Suggestions

I think this may have been more appropriate in the SRB2Dev Blog, in which SSNTails said to post our ideas for ACZ, but I decided to post it here instead...

I'm thinking this idea could be used for the mine carts, yet I'm not sure it's already been used... When it's moving, maybe at some point along it's path you may have to jump off the mine cart to land in another, otherwise the track may end at a death pit where the mine cart and you go off the track where it's already broken, or the mine cart will continue along without falling into a death pit.

But maybe you're supposed to go off the track, heading for the death pit... and then there could be a ledge/platform which you could jump onto before the mine cart falls into the death pit with you in it!

If the mine cart is a polyobject, I warn you that the level would get scrambled as soon as the mine cart reaches the death pit, as polyobjects can't cross linedefs.

People, polyobjects aren't magic, they give way more flexibility, but don't think that magically you'll be allowed to do everything, OK? It's just moving the vertices. Don't get surprised when you find out that polyobjects move but the flat textures don't :P

Why not make the flats on a polyobject scroll in the same direction and speed as the polyobject, so that the flat textures look more like they're part of the polyobject when it's moving?

The Emerald Token idea isn't very classic. We should have the Starposts as gateways to Special Stages, and LampPosts can be the generic checkpoint. The Emerald Tokens can be replaced with Super Emeralds, with at least one in each Act, and they are very hard to find.

Well... here I go...

freezeplayer [playername/node]

Freeze/unfreeze a player by his node or name. Works only coop mode and Server or Game Admin only.

A frozen player can't move in x,y,z-axis until server unfreezes him; but he can rotate and use say command. If a player has been frozen in midair (e.g. jumping), player won't fall when server unfreezes him, so it'd work like a pause.

Think: You're the server, you've opened a netgame and earned some players, then you say:

<Server> Nobody complete the level until everyone has arrived at end level!!!

But... someone hurries up and is getting close to endlevel, and no token found. So you use freezeplayer command to stop that hurried player until everyone else can complete the level together.

tunes [zero, slot or default]

Works like current tunes command: you type a slot, the current song is changed. But, let's suppose you want default song come back, but you don't know the slotnumber. So you could type:

Code:
tunes default or tunes -1

The default song of level comes back, so you no longer need to know all slots for every levels as before.

seeip [playername/node]

If a player just got out to scape from a ban, you'll be able to his IP though, then you can ban his IP so that he can't get into your netgame again. Server or Game Admin only.

Things can trigger linedef executors. Now add the inverse: linedef executors that can trigger an action in a thing, or deal damage to a thing, or make a new thing, or something. Could be useful to make some complex bosses (with their graphics made of sectors instead of things).

Also, another action for things, that allow them to trigger a linedef executor but of the sector they're on currently.

Multiplayer-only Zones. As in, levels where the two have to work together, Sonic and Tails style, possibled named Puzzle Mode in the 2-Player section. You can restart levels through the pause menu, but you can choose who is Sonic and who is Tails at the start, and can't change back.

Instead of having a monitor special and other special sounds (Invincibility, Speed Shoes, 1UP, Drowning, etc.) totally take over the music and force the track to start over, how about making the main track fade out extremely low, have the sound play, and then fade back in where it continues?

Speaking of music, when someone have invincibilty or speed shoes in a netgame, a sound effect of whatever music you have should come from the player's location, except the player can't hear it. This way, when someone is near someone who has invincibility or speed shoes, they can hear it.

In a completely unrelated note, I think that there should be a different way of movement - the variables for top speed and acceleration instead become variables in an equation for your acceleration based on how long you've been running, the aforementioned variables, and whether or not you're on a slope (Explained later). The equation should eventually go into the negatives, but the engine should just treat this as 0. This was how all the Genesis Sonic games after Sonic 1 worked, and probably how most of the 3D games work.

As for the slope physics thing: a sector would be linked to a linedef, which would be facing in the direction the slope goes down, and the length of the linedef would be the angle the slope's at. This would have more uses than just the equation for the movement.

Change Sonic's running sprites to the figure-8 peelout. You already have the peelout sprites from the intro to the game, just edit out the legs from the current sprite.

Make the credits theme a medley of all the background musics, a la Sonic 1.

Well the stone shoes seems like a good idea in a way, it can weigh and slow down the player. Jump being lower, speed being slower, ability being nerfed in a way. Sonic's thok would arch downward cause of the weight and slow him down somehow, Tails's flying would require faster tapping of the jump key or whatever, Knuckles would arch downward like Sonic's thok, double jump is kinda obvious what would happen, Supersonic float......maybe would act somewhat like the slow fall ability but a bit slower, slow fall itself would be affected in the fall time like gliding is, swimming see fly. Springs would be weaker for the player as well. Spindash would go only half as far or something too.

I suggest a header option called levelpic, or namepic, or something like that. Basically, if it's filled in, it looks for that lump, and if it's found, it shows it instead of/in addition to the level name. It would leave the act number so that you could use the same picture for each act of a zone.

A time limit on the float ability, which would function the same as the flight limit.

Footstep sound effects when running along any surface. In fact, I believe SRB2 once had this; I remember hearing SFX for Sonic running across a bridge in a very old SRB2 trailer. You would have the option to turn this on or off.

Also, sound effects should be stored in a folder similar to music.dta so that they can be fully customized by the player. Speaking of sound effects and music, I would like to have SRB2 be able to play MP3/OGGs in a folder in the SRB2 directory by opening up a list of tunes, and be able to set which numbers play which tracks. Custom levels should also be able to play music by having where the music is located on the computer in the level header(so that so music numbers don't possibly conflict).

We don't need sound effects for running anyway. This game is supposed to be based off the classic Sonic games, isn't it? Neither Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3/& Knuckles or Sonic CD had running sound effects, so does it really matter whether this game does have them? This game isn't going to be full of realistic things and sound effects, you know.

Log folder and one log for each start-up

I have many problem with logs that were overwritten, especially when I need to review something or when I thought of reporting a server. I lose a log mainly when a netgame crashes or something happens making me to restart the game quickly, and then... my last log is overwritten *sigh*

So... I thought of a log folder repository that can be cleaned up manually or via command in console. Every time you start up SRB2 (like now) a log is created with unique namefile with date and time, e.g. log20080524_130358.txt.

I have ideas for the footstep sfx idea. Have an option (in the S_SKIN) to either turn on or off the footsteps, option for changing the footstep sfx, and different sfx for running. that way Metal Sonic wouldn't have the footsteps when hes walking, and tails could make the little flying noise when he runs.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back