What's with servers nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirom

aka J-town/NeonJ
Jeeze. Whatever happened to SRB2? It's just FLOODED with Coop now! I see no match. No tag and very small CTF.

What's going on?!

EDIT: Just incase you ask, i've been logging on at peak times.

My guess is with the major increase in single player campaign levels in the default srb2, coop is appealing more to people now that its worth playing with 7 zones. plus all the new features that 2.0 gives us, the level wadding is much more open. the possibilities are continueing to make coop an even better mode. although i do miss race ;-;

Yeah, but nobody actually plays coop cooperatively. All I see is racing to the finish and changing characters whenever you please. I see no "Tails picking up Sonic to help" neither do I see Knuckles taking out enemies when Sonic and Tails are hurt.

People just stay apart. I haven't actually seen any server where a group stays together and finishes together. It's just get to the finish and leave everyone behind.

I never understood the popularity of coop. I mean, why play single player with other people when you going to ignore them anyway?

Yeah, but nobody actually plays coop cooperatively. All I see is racing to the finish and changing characters whenever you please. I see no "Tails picking up Sonic to help" neither do I see Knuckles taking out enemies when Sonic and Tails are hurt.
This is because that's not how you play SRB2 Coop. Coop is played by spreading out to collect all the tokens quickly and then exit as fast as possible. There is really nothing wrong with this mindset because there's no obstacle in the maps that the players can't overcome by themselves.

If you want to make some true cooperative maps, go right ahead. Just be warned that you can't play them at all unless you get as many players as you decided to be necessary.

This is because that's not how you play SRB2 Coop. Coop is played by spreading out to collect all the tokens quickly and then exit as fast as possible.
So essentially, single player for lazy guys. Seriously, why collect the tokens again if you already have done it once?

Well, like Kirblord said, there's alot more Co-op content in v2.0 than there has ever been in previous versions. Also there is the fact that Co-op is the gametype that's most Sonic-like, rather than a completely different game all together.

To add to that: There's alot more netgames than there used to be. There's currently 14 netgames running. Before, it was great if there was even a Match or CTF game running. These days, you can almost always find one, though you will have to search through the Co-op games.

This is because that's not how you play SRB2 Coop. Coop is played by spreading out to collect all the tokens quickly and then exit as fast as possible. There is really nothing wrong with this mindset because there's no obstacle in the maps that the players can't overcome by themselves.

Then why's it called Coop?! I see nothing cooperative about that last statement. All I'm hearing is splitting up and leaving players behind like usual.
This is why I'm rooting for a new variable which stops people changing their skin while not being forceskin.

I know, right? Race does everything better, and if you'd like to fight bosses, flip to Co-op for that part.

So essentially, single player for lazy guys. Seriously, why collect the tokens again if you already have done it once?
I dunno. Why race twice on the same map? Why keep playing Match after you've shot somebody?

Maybe it's because it's fun.
Then why's it called Coop?!
Because "Multiplayer Single Player" would be too much of a mouthful. Plus, you have playersforexit now, so stop whining.

Maybe it's because it's fun.
Collecting tokens when you know where they are and playing annoying special stages is not my idea of fun. But that's just my opinion, of course.

I still don't get why people prefer getting one token instead of all and collecting only a few rings in special stages.

EDIT: Also, one plays race twice to get a better time, and plays match twice to get more points. Obvious, isn't it?

Last edited:
I fail to see how this is any different from Single Player.

Yet people replay both, because they're fun.

Ok, I think we get the "THIS IS FUN"

Also COOP is COOP because you help each other find tokens, hit switches, get to the end/beat eggman. And the reason why there are so much is because its simple...and -_- "fun"

When I play match, its not really fun when the host has a laggy server with 16 players. Just little lag could change the outcome of your score. I also find that match is complex and I don't really like how many controls you use for it. But coop, jump, spin, move. Thats it! Coop isn't that competitive either. So there isn't any "teams are so unfair." Some people just love to do puzzles and platform. Its kind of like Ratchet and Clank. Match is decent, but Coop is much more fun.

I never understood the popularity of coop. I mean, why play single player with other people when you going to ignore them anyway?
I need to play Coop like I need a hole in my freakin' head. Like the other guys said, why the hell would I want to play Single Player campaign with other players when you don't actually work together? Plus, Coop takes all the fun out of the levels because you don't actually have to beat the level. You can just wander aimlessly until someone more skilled than you reaches the end. Where's the fun if a bunch of n00bs aren't even trying? Basically, the only real way to make Coop more interesting is by RPing, which is banned (and for good reason). So, seriously, what the hell kind of additional depth and fun does Coop bring to the table?

Well I don't usually because when I host I usually have 4 or less players. It is still do able but it does not seem like alot for CTF, match, or tag, especially when the maps are big which gives less chances of meeting up.

People just stay apart. I haven't actually seen any server where a group stays together and finishes together. It's just get to the finish and leave everyone behind.
I kind of have, once. They finish the level and after awhile they leave and come back to help the other people who are still doing the level.

Coop, honestly, is much better with an IRL friend on a LAN or in splitscreen. Beyond around 3 players, it breaks down entirely.

I don't really like how many controls you use for it. But coop, jump, spin, move..

In Match, it's Jump, Spin, Move, Shoot, and change weapon. OH SO COMPLICATED AMIRITE

...But really, I find this control quite simple, actually; WASD for movement, Space to jump, Shift to spin, F to change weapon (Wheel doesn't feel very responsive to me), and Left Click to shoot. I find it works quite well, and once you get past the weirdness of mouselook, it becomes second nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back