SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21
Jer the Hedgehog
Speedy Purple Hedgehog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D00D64 View Post
[Why did the moderation edit button have to be right next to the Quote button, dangit]

The qualifications for the Message Board releases are so low and easy to meet. The quality level is bare minimum, especially BECAUSE inexperienced creators can get their content out and learn from feedback. But you need to have showed you at least tried. You also need to meet filename contentions so its clear what a file is for, and what version it is, making things easier to sort through in folders and, far more importantly, keeping everyone in sync during multiplayer.

If you can't meet these goals, then you really aren't trying hard enough. Again, this bar is not hard to clear. The most common reasons for mods to be on GameBanana and not here, is if its a deliberate joke, of such poor quality that the user wouldn't be allowed to let it in, or even the user of the mod being a banned user. Sorting through GameBanana's SRB2 and Kart sections are like sorting through trash to find the half-eaten burger.
I'd make a mod if I could make sprite art lol
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22
Icarus
Warrior from Algol

Thanks for making this thread, I've been hesitating into talking about this site too.

I don't want to sound like a gatekeeper but imo I would've forbidden GB into hosting SRB2 mods and that the game server wouldn't allow the use of mods that weren't approved by the MB to keep the game looking as a quality product.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #23
CST1229

Pre-2.0 SRB2MB, from what I heard in a video, also had no Releases system. Just publish and done.
I think it would have been similar to the current SRB2 Gamebanana, but with actual moderation,
(mod not mine)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24
D00D64
Probably Responsible

Believe me, if there was no submissions system and people could just post whatever they wanted, and moderators/judges had to fix it after the fact? I know I certainly wouldn't take that job. The whole point of submissions is to stop non-functional or absolute trash mods from spreading before it becomes a problem. This is also why we're so serious about filenames; there have been plenty of situations in netplay where players effectively had the same file, but had to redownload files anyway because versions were wrong. Or worse, different updates to the mod had the same filename.

If we had to rush in and fix mod issues after a mod has already been released into the wild, I imagine most of us wouldn't even bother.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #25
The_Oofer
so i exist

So I got addicted to gamebanana not the srb2 one btw sorry this is offtopic

Quote:
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #26
Apollyon Woman
Homestuck Trash

Another issue people are neglecting to mention is its lack of protection against content theft.

Having discussed it with GB Admins directly, their policy is "assume that whoever posted got permission to post whatever they use". What this means is that sloppy, rushed bootleg ports (or "portlegs" as I've called them) are 100% allowed on the page as long as the original creator is added to the credits section. And it's happened before too! Mighty, SRB2The Past, Subarashii, these are just some of the mods that were up on the page for a while before eventually being taken down.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #27
ClassicNC
welp

Actually, the entire Sugoi trilogy was on gamebanana
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #28
Icarus
Warrior from Algol

Can we ask GB to delete every SRB2 mods and ask server owners to not host unofficial ports?

Or this is maybe a bit too much asking... nothing is stopping people from making and sharing bootleg and low-quality stuff sadly (kinda like the sea of mediocre to garbage Doom wads).
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #29
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollyon Woman View Post
Another issue people are neglecting to mention is its lack of protection against content theft.

Having discussed it with GB Admins directly, their policy is "assume that whoever posted got permission to post whatever they use". What this means is that sloppy, rushed bootleg ports (or "portlegs" as I've called them) are 100% allowed on the page as long as the original creator is added to the credits section. And it's happened before too! Mighty, SRB2The Past, Subarashii, these are just some of the mods that were up on the page for a while before eventually being taken down.
To be fair, SRB2 the past was marked as reusable from the start. However, what killed the portleg was the amount of work to fix up just that version so everything works. The Portlegger was not willing to do the work. (There's a reason I say it's going to be several months for the update.)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30
I'll Begin
💪🐑

Can I just say, I'm loving the term "portleg".
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #31
LuxisLand
Just vibing!

Remember kids!
If you want to download mods, use the Message Board (MB)
And not the Forbidden Banana.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32
Rafael44642

I've heard about Gamebanana but never went to the srb2 section and the first thing that caugh up my attention was a dumb mod called Sex in SRB2.... I... I just.....what? Oh wait, i checked it and now the mod is trashed but seriously , who would want sex in a sonic fan game ?!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33
The_Oofer
so i exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael44642 View Post
I've heard about Gamebanana but never went to the srb2 section and the first thing that caugh up my attention was a dumb mod called Sex in SRB2.... I... I just.....what? Oh wait, i checked it and now the mod is trashed but seriously , who would want sex in a sonic fan game ?!
Excuse me what the fu-

Quote:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34
GeorgeMP
Eef freef!

Quote:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #35
The_Oofer
so i exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMP View Post
Same dude that's kinda freaky

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Quote:
https://youtu.be/llqWTJGUFeE

Quote:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #36
iuetqueru
I port Xmas Sonic to 2.2

Quote:
I think only in proyect x (not that game what apears virtua fighter chars)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #37
Tjoc55

Quote:
That mod was made by Superblur97.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #38
SnowDan21
Thinking about funny monkey

Quote:
I have many questions most of which include:

W H Y
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #39
Charonik08
No Charks in this pool!

Quote:
God has found your sin unforgivable
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #40
TehPuertoRicanSpartan

Quote:
we don't want to hear it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I agree with Silver on this one, could you please refrain from using cuss words?
Closed Thread