, as a reminder, shields are lost first when struck as a super form, so the aforementioned Attraction stupidity can be stopped with a single shot impacting the player. Hitting the Super player when they get Attraction should be the first priority of every player in the map, or they'll get quite a stock.
So I guess my little points here and there all relate to the inexperienced players and the sheer speed of the Super forms. Not every player is capable of even landing one hit on a Super form, albeit staying alive long enough to even try doing so. It's not the Elemental Shield or any other one I'm worried about; I worry about a skilled player turning Super, grabbing an Attraction Shield, and dodging and weaving through every shot possible, while entirely obliterating all competition in their way.

Agreed, it can definitely impair a player's ability to maintain the Super Form. But what if nobody can catch said Super player? That's where the problem is presented.
Hate the player, not the game. It's not our fault your aim sucks. Conversely, if a Super player somehow manages to dodge every single shot fired at him in order to maintain an attract shield in the first place, I must conclude that he has to be some kind of SRB2 god if the above point doesn't already apply, and probably deserves every ring he catches.

Hate the player, not the game. It's not our fault your aim sucks. Conversely, if a Super player somehow manages to dodge every single shot fired at him in order to maintain an attract shield in the first place, I must conclude that he has to be some kind of SRB2 god if the above point doesn't already apply, and probably deserves every ring he catches.
-coughicanaimbuti'mtalkingaboutthepoorsapsthatcan'tcough-

-coughandiguessthatmakesmeagodthen...lolego-

But like I said. I'm just saying.

EDIT: We all know that even some of the best players can't hit a spastic, inexperienced player all the time. But again, that goes back to you response "Hate the player, not the game.".

Last edited:
And then we have another player, be it better or worse, bolting around, still unable to be stopped.
Actually, most of the time the player on the receiving end never gets to turn Super because more often than not, he/she doesn't have 50+ rings in hand.

I think something good to put in SRB2 is the Chao Garden, and a Chao Key monitor. Comments and Critisism please.
EDIT: Not too harsh critisism, please...

Last edited:
Actually, most of the time the player on the receiving end never gets to turn Super because more often than not, he/she doesn't have 50+ rings in hand.
Really.

Because every Server I've been in, the immediate second a player got the last Chaos Emerald and completed their collection, all they had to do was lose their shield and then bam. Or, no shield and then bam. Instant maul.

Last edited:
The reason, though, is because the person who goes super by collecting the 7 emeralds himself is likely to have collected quite a lot of rings, as they haven't gotten hit for a while to preserve their ring count, and are likely to have over a 100 rings when they go super.

A player who gets the emeralds recycled to them is not likely to be in that situation, and will oftentimes not have the 50 rings necessary to go super, never mind the several hundred necessary to safely take some hits with it.

One thing that would greatly enhance usability is finding some way around having to restart SRB2 every time you play a multiplayer game with custom WADs.

- :Ring loss rate is increased to 5 rings per second to combat the possibility of ring gain spam

Super already requires 100+ rings to use with decency, why make it go down 5 a second?

- :Special shields cannot be used when in Match Super Form

Rail it off, then Auto him down. Shields can be destroyed still.

+ : Rings and Ammo that is shot is unlimited. However, the weapon ring is still required to use it.

...That is one of the most the most BROKEN thing I've ever herd in the topic. Do you KNOW how OP Grenade would be? It would be a DISASTER, just like 1.09.

+ : Attacks cause the super form person to flinch (IE They will not be able to run until they land, like MR's Final Boss attacking S.Sonic), but will only send them flying 1/2 as far if the weapon used has recoil
- : Causing the Super Form player to flinch will not prevent them from retaliating. (Tested in 1.04.9 With MR Final stage with Ringslinger on)
+ : Each shot that hits the Super Form causes them to lose one additional ring

It sounds more like you don't know how to auto a Super in the face. The lack of flinching is what gives the super what is both a great strength and weakness, with the weakness being strangled by Auto, and sometimes Scatter.

Super is OP. It's OP for a REASON. It's SUPER. And super hard to pull off. That's the whole POINT.

It seems you're bugged by 2.0 match even though 1.09 match was the most BROKEN thing ever. And then you say Super is a broken mechanic? Seriously.

How about 3-way CTF? Red vs Blue vs Green. Specific gametype, I mean. So like 3 team CTF gametype.

First, that would make alot more maps.
Second, The two stronger teams would over power the weak team making an easy victory.
Third,you need at least 6 players for a "ok" ctf game You would need 9 players for the 3-way ctf to be fun.

Ok, fun in my terms.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back