Best Games of the Past Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I tried to spring games from memory, I wouldn't be able to make it, although some of the games said here were ones I adored, so I'll second these:

Braid and Portal for amazing introduction to new gameplay elements, one lets you bend time, the other space.

Seconding Spazzo is WarioWare. Not as a game itself but as a series. Definately one of the most memorable, fun and original games of the decade.

RE4 for being loads of fun.

Half Life 2, for revolutionizing FPSes. Since the first day I saw it running, there was never a chance I didn't go for trying to play it. I managed to finally play it for the first time 4 years after it was made, and it was good.

As for best top view shooter? The Embodime-pfffff lolno, Ikaruga.
No shooter has ever made NOT HOLDING the shoot button so important. In this one, you have to choose your shots, and the polarity mechanic is pure genius.

On the RPG side, I have to agree to another poster and say M&L was great, but my favourite is still that one japanese only RPG, Mother 3.

some special mentions go to layton and ace attorney games.
This is bound to editing.

I could praise a few games, but for the sake of not being redundant, I've always adored Pikmin 1 and 2. Brilliant top-down strategy gameplay, and everything I can think of about the games is creatively done.

As for best top view shooter? The Embodime-pfffff lolno, Ikaruga.
No shooter has ever made NOT HOLDING the shoot button so important. In this one, you have to choose your shots, and the polarity mechanic is pure genius.

I actually don't care for EoSD. I like Mystic Square, tHRtP, and pretty much all of the Windows games after EoSD, but something about that game seems kinda lacklustre. I think its just because it is kinda inferior to all of the other touhou games of its generation and that the PC-98 games are fun BECAUSE they are dated.
If I went through and listed a dozen favorites the list would look VERY different, and it would be obvious that I still haven't quite been able to move that rock outta the way... Susano-style. That's why I decided just to choose the historic ones.
I've never played Ikaruga, though if its free I should.... after I finish schoolwork and then my touhou missions and then I guess I gotta play Hellsinker cause Zarro says so, etc. I am kinda curious, how does it discourage bullet-spamming? I stop shooting to queue up enemies in most games and for special tactics in PoFV.

I... could hardly understand half of that post, so I'll just assume it's not there or that it's simply Swahili.
As for Ika, well, as long as you're playing on anything that isn't Easy, enemies will shoot back bullets. In Normal, if you kill an enemy of your same color, he'll shoot back bullets. That's fine and dandy if you intend on staying on that one color, but it makes switching a difficult task, as you need to think when is it appropiate to be of one colour, and which enemies to kill. In hard, every enemy shoots revenge bullets. If you're going for chains, which admittedly isn't as fun IMO, it is the only way to get S ranks and whatnot.

I've really enjoyed Bioshock and Left 4 Dead, but maybe it's just because I'm biased toward any bloody FPS ;D

But MechWarrior 2 was released in 1995!

In all seriousness, isn't there a substantial enough difference between MW2 PC and MW2 X360 for people to draw the line? At least the same kind of people that burst into rage when a multiconsole game has worse online on the Wii (no duh).

Despite being a terrible game, Wii Sports has had the most influence in gaming in the past decade in my opinion. Good games that deserve attention though?

1.) Resident Evil 4
2.) Metroid Prime
3.) Halo 2
4.) Guitar Hero/Rock Band Franchises
5.) Super Smash Bros. Melee
6.) Anything from Valve.
7.) World of Warcraft(Sadly yes...)

Wii Sports wasn't that bad. :p
Speaking of Wii Sports, I might also want to add Wii Sports Resort. Which expanded the motion to a more precise machine.

Wii Sports entertained non-gamers who felt like trying something new for an hour or two, so it did its job. Its job wasn't to be full of depth and strategy.

I have to agree with all the notions about GTA3. A lot of people didn't even think about getting PS2s until they saw a 3D GTA in the works for it. And it seemed that the younger you were, the more you wanted to play it. (with that said, I was only ten at the time. <3)

No. A lot of people didn't even think about getting PS2s until they saw the trailers for MGS2. That game singlehandedly ended the dreamcast.

MW2. Nuff said.

I hope that's a joke; otherwise I have to wonder what made you come to that conclusion. MW2 is - and there's no better way to say this - a pile of unbalanced, buggy shit.

CoD4, on the other hand... that's deserving of all of its praise.

On topic, TrackMania, obviously, for me. No other game has kept me held in in its little world as long as TM has.

Luigi's mansion
Pikmin
Super smash bros. Melee
Super smash bros. Brawl
Halo 1
Halo 2
Jet set radio Future
Fable
Time Splitters 2
Time Splitters: Future Perfect
Team Fortress 2
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Sonic Rush
Sonic Advanced 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Dead Or Alive 3
Mario Kart Wii
Resident Evil 4
Dragon ball Z Budokai
Dragon ball Z Budoaki Tenkaichi 3
Naruto: Clash of Ninja revolution 3
Naruto: Clash Of Ninja 4
Metroid Prime
The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker

and more?

My best games:

Prince of persia
Dragonball z burst limit
Iron man 2
DJ hero
Spider man web of shadows
Ultimate alliance 2

That's all those games are the best.

Last edited:
My best from 2000-2009 where:

Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2142
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Halo
Sonic Heroes
New Super Mario Brothers Wii
Call of Duty: World at War (Nazi zombies mode is awsome)
and more i just can't remember right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back