[Open Assets] Modern Sonic Abilities 4.0 BIG UPDATE

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
What's there not to trust? States are defined in a linear order, and the game will never go around shuffling their orders. You wouldn't check for manual equivalence to every value from 1 to 50 when you could just use 1 <= x <= 50, would you? Especially when filesize is such the concern you apparently take it as, if you're stripping out spaces like that.

What's there not to trust? States are defined in a linear order, and the game will never go around shuffling their orders. You wouldn't check for manual equivalence to every value from 1 to 50 when you could just use 1 <= x <= 50, would you? Especially when filesize is such the concern you apparently take it as, if you're stripping out spaces like that.
You may trust it. He may trust it. She may trust it. It may trust it. Sonic may not trust Amy. But I don't trust using more or less than for states, alright?

No, not alright. That's arbitrary and stupid.

If you don't "trust" something, explain why. If there's an issue with how it functions, then bring it up in Bug Reports instead of saying "well I don't trust it alright".

Don't make bloated, redundant code when writing and providing advice. Use common sense.

That's an incredibly stupid mindset to take about coding. This shit stays consistent. Your code isn't going to suddenly break for some people because you used a certain method of state checking. If you let some ridiculous emotions like "trust" dictate how you code, then you're a shitty coder and will always remain a shitty coder with no possible hope for improvement.

If you don't "trust" something, explain why.
I don't trust it because it isn't technically a number. (Excuse my use of the word "technical", as it actually is technically a number.) It is only a "pointer" to me. Like FracUnit, for example. FracUnit is "not" 65536 to me, it just "points" to it. Everyone can argue with me about it, and they can all be right, and I can be wrong, but it's like the colour red. My red may not necessarily be your red. My red could be your green, but I'd just had learned to call it red as well. I will never understand what your red exactly is, but you will know it in and out. That counts for all of you. You can know everything about all this, and trust it completely since you know it in and out, but while I might know it too, I don't trust it, due to being worried I don't know it 100% (even though in this case I probably do).
And the reason I said "I don't trust it, alright?" is because everyone was basically "No you have to trust it, it's the only thing that can't not be trusted", and I wanted to end them from saying that over and over.

For all practical purposes S_ prefix constants are still numbers, they are coded to be that way. You cannot modify their values, they cannot work as anything else, they're just numbers.

There is no "opinion" about whether they are numbers or not here. The game is built by actual people, not nature itself! If you can't accept what we're saying... good luck mate.

Last edited:
Besides, if you don't "trust" pointer arithmetic, stay far away from SRB2's source.

Pointer arithmetic is a necessary and important part of C; eschewing it because you don't "trust" it is absurd.

Stuff and things
Basically your statement amounts to "Well I don't actually know something so I'm going to use the long method and ignore anyone who points out better and more efficient scripting practice for the sake of being the individual that I am!" Stop it and just stop giving advice if you're going to do that. It's detrimental overall.

Last edited:
Am I the only person to acknowledge it is possible to use "or" many times instead of "more-" and/or "less- than"? Plus, I do use it (the more/less than) for all the stuff which is directly numbers. Like, speed. Speed measurement-stuff is a complete number. I'm not saying states aren't, since they are, I just don't trust it, YET.

Guys, seriously, though. If there is a person who stays away from using more/less than for something, yet everything he/she makes is still fully functional, and all you do is tell him/her to stop doing everything related to it, it's no wonder we can't have glorious skeleton-animated .smd models in OpenGL.
(Noone has answered me about the "import .smd model then .smd animation in FragMotion" thing I've asked about 3-5 times on an MD2 release thread thing by a person who uses FragMotion for skeletal animation before exporting MD2 models for SRB2. I can't vertex-animate that well. Especially not outside Blender. Even more especially not in Misfit Model 3D.)

"Hm... If this thing is 1 or 2 or 3, then this thing should happen to this thing at this moment. I'll test that now. Oh, it works completely as intended."
Do you seriously then bash him/her for using "if something==1 or something==2 or something==3" instead of "if something>0 and something<4"?

I am pretty sure I will get an infraction, or at least a(nother) warning about acting mature, for this post, but think about it. There is always room for improvement, right? I may look hopeless right now, but trust me, I am. Wait, what?

Also, what happened to that removed stuff in the last post? :P

Last edited:
You're not the only person to acknowledge that. However, an endless "or" or "if" tree lacks both scalability and increases the chances of human error. It also takes up way more space and is a completely inefficient use of the processor. I suggest you take some time out of your day (say, ~3 hours) just reading articles from The Daily WTF. It will help you to be a better coder.

So I'm reading these comments and i have to say, on a Thread about Modern Sonic's moves, are you all arguing about someones opinion? Are we not aloud to have opinions of our own?

Motdspork: you're missing the point completely. He's using some terrible comparison to coding as an excuse not to improve it.

Im not missing anything but if he does it one way and not the other and it works for him then let him do it. its none of our job to judge how he does things.

Im not missing anything but if he does it one way and not the other and it works for him then let him do it. its none of our job to judge how he does things.
Finally someone understands it. I'm tempted to write this whole message in all-caps, but I'd just get an infraction for doing so, so I won't.

The Zero Team: i know the feeling. also you helped me with the code, so im helping you now in return.

The Zero Team: i know the feeling. also you helped me with the code, so im helping you now in return.

Bullshit.

It's not help if you are just defending someone for only giving out excuses. People who were talking to him before were basically the ones helping by giving criticism and helping him understand how the coding works. It's not even an opinion, it's his fault for not wanting to admit he doesn't fully knows what he's talking about and stop giving out excuses that nobody understands him, and I doubt you understand him either.

This is not about picking on someone and humiliating him, it's about HELPING. If he starts an argument over it, that's his own fault. Don't defend someone's overuse of excuses. Gosh.

Bullshit.

It's not help if you are just defending someone for only giving out excuses. People who were talking to him before were basically the ones helping by giving criticism and helping him understand how the coding works. It's not even an opinion, it's his fault for not wanting to admit he doesn't fully knows what he's talking about and stop giving out excuses that nobody understands him, and I doubt you understand him either.

This is not about picking on someone and humiliating him, it's about HELPING. If he starts an argument over it, that's his own fault. Don't defend someone's overuse of excuses. Gosh.

even IF he doesnt know what hes doing, he used 1-2 excuses about why he typed what he did, and no body is even acknowledging what he said.

Actually you all were just bashing me for doing that stuff. At least from my perspective. And again from my perspective, I wasn't giving excuses, but explanations. So his help was appreciated. Now let's all have a beer and forget everything about the fact people call animated .gif files "screenshots" in terms of SRB2. And this "argument" thing, too.

To be quite frank, there's a merit in doing things the right way: people will be looking at your lua script in time to come.

They will perhaps be learning from your lua script, good or not; they will copy your mistakes unknowingly. And we'll all be slightly worse off for it ultimately.

Like for instance, I so wish I hadn't introduced Lua into the world using implicitly defined functions in ThinkFrame. Now everyone's copying that and it's all my fault! =(

Finally someone understands it. I'm tempted to write this whole message in all-caps, but I'd just get an infraction for doing so, so I won't.
To be very honest, you're proving yourself to be a stubborn and awful coder who wants to avoid learning. Programming is meant to make things easier, not to make things repetitive and tedious. By your logic, it's better to use an old computer from 1998 than a brand new computer running on an i7 simply because you don't "trust" it.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back