Thokker - Let's play "Kick the Crawla"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go, a neat Zip with srb2balldd.exe and r_opengl.dll: [LINK] Disclaimer: I didn't test it. Maybe direct-draw was left out on purpose because slopes might not render? Note that the Zip will be removed from the site in 48-ish hours.
Make sure to click the cyan-blue download button beneath the "uploaded on, accessible until, downloads [number]" info, not one of the ads. (If you have adblock, don't worry about the ads.) My usual ad-free file-sharing service is being finnicky, so I couldn't upload it there.

Also, I compiled it off from the "exact commit SHA" in the opening post, so it should be fully netgame compatible and stuff with the SDL2 build (I think), but you'll still need the files in the Zip from the opening post of this thread.

We could just setup Appveyor to build the EXE and when some tags a commit for release, it will upload the zip of the EXE to Github's release, so release will have both the source code tar.gz/zip but also a Windows EXE to go with it.....

We could just setup Appveyor to build the EXE and when some tags a commit for release, it will upload the zip of the EXE to Github's release, so release will have both the source code tar.gz/zip but also a Windows EXE to go with it.....
... *Shrug* The thing here was someone requested a direct-draw build of the Thokker EXE due to issues with SDL2, so I simply compiled one for him/her/them.

Nameless base is ugly as fuck :P , in all seriousness i'm really enjoying it no matter how much is the ball resynching :v .

The sensitivity of the mouselook is really off-putting and inconsistent. Could you fix that?

It could make the game more easier for newer players.

Also. Is there no Direct Draw exe?

What about the mouselook. That is a pain in the ass.

I cant look around properly

Y U No Work

I Tried to play on Software mode but It keeps crashing as soon as the Slopes are Rendered, It Works fine on OpenGL though... Any help?

Too bad it only includes the SDL2 build, since I do have some problems with it, like, when I'm turning around slowly, it's all fine, but when I turn around fast, then I turn around more than I do in DirectDraw. So, when I'd normally expect to turn by 180 degrees, I turn ~225. (I use the mouse)
So I suppose you should either fix that problem, or include the DirectDraw build...
Thanks for giving feedback! I'll try to look into how the mouse is currently being handled and see if I can make it work better. (One of the reasons I didn't want to include a DD build in the main release ZIP was that I realized this makes the perfect opportunity to coerce people into using SDL2 builds so that maybe we could get feedback on them.)

Personally, I think it'd be cool if there was some visual representation of Tails's "gust of wind". Like, just something simple to give the player a better idea of the general range it covers. Of course I realize that playing the game extensively would help with adjusting to an extent, but I feel like being able to physically see the area of effect in some shape or form would be helpful too.
Duly noted. We'll put our heads together and try to figure out a good way to indicate it that doesn't make it difficult to see the ball. I still have trouble handling the gusts myself, so maybe this was something we should've done way earlier, heh.

Also, the guys in my server came across a glitch with the ball getting stuck in the ground on Treasure Town. Not sure on the exact details, but it has to do with some interaction with the fence and the ball(and possibly the player too?)
This was something we noticed in testing, but unfortunately couldn't figure out a good way to prevent. Everything I tried was just ignored by the game. :< In the meantime, if it does happen to get stuck, you can either use ballcheck 0 to force a ball resync, which will pop it out of the ground, or endround to force the round to end, which is the much less fun solution. (I should list those console commands in the OP.)

I think the ball needs to be bigger. Due to the high pace this game has, hitting it is next to impossible a lot of the time.
My only concern with that is the ball already has a fairly large hit radius as it is, and making it bigger might make it hard to see around.

I Tried to play on Software mode but It keeps crashing as soon as the Slopes are Rendered, It Works fine on OpenGL though... Any help?
Hm... Could you give us the EIP of the crash, and/or anything including video resolution and steps to reproduce that can help us sort out the issue? Some more information on this front would be nice.

I don't think either of these things are supposed to happen...
G7wxzvc.png

zm7IFfk.png

I got this one just by kicking the ball and the gate happened to be closing right when I kicked it over there.

You're running the game in OpenGL, that's why, they appearantly aren't working properly in that mode .

You're running the game in OpenGL, that's why, they appearantly aren't working properly in that mode .

Um, no. When you use a different renderer, all that changes is how things display. It doesn't interfere with game logic.

Um, no. When you use a different renderer, all that changes is how things display. It doesn't interfere with game logic.
I think RomioTheBadass was talking about the first image in the spoiler, with the seemingly-graphically-glitched "spikes" on the tent thing in the middle (which aren't in the screenshot in the opening post, which was presumably taken in software mode).
I get the same issue in OpenGL, however I haven't tested software mode yet (and I'm at work, so I can't test now).

I'm talking about slopes in MAPB6, try running that in OpenGL mode and see what'll happen, although it works alright in Software mode .

That's actually a glitch that happened while I was playing in software mode for the first time on this game. Basically, what happens is the gate shuts on the ball and it pushes it under the ground, meaning that players can no longer interact with it. I'm not sure exactly what causes it, but there's no way to reset the ball's position other than restarting the map, and that CAN be quite troublesome.

...but there's no way to reset the ball's position other than restarting the map, and that CAN be quite troublesome.

This was something we noticed in testing, but unfortunately couldn't figure out a good way to prevent. Everything I tried was just ignored by the game. :< In the meantime, if it does happen to get stuck, you can either use ballcheck 0 to force a ball resync, which will pop it out of the ground, or endround to force the round to end, which is the much less fun solution. (I should list those console commands in the OP.)

Here you go.

Dang, that sucks man. Well at least there's the ballcheck command, so no worries. =3

I think the ball needs to be bigger. Due to the high pace this game has, hitting it is next to impossible a lot of the time.
I'd be inclined to agree, but at the same time, it's hard to say whether I feel it's necessary, because I feel like it's still early days and I haven't had too much trouble with hitting the ball lately. Then again, I'm usually hosting games so...accuracy doesn't quite seem to favor everyone else as it would with me. Hmm, yeah maybe the ball could do with being made big enough to not require too much accuracy from joining players, but small enough that it isn't obstructive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back