Sonic Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Visually, I think modern Sonic looks amazing. It's quite astounding and intense to see beautiful scenery rush by at such speeds. I think classic sonic is where the game play is strongest, and it's still visually beautiful, just not as explosively. For me,
Modern = eye candy
Classic = game play

Dear god, is that what it looks like? It looks like sonic colors style graphics!

Because the Sonic Colors Graphics were so bad. I mean, seriously, Sonic was made out of, like, 15 polygons, at most.

Yes, let's turn this topic into flaming and lunacy. Any more of this and I'll show you to the door.

I think he just needed an excuse to post a pony. :3

Ultimate said:
Modern = eye candy

Most certainly, but I liked how it was in Sonic Adventure, where you could actually go explore the scenery. Heck, even SA2 you could do that in! But no, now we have all these invisible walls. And even if you manage to jump them, of course there's no collisions, and you fall to your death in the endless abyss of scenery. I speak from experience.
*pats lazer wisp fondly*
"You did your best, lil' buddy. I can't hold you accountable for SEGA's mean-ness."

Modern, by far, actually, the changes have been very little, taking in count it's "20 Years of Sonic", only eye color, spike lenth...

If average fan's mind wasn't so easily manipulated by masses, nowdays' Sonic would be much more "Advanced". (Referring to the Sonic '06 Hategasm)

"its not even classic sonic tho, he has buckles on his shoes, and "classic" sonic didnt.

sonic-gems-collection-20050518081921751_640w.jpg

Video-Game-Vault-Sonic-CD-by-ScrewAttack-Possibly-the-Best-Sonic-Game-of-All-Time-on-the-Sega-CD.png

Hiiii Classic Sonic with a buckle on his shoe 8D

Also I know I'm late to the subject. Just thought I'd show some photographical proof.

Because the Sonic Colors Graphics were so bad. I mean, seriously, Sonic was made out of, like, 15 polygons, at most.

I think he just needed an excuse to post a pony. :3

Most certainly, but I liked how it was in Sonic Adventure, where you could actually go explore the scenery. Heck, even SA2 you could do that in! But no, now we have all these invisible walls. And even if you manage to jump them, of course there's no collisions, and you fall to your death in the endless abyss of scenery. I speak from experience.
*pats lazer wisp fondly*
"You did your best, lil' buddy. I can't hold you accountable for SEGA's mean-ness."

Sorry.I meant how close they looked to the Sonic colors graphics. and now that i think about it, didn't Sonic colors try to simulate of the hedgehog engine? and now that i think about it even more, didn't someone say that they could fit the entirety of 360/Ps3 Unleashed levels. I was just shocked at how it looks close to Sonic colors, making me wonder why this couldnt be on the Wii.

Ugh, this is what I get for not studying in my Spanish class. Someone please translate the interview video.

As for the game, I think that this would really be an outstanding game, I can't wait to see more levels, especially the Adventure levels.

Edit: Wait, so I'm guessing there will be the 3D levels (Adventure and after) remade in 2.5D aswell?

Ugh, this is what I get for not studying in my Spanish class. Someone please translate the interview video.

WITH PLEASURE, TRANSLATED LINE BY LINE! (If you find terms weird and/or repetitve blame the Japanese developer, not me):

In this year, 2011, it is Sonic's 20th Birthday. Sonic Generation's concept was essentially compress 20 years of history in a single game.

To accomplish that, what we did was mixing up the traditional Sonic, along with his traditinal platforming in 2D, and his characteristic gameplay with modern Sonic and all his very own features.

In our opinion, there are fans that enjoy 2D Sonic gaming, the action and platforming style, and others that prefer Sonic on 3D, as of 2010, we released Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors, Sonic 4 was oriented to the greatest classic-Sonic fans, while Colors was orientated towards the 3D loving fans.

What we have done in Sonic Generations is to create a game that is oriented to both "groups", we hope everyone enjoys this unique game and we can celebrate Sonic's 20th Birthday together.

Sonic Generation's design is an authentic syntesys of 20 years of Sonic, therefore, it is not focused in the character's classic elements, neither towards the new changes we've seen in the last year, instead, it tries to take in count every aspect seen in 20 years of Sonic history.

Today we had a demonstration of Green Hill Zone, wich is the very first level seen in the franchise, but troughout this year, we'll announce other levels for the game, and you'll notice they come out from everywhere.

It is not about new stuff or old stuff, but as I say, to "Embark it All", today we have announced we'd have 2 playable characters on Sonic Generations, wich are the "Classic" Sonic and the "Modern" Sonic but other characters from Sonic universe will also make their appearence, such as Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc. They will be an important element for the game but we've still got alot of surprises to show up.

The focus is to create an action game that is fun to play, wich can be attained the Classic way, but with old Sonic and new Sonic this time. For us to focus on that, there will be no cooperative or competitive gametype, but a pure action and platforming game for single player!

"15 Polygons" is a superlative, not a sarcastic expression.

I don't care if it is a super laxative or an ultra antihistamine, it was meant to be sarcastic, I'm sorry if it didn't translate well on the internet.

Just gonna leave this here(not sure if it's REALLY trustable since gamestop probably wouldn't just reveal the release date before SEGA would(I mean, how the heck would they know? They could also just mean "it'll be released by this date" or something as well...), but still worth looking at...)

60 dollar price and possibly being released at the very last day of 2011 aside, The gameplay is looking pretty awesome, modern Sonic is just more colors/day-time unleashed which is good(the 3D does seem a bit...lacking here though...) and classic Sonic is pretty much what Sonic 4 should have been(not saying it was BAD, just not exactly GREAT, more of a "meh" if you ask me).

But one thing still baffles me, why bring back classic Sonic in this? Why not episode 2 of Sonic 4, the game people WANTED classic Sonic in? speaking of 4, can we also expect episode 2 to be better now since the gameplay of Generations is clearly showing much better physics/level design/etc then episode 1?

EDIT: Also, since they seem to be reusing levels, Emerald Coast, calling it now.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/04/classic-sonic-wont-be-saying-a-word-in-sonic-generations/

So yeah, no voice is better than stupid voice from the cartoons, I suppose. Or maybe I just disliked that voice because I associated it with Urkel, I dunno.

I agree. Jaleel White doesn't fit the universe of "Sonic 1" Sonic. That was largely an Americanization thing (although I still thought it was totally stupid back then). Just waiting for him to say, "Did I dooooo thaaaat?" or "Oh Saaaaaalleeeeeeee! Hee hee! *snort* *snort*"

In fact, I would go so far as to say Jaleel White was what made Sonic embarassing while Sonic was cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back