Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reasonably sure no one has mentioned this yet, but I could be wrong: Was it your intention to make Star Showdown to where you can not survive a signal hit, either from the blow itself or the knock back that results from getting hit. Now do note that I am not calling the zone impossible, but that surviving damage on this map is impossible.

It wasn't my original intention, but I did notice that when I tested it. I actually can't beat that level, but I'm 90% sure it's possible in theory.

I know, how pathetic is that? A level designer who can't beat his own level.

I am 98 % shore it can be done, it's just hard as hell, especially if you suck at the game like I do an managed to come in to the boss fight with one life and the continue.

I've had problems myself with Star Showdown Zone. One hit and i'm knocked right off. I could easily beat the boss if it wasn't for the camera getting stuck behind the boss but yes, it is beatable

I'm almost finished with the new version of Snowcap Nimbus Zone. It has been changed somewhat less than the previous three zones, but the changes that have been made are extremely noticeable, such as better universal texturing, and a few alternate paths.

A particularly noteworthy gimmick occurs on an alternate path near the end of Act 2, which takes the PolyObject cable car in ACZ to a whole new level. Unfortunately, the limitations and glitchiness of the whole PolyObject system means you will see a few graphical problems while taking this route. In my opinion, the gameplay experience in this area makes up for that, but I figured I'd give you guys warning.

wvbamp.png

Sonic users cannot get pass this part because the Red spring doesn't launch them high enough here.

Unless you already knew about that...

If you went that way, you'd be going backwards. I don't know why I put a red spring there, but it will be gone in V3.0, to make that less confusing.

I still want to see the Spacewalk Act 2 issue I pointed out before fixed... I've tried again multiple times and still failed... After launching off those red springs in the area where gravity shifts, you go into space and the game will crash when the gravity tries to flip again. Solution? Remove the gravity shifting effects on the space area and make sure you can progress before uploading the next version.

I'll be sure to try that, and see if it works.

BTW, this is kind of off topic, but I'm posting this from my iPod Touch! Cool, eh?

A couple of flaws to mention, because I'm too lazy to review the pack in full. Keep in mind that I stopped playing at Drowned Downtown zone because I hated the level so much:

-Needs moar texture variation. Too many levels have only one or two textures plastered on every wall.
-Please fix the skies in your levels. The first level's sky is waaay to high up, the second doesn't fit, and the third is even worse.
-Too much darkness! Your caves are way too dark. Many times I'd get lost or fall into pits because everything is so damned dark. Software + Darkness hurts the eyes.
-Drowned Downtown.
This level applies to most everything above and then some. The level design is bland. Boring. It's almost excusable in Act 1 because it wasn't that long, but Act 2 really took it's place in my list of one of the worst levels I've ever played. After ~5 minutes of playing (and with the taste of act 1 still in my mouth), everything just blended into a bland mesh of the same brick textures, dark colormap, and boring mazelike design. There's nothing redeeming here, no interesting set pieces, the map is downright ugly, and the only thing that isn't completely forgettable is how damn long it took me. Perhaps I'm just being biased, as I hate underwater levels/gargoyle puzzles and you just happened to put me through both at the same time, but I honestly didn't enjoy this at all. Throw in some more textures, some more interesting design, and don't make everything so dark. Make some cool sector-based lighting effects or something if you have to, anything to make the level more interesting. Until then I don't plan on playing this level ever again.

Well, Ice, I think you might be in luck for the next version, because DDZ has been changed considerably. You may still not enjoy it that much, but you should know a few major points about the V3.0 DDZ:
-Everything is brighter, except for super-secret areas and decorative tunnels.
-There is more texture variation.
-There is a LOT more sector-based scenery.
-There are some path splits, including one which means that you can choose not to go past the gargoyle puzzles at all.

Also, here's a hasty progress update: I'm currently overhauling Gritty Columns Zone.

I'm not rushing this, don't worry.

Also, I'm not necessarily going to stop working on Tortured Planet after v3.0, either.

Just beat Star' last night, got the screen shot and everything. This is probably a major glitch, but after that and going to the secrets minus, I selected the level select option, pressed Esc, and suddenly I had several options I'm reasonably sure are only supposed to be inside Pandora's Box. Couldn't get a shot for proof, but thought I would let you know.

I've observed that myself. I have no idea what causes it, and thus no idea how to fix it, but it's not really that big of a deal in terms of gameplay, so what the hey?

The level select via secrets menu should be a different function than the level select via load/save, but they aren't. This is why oddities like this occur.

Then again, the entire menu system is a mess internally.

There's a bit of irony in my recent updates...GCZ2 was probably one of the best levels in Tortured Planet to begin with, but it also got some dramatic overhauls.

Here's an update on progress. I've finished overhauling Gritty Columns Zone. Here's a breakdown of the most crucial changes:

Gritty Columns Zone Act 1:
-Mostly visual overhauls. The cacti (sector-based AND Thing-based) have been reworked to look much more like in ACZ, and I've also added in a few ACZ-style dry riverbeds. Plus, there's a new path split which occurs in the Gargoyle pyramid room. You open this path by pushing all the Gargoyles off the pyramid.
-Some parts have been changed to be a little more forgiving in terms of gameplay and direction.
-Graphical glitches have been fixed.
-There are a couple new secret items.

Gritty Columns Zone Act 2:
-Graphical, graphical, graphical! The old version of this level mostly used just the same three textures. Now, there are more. Some parts of this level still have the old textures, but other parts (mostly the larger, more gimmick-filled rooms) now have Doomship brick textures or stone wall textures.
-More secrets.
-Two new elaborate path splits. One occurs in the Gargoyle puzzle room (yes, there is now a use for both scrolling directions), and one occurs just after the rising quicksand chamber, and involves the crumbling floor.

On to Fume Shaft Zone!

Okay...I feel I must advertise this new gimmick in LGZ2 (it took me a LOOOOONG time to figure out how to do it!):

14uvtpt.png

This is the "Chance Room". Tails and Knuckles are the only ones who can get in. When you press the "?" switch, one of those nine doors open (it opens a different one each time--occasionally you might get lucky and have two doors open) to reveal a prize. The worst of these prizes is an angry Sharp (AAAARGH!), and the best of these prizes is Tails's emblem for this level! In between these extremes, you can also win any kind of shield, Invincibility, or Super Sneakers.

Oh, and you also don't have a 1 in 9 chance for each prize. The odds are deliberately weighted towards the lesser prizes, so you'll be much more likely to win a Sharp than the emblem. But that's no reason not to keep trying for the jackpot! Except you'll have to lose a life and come back to this area to try again, of course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back