SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Lua

Classic.wad Returns! Classic Physics (Mostly) Recreated in SRB2! Details »»
Classic.wad Returns! Classic Physics (Mostly) Recreated in SRB2!
Developer Last Online: Aug 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (7 votes - 3.86 average)
Released: 12-31-2019 Last Update: Never Favourites: 10
Scripts

Do you like the classic Sonic quadrilogy? Do feel like you're walking down that giant slope in GFZ2? Do you hate having to wait what seems like an eternity while charging a spindash? Do you still just hate Sonic the Hedgehog in race and want him nerfed? Well Classic.wad is back and may be the solution for you!

Classic.wad was originally intended as an answer to the question of "what if Sonic Team Jr. decided to make SRB2 more like the classic games" with some bug fixes as well, and while some of the changes and bugfixes made have even gotten into vanilla (wow!), the main mechanics of Classic.wad such as momentum and slope acceleration still remain unimplemented, and thus why I've ported this to 2.2!

But what does Classic.wad do exactly? Well my dear reader, look in this spoiler for a list of changes from vanilla!
Spoiler: Vanilla changelog
-Removed Thok
If Cobalt's momentum script is anything to go by, it shows that thok is incredibly overpowered when coupled with classic Sonic-style momentum. Sonic now relies much more heavily on those brand new shield abilities added in 2.2. Don't worry though, I plan to give an alternative to the thok in a future update.

-Added momentum and slope acceleration
This allows most of the cast, except for some of the more unique characters that can't keep up, to utilize slopes and build momentum by running down them!

-Increased rolling acceleration on slopes. *NEW!*
This does what it says on the tin, when rolling down a hill, it is now much more noticable that you're speeding up.

-Changed spindash behavior.
Charging up a spindash has been changed to more closely match the mash style of the Genesis games. Hold down spin and repeatedly press Jump to rev the spindash, It only holds 8 charges this time around and unlike the classics, they don't disappear if you don't mash fast enough.

-Added spindash assist *NEW!*
Spindash Assist is a new feature that is like a midway point between vanilla SRB2's behavior and the new button mash version for those who still struggle with mashing due to keyboard layouts. It's turned on by default but veterans of Classic.wad may wish to turn this feature off, and you can do that by typing "SpindashAssist off" in the console whle in a level!

-Allow rolling when landing after using a midair ability
You can now curl up into a ball automatically if you hold spin, regardless of if you've used your ability or not!

-Remove water skipping/Re-enable Full control when jumping out of a roll
While the latter half of this was already partially implemented in vanilla, I still didn't feel it was enough of a change and this still needed to be added.

-Super Sonic can no longer fly *NEW?!*
I don't even know how I managed to pull this off but I did! I had intended to do this prior to 2.2 but 2.2 just sort of did it for me instead. Thank you.

-Every character can turn super
Are you frustrated that even though you completed the game 100%, got all emblems, and got all emeralds as Tails, only to find that he still can't turn super, even with the in-game cheat? Well now everyone can turn super and none of the devs can stop you!

-Added Amy's hammer jump *NEW!*
Do you miss 2.1 Ros-
... Huh? What do you mean that there's already two other scripts in releases that do this? No I haven't tried them! Dang it this thing is supposed to ship tomo-
Umm.. Do you like Sonic Adventure Amy? Here's a hammer jump for you. Hold down Custom Button 1 and press Spin while running to perform a hammer leap! How high you go is directly tied to your momentum!

-Added classic-style spring-falling animation
One of the first additions to this mod when it started. If you fall after jumping on a spring, your animation changes to the run or walk cycle depending on how fast you're going just like in Sonic 1, 2 and 3!

-Buffed Super and Speedshoes acceleration *NEW!*

Here's a giant changelog of all the previous versions I've done!
Spoiler: changelog

--v2.2.2a--
-Reverted a bit of code that changed the spindashing sound left in while testing.

--v2.2.2--
Fixed rings and other non-player objects being able to break spikes just by moving into them. This behavior was a neat effect for rings but it's definitely not intentional.

Fixed Junio Sonic again.

Fixed some issues with bandages like having to charge up his spindash which caused issues with the spindash sound, and other minor annoyances.

Fixed an oversight where rolling would set your player angle instead of draw angle whilst using simple. Simple and Old Analog?? (whenever SRB2 2.2.7 comes out) should now properly use the correct methods for displaying angles while rolling.

--V2.2.1 hotfix--
Fixed a bug where I was dumb and used skins[player.mo.skin].prefcolor instead of player.skincolor making it so that your color online didn't show.

---V2.2---
Fixed unintended speed cap of 70 FU/T that appeared once 2.2 was released, slope acceleration has also been smoothed out. These aren't really noticable changes unless you're looking for them, but it means you'll gain speed even on very gentle slopes and will be able to go the full 120FU/T that you were intended to go as a maximum speed

Fixed Tails Assist becoming unavailable due to an oversight in setting player.mo.dashspeed

Adjusted the way Classic.wad disables thok, now the game checks if you have the thok and only sets your ability to none if that's true. This means you should be able to use more custom abilities with classic.wad.

It turns out Eggman was holding himself back by using a jetpack to propel himself while on the ground, I've given him the ok to use his full running speed on the ground now.

Fixed Silver not gaining speed while rolling down slopes

Fixed Nasya being OP due to stat changes.

De-jankified Amy's hammer leap height cap. She's a bit more broken in certain situations with greater amounts of speed, but she no longer jumps lower the farther above her cap you go.

Removed JunioSonic support

With a lot of help from MOTDSpork, I have recreated dashmode with some modifications because the 2.2.5 patch isn't out yet and who knows when that'll come.
Dashmode now takes 6 seconds of running on the ground to enter, this can be lowered to 1 and a half seconds by collecting more rings. Rings will also boost your acceleration up to 192 . Dashmode now adds a boost to your default speed in addition to any momentum you have. The animations for Metal Sonic's jet fumes were too hard to change and because I'm not using player.dashmode, Neo Sonic won't use those fancy particle effects he gets when entering or leaving dashmode. This will probably be reworked when 2.2.5 releases to use vanilla's dashmode code so that it's compatible with these but I hope you enjoy anyway.

---V2.1---
-Fixed spring animations for good this time. No more walking frames when being launched by a steam vent or carried by a fan.

-Doubled height/speedcap for Amy's hammer jump nerf while super. If that sounds too confusing, she'll now launch way higher when running fast while super.

-Changed spindash revving captions to look cleaner.

----V2.0----
-Updated all characters to use 2.2's new stat set.
Characters all move faster now than they did previously and can all handle slopes properly.

-Increased rolling acceleration

-Made it so that if you're rolling in analog mode, the spin frames now face the direction you're going instead of the direction you're facing.

-Rewrote the entirety of the Spindash code to be more efficient (Thank you Lach for helping on this!)

-Removed redundant features added to vanilla in 2.2, these include:

--CamAdjust, This was added in the form of Cam_Adjust.
I'm very glad that something of mine inspired the devs to implement this feature into the game!

--New Tails AI with functioning flight assist
This was mostly finished but was scrapped at the last minute due to a far superior AI system being implemented in 2.2! This blew what I was working on out of the water!

--FSonic spindash animation
2.2 added the ability for people to easily create their own spindash frames, so I don't need to supply them anymore.

--Reverted spring animation code to previous version
The spring animation at the end of 2.1 wasn't working correctly for all cases, so I've decided to revert it for now and look for a better solution for checking springs in the future.

Download Now

File Type: zip VL_Classic-v2.2.2a.zip (166.5 KB, 272 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-7-fa34fe19d85e.gif
Views:	1450
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	24789   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20625.gif
Views:	1178
Size:	5.82 MB
ID:	24792   Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-7-8291ea284a55.gif
Views:	890
Size:	7.82 MB
ID:	24793   Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-7-ab0179869789.gif
Views:	902
Size:	7.63 MB
ID:	24795   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20626.gif
Views:	687
Size:	6.10 MB
ID:	24796  

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20627.gif
Views:	611
Size:	6.59 MB
ID:	24797  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 06-15-2020   #22
TheCongressman

In the change log, you mentioned scrapping a flight assist because of the new official version making it redundant. But when I use classic.wad, I am not able to use the move. The up icon doesn't even show up. Any idea what is going on there?
TheCongressman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020   #23
0002NiarDneK

How would I apply the "Air Walking" thing on custom characters, or add the custom characters to that part? I tried using Neo Sonic with this, and all but that one part worked.
0002NiarDneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020   #24
0002NiarDneK

Actually, it just seems to be Neo Sonic. Silver, Yoshi and Eggpack air-walk when sprung. Neo Sonic just kinda freezes in the air.

Last edited by 0002NiarDneK; 06-18-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2020   #25
rudestbuster

is there any way i can give the characters their falling animations back? I really like seeing them, and I also like this mod, so I wanted to find a way to have both. I know I could just use the Momentum mod, but I like the changes that this mod has too. I just want to fall in style :D
Old 06-19-2020   #26
0002NiarDneK

New potential issue. Is Amy not effected by the new slope momentum? Because she doesn't seem to gain any extra speed when travelling downhill. I've been looking in the Lua scripts in the file, and it doesn't seem like she's mentioned in that part, unless I'm being blind again.
Old 06-29-2020   #27
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Hey guys! I just updated Classic.wad! This will be the final release for a while unless something major bugs out and I have to release a patch for it. Please check the opening post for the changelog.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020   #28
SpicyHamSamson
Pure of Heart! Dumb of Ass!

Would you be willing to make a version without the Air Walk? I prefer the feeling of this over momentum.wad, but I'm not a fan of the air walk. If it would be too much work, I understand, this is just a minor nitpick.
SpicyHamSamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020   #29
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

There are plans to make that a togglable option later on, but that is not in the cards right now. If you really don't like it, you are free to comment out that specific bit of code in private as long as you don't share it or host with it.

EDIT: HOTFIX UPDATE! on this episode of Rumia Does Dumb Things, I accidentally used skins[player.mo.skin].prefcolor instead of player.skincolor, so while in boostmode it wouldn't return you to your chosen color online.

Last edited by Rumia1; 06-30-2020 at 12:42 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #30
AnonImousse

Give Sonic Elemental Bubble Shield abilities like in Sonic 3 & Knuckles

>Water Shield is a drop double bounce
>Fire Shield is the thok
>Electric shield is the vertical double jump
>Wind shield remains the horizontal double jump

Problems fixed, give me a banana juice.
AnonImousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #31
PencilVoid
Circuit Enthusiast

The Sonic 3 shields are already in the game as seperate shields. They're just unused in the singleplayer campaign
Discord: PencilVoid#4223; Twitter: @pencilvoid / @pencilvoid_art; Pillowfort: PencilVoid
PSO2 ID: 14909977; Username: PencilVoid

May I interest you in the Church of Audie?
PencilVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #32
AnonImousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilVoid View Post
The Sonic 3 shields are already in the game as seperate shields. They're just unused in the singleplayer campaign

And they don't work the same way mechanically, they're only a fire, water, and electric shield by name, what's your point?
AnonImousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #33
Snowy
PersistantRubine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonImousse View Post
And they don't work the same way mechanically, they're only a fire, water, and electric shield by name, what's your point?
They... literally do though. The fire shield is a momentum-thok, the water allows you to bounce repeatedly, and the electric shield has a double-jump. I say this having used all 3 multiple times.

Either research wasn't done or you played a character that disabled shield abilities so they could use their own for the jump-spin.

Edit: OR you're thinking of the main three, which are entirely different shields.
Fire+Water/Elemental Shield, Wind Shield, and Magnet Shield. Those three are not the same as the S3K ones, which are indeed in the game and work properly, despite being only really for modders/extra stages to use.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34
Rotes!
I suck at karting.

Default weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

This happens on my end when your Classic .wad, and Katmint's Comet+Dropdash script are loaded together.
Rotes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #35
SpicyHamSamson
Pure of Heart! Dumb of Ass!

So, now that 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 are out, you can fix how the dash mode works so that characters can have their particles back, right?
SpicyHamSamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #36
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyHamSamson View Post
So, now that 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 are out, you can fix how the dash mode works so that characters can have their particles back, right?
Well... sadly I'm not quite ready to rewrite the changes to boostmode to be compatible with vanilla dashmode, but I have released a bugfix update that fixes some of the issues with it!

View the changelog in the opening post!
Old 1 Week Ago   #37
MalPal

bout to test new version
MalPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #38
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Oops, I left in a snippet of code while testing that changed the spindash sound to one that doesn't work right! I released a quick hotfix, please redownload!