[Open Assets] Modern Sonic Abilities 4.0 BIG UPDATE

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
To be quite frank, there's a merit in doing things the right way: people will be looking at your lua script in time to come.
What are you talking about? I can't map, I can't create Character Wads (I can't sprite at all), I have really 0% chance of my Lua scripting fu derps being put up somewhere, other than those 1 or 2 times people will actually use my pretty much useless codes for simple things for a few days before finding a better way to do it.
Oh, and also other than my unfinished Character Wad Tutorial rewrite thing I work on from time to time.

But if by "your" you mean people in general, and not specifically me, then okay, I understand.

Oh, and directed at Wolfy's post thing, my computer has an Intel Core i7. And don't take this statement seriously, I know what you mean.

Edit: Well, look at this nice Lua coding! It gives Sonic some of his moves from modern games! Let's all focus on that script, since this is the thread for it, right?

Well, it looks there is no more bugs. Thanks for the fixing and it is a good lua script.
I give you a suggestion: On the light dash you could, instead of the falling animation when using, put the super sonic running animation with blue.

Well, it looks there is no more bugs. Thanks for the fixing and it is a good lua script.
I give you a suggestion: On the light dash you could, instead of the falling animation when using, put the super sonic running animation with blue.
The other lightdash is already using that animation and falling is like in 1.0.94

Also I noticed that the double jump is a bit overpowered, it sends you too high :|You should reduce its 'propulsion' to the half of a normal jump.

What are you talking about? I can't map, I can't create Character Wads (I can't sprite at all), I have really 0% chance of my Lua scripting fu derps being put up somewhere, other than those 1 or 2 times people will actually use my pretty much useless codes for simple things for a few days before finding a better way to do it.

Edit: Well, look at this nice Lua coding! It gives Sonic some of his moves from modern games! Let's all focus on that script, since this is the thread for it, right?

Don't use that as you excuse, when you write code, you don't just glue shit to the wall and hope it works, you TRY. You TRY your hardest to get it working as efficiently and effectively as possible. There's no bug-free guarantee but you can at least work at it. And it's great that you only now decide to go "Hey, this is a topic about the Lua code in the topic! Yeah, let's talk about that instead!" Why are you suddenly backing off? Why can't you accept responsibility? Why can't you admit you were wrong?

...But since you mentioned it, let's talk about this modern crap.

First off, pop quiz: When an ability isn't on the jump key, what's the first key you gravitate to? Nowadays, this is Custom 1. Question 2: What are you doing most of the time you're not running? Jumping. Part 3, what are you probably gonna use the MOST out of these abilities? The Double Jump, that's what! So Why the FUCK is it on Toss Flag!? Why is Lightdash on Custom 3? Why is the BOOST on Custom 1? Is it because of how broken it is?

Speaking of broken in a more literal sense, what is UP with this Double Jump? Nothing, under most circumstances. You tap it and you go up a fracunit and that's all she wrote. I know thrust code is wonky with player jumping, but then why does my own Double Jump work far better than yours does? There's not even a jump sound or something! When you give a player a double jump, that's probably the most common thing they're gonna do! It greatly extends horizontal jumping range in addition to going vertical, and it's usually just enough to climb on stuff, so if you're in the air, its what you're gonna do the most. You can't afford for it to just randomly not work, and be all the way onto wherever the player puts Toss Flag!

Second, the light dash. Or Lightdash or Light-dash or what have you. Why is it that you're STILL using the old version of the light dash code? You have to hold it the entire time you use it. Weather its on Custom 3 or Toss Flag, the "odd keys" as it were, it may not be in the most favorable position for most players, and as a result, can be uncomfortable or easy to let go. Just update it with the latest Lightdash code and it should be ok.

Third, the stomp. Christ, if you tap this, it sends you at a RIDICULOUS height. It's as bad as Cream's stomp used to be! This is probably the most broken of his abilities, and acts very little like it did in the Modern games you're trying to imitate. Why are you capable of skyrocketing? Why don't you just pierce enemies on the way down? With the boost, you can leap over giant chunks of the map!

And finally, the damn Boost. Why is this shit off of rings? Like, not even a bar, its DIRECTLY off of rings. With you losing a ring every second and gaining 5 rings in a row on any given level, you can use the boost almost the entire level. To put it in perspective, a single ring box gives you ten seconds of boost! That's ridiculous! It doesn't matter if you effectively lose all boost if you hit somebody if you're invincible to enemies! Well it stops being broken later on, if only because the game starts putting more cramped points to make it useless. Just nothing but scraping the sides of walls with my face.

So yeah, pretty clear I don't like it. At first, I thought this was all stolen code, but after comparing it to Greeneyes, everything seemed to check out. However, looking at it now, it's also really badly written. I know my own Greeneyes has its faults as a result of being the guinea pig, but man, This mod just doesn't feel good to play. It also doesn't help that this mod is at complete odds at how SRB2 handles normally, and as a result, SRB2's level design clashes with it a lot. Maybe if there were levels focused exclusively on these abilities, it would be able to shine, but as a standalone product, it just doesn't work well.

Last edited:
Don't use that as you excuse, when you write code, you don't just glue shit to the wall and hope it works, you TRY. You TRY your hardest to get it working as efficiently and effectively as possible. There's no bug-free guarantee but you can at least work at it. And it's great that you only now decide to go "Hey, this is a topic about the Lua code in the topic! Yeah, let's talk about that instead!" Why are you suddenly backing off? Why can't you accept responsibility? Why can't you admit you were wrong?

...But since you mentioned it, let's talk about this modern crap.

First off, pop quiz: When an ability isn't on the jump key, what's the first key you gravitate to? Nowadays, this is Custom 1. Question 2: What are you doing most of the time you're not running? Jumping. Part 3, what are you probably gonna use the MOST out of these abilities? The Double Jump, that's what! So Why the FUCK is it on Toss Flag!? Why is Lightdash on Custom 3? Why is the BOOST on Custom 1? Is it because of how broken it is?

Speaking of broken in a more literal sense, what is UP with this Double Jump? Nothing, under most circumstances. You tap it and you go up a fracunit and that's all she wrote. I know thrust code is wonky with player jumping, but then why does my own Double Jump work far better than yours does? There's not even a jump sound or something! When you give a player a double jump, that's probably the most common thing they're gonna do! It greatly extends horizontal jumping range in addition to going vertical, and it's usually just enough to climb on stuff, so if you're in the air, its what you're gonna do the most. You can't afford for it to just randomly not work, and be all the way onto wherever the player puts Toss Flag!

Second, the light dash. Or Lightdash or Light-dash or what have you. Why is it that you're STILL using the old version of the light dash code? You have to hold it the entire time you use it. Weather its on Custom 3 or Toss Flag, the "odd keys" as it were, it may not be in the most favorable position for most players, and as a result, can be uncomfortable or easy to let go. Just update it with the latest Lightdash code and it should be ok.

Third, the stomp. Christ, if you tap this, it sends you at a RIDICULOUS height. It's as bad as Cream's stomp used to be! This is probably the most broken of his abilities, and acts very little like it did in the Modern games you're trying to imitate. Why are you capable of skyrocketing? Why don't you just pierce enemies on the way down? With the boost, you can leap over giant chunks of the map!

And finally, the damn Boost. Why is this shit off of rings? Like, not even a bar, its DIRECTLY off of rings. With you losing a ring every second and gaining 5 rings in a row on any given level, you can use the boost almost the entire level. To put it in perspective, a single ring box gives you ten seconds of boost! That's ridiculous! It doesn't matter if you effectively lose all boost if you hit somebody if you're invincible to enemies! Well it stops being broken later on, if only because the game starts putting more cramped points to make it useless. Just nothing but scraping the sides of walls with my face.

So yeah, pretty clear I don't like it. At first, I thought this was all stolen code, but after comparing it to Greeneyes, everything seemed to check out. However, looking at it now, it's also really badly written. I know my own Greeneyes has its faults as a result of being the guinea pig, but man, This mod just doesn't feel good to play. It also doesn't help that this mod is at complete odds at how SRB2 handles normally, and as a result, SRB2's level design clashes with it a lot. Maybe if there were levels focused exclusively on these abilities, it would be able to shine, but as a standalone product, it just doesn't work well.
I'd like to say something about the modern sonic moveset but this feels almost like it's offtopic here.

If you have a modern sonic moveset you are most likely going to use the boost, that's why it's probably on custom button 1. I'm guessing that jump was added as a extra because colors sonic had it. This lua feels more like it's a basic "moveset" if you want to add modern sonic moves. Using up rings isn't the best idea, but it's a basic boost, which is somewhat balanced, at least it's not infinite. If you read the signature of the creator of this lua, you would see that even he thinks that boost wouldn't work in srb2, but he made it so people that want to use the modern moves can without having to code much lua stuff.

Lightdash on key 3 was something what I wanted to do. Most characters with custom moves would probably use 1-2 keys, so lightdash could be easily added to them without changing the button. Not sure why it's using the outdated code.

Also I noticed that the double jump is a bit overpowered, it sends you too high :|You should reduce its 'propulsion' to the half of a normal jump.

it depends on when you press the double jump key. its kinda a skill to learn as when to press it to get the maximum height.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

I want to do a boost bar but im not sure how so im using the ring drain as a starter until i learn how to make a boost bar work. im not the best with lua and most of this is custom code. that being said, thank you for the feed back and i will try to fix it so that it makes everyone happy and so i dont get comments where people rage about what button something is on. in all honesty, that is something you can change your self and does not need my scripting to solve.

AHA!!! There you go. See, If you go through the trouble of doing something, and someone tries to tell you how to make it better, and you tell them to do it their self, then you might as well not even do it. Its the same problem with Zero as well.

AHA!!! There you go. See, If you go through the trouble of doing something, and someone tries to tell you how to make it better, and you tell them to do it their self, then you might as well not even do it. Its the same problem with Zero as well.

i didnt tell him to do it himself. well at least not the boost. i said he shouldnt complain about the controls when all he has to do is go to options and change them himself.

I don't trust it because it isn't technically a number. (Excuse my use of the word "technical", as it actually is technically a number.) It is only a "pointer" to me. Like FracUnit, for example. FracUnit is "not" 65536 to me, it just "points" to it. Everyone can argue with me about it, and they can all be right, and I can be wrong, but it's like the colour red. My red may not necessarily be your red. My red could be your green, but I'd just had learned to call it red as well. I will never understand what your red exactly is, but you will know it in and out. That counts for all of you. You can know everything about all this, and trust it completely since you know it in and out, but while I might know it too, I don't trust it, due to being worried I don't know it 100% (even though in this case I probably do).
And the reason I said "I don't trust it, alright?" is because everyone was basically "No you have to trust it, it's the only thing that can't not be trusted", and I wanted to end them from saying that over and over.

Okay, I know this is a few days late, but I just want to point out that this color analogy is goofy. If we see the color spectrum differently, it won't fucking matter because functionally we will use them the same way, even if we percieve them differently. It's a hypothetical scenario with no meaningfully different conclusion.

I don't even have a clue how this relates to the topic at hand. I'll just say this: don't skimp on proper coding technique. Code isn't art and it isn't subjective.

You know, for sonic's modern moveset, it's alright, but it needs a hint of nostalgia. Like maybe Sonic Adventure's "Spamdash" Where you can keep spindashing after a spin dash and keep a good amount of speed.

You know, for sonic's modern moveset, it's alright, but it needs a hint of nostalgia. Like maybe Sonic Adventure's "Spamdash" Where you can keep spindashing after a spin dash and keep a good amount of speed.

i want to make a classic/dreamcast lua set that will incorporate that style of spindash along with the super peelout and etc.

I founded another bug but i couldn't post any videos or screenshots, sorry.

Whatever: If you try to boost with no rings, your sprite stops at the running animation. ​ I mean, it changes AND stops at the running animation. For javascript example:
Code:
gotoandstop (8)
(Sorry if you don't understand what i mean)

I founded another bug but i couldn't post any videos or screenshots, sorry.

Whatever: If you try to boost with no rings, your sprite stops at the running animation. ​ I mean, it changes AND stops at the running animation. For javascript example:
Code:
gotoandstop (8)
(Sorry if you don't understand what i mean)

Do you have the most recent version? This does not happen to me.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back