Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the water's light level to 144. Any higher and it wouldn't look right unless using Opengl. At least in my eyes.
I'm EXTREMELY skeptical of your judgment. The light level of the water in Drowned Downtown Zone is 160, and that level is supposed to be darker than the sort of level you're trying to make here.

Could you do me a favor? Show me two screenshots: one with the light level at 144 and one with the light level at 192. Then I'll tell you if I agree with your statement that 144 is the maximum level that would look right.

I'm EXTREMELY skeptical of your judgment. The light level of the water in Drowned Downtown Zone is 160, and that level is supposed to be darker than the sort of level you're trying to make here.

Could you do me a favor? Show me two screenshots: one with the light level at 144 and one with the light level at 192. Then I'll tell you if I agree with your statement that 144 is the maximum level that would look right.

Well keep in mind that I'm not only using a blue color map, but a blue texture too.

I'll grab those pictures later when I get back on my PC. (Currently Using a College Mac)

EDIT:
I just took a look at my screen shot on the mac and it is darker than my pc's Settings.128 is too dark, at least for these settings.

Double Edit: Now seeing where you're coming from I think we need to reach a compromise.
srb20045-1.png
Light level 144
srb20047-1.png
light level 192

Last edited:
srb20404.png

You know, something ain't quite right here...

(And I swear, progress on this is so slow :P)

So, I am entering match again, with another greenery level.

Midnight Park Zone:
srb20318.png

srb20310.png

srb20311.png

This is yet another remake of a old level 1.09.4 of mine that was never released, the orignal one was much smaller, and had no weapon rings in it. I still need to add in flowers and stuff, but other then that it is pretty much done.

I spit in the face of people who think fire shouldn't touch ice.

INTRODUCING FREEZING FLAME ZONE

srb20174.png

The main room, where fire and ice meet.

srb20178.png

Another view of the same room.

srb20176.png

The first room you enter in the red base, when you take the lower path.

srb20175.png

Go left to find this room, which reconnects to the main room for a split-second.

srb20177.png

To your right, you'll find the flag room. The rocks lead to the highest part of the main room.

(The ice side obviously looks just like this, except more blue. Can you guess which side the red base is on?)

Last edited:
I'm assuming the Ice water will do damage?

If it doesn't, wouldn't it be a bit unfair if the red side has loads of self-inflicted damage areas. And the blue side doesn't?

Yeah, I'm probably not gonna finish my map for this deadline. I'll just let it rollover to a later one.

no comment on the light level comparison? Well I guess I can go back to 144.

in other news, a new path is being constructed that did not exist in the TGF version.
srb20048-1.png

srb20049-1.png

Knockout: Looks very pretty.
I like the little details and how you make it feel like an actual park, to some extent.
Those little rocky hills look weird and the level needs more texture variation on the walls, though.

Glaber: That looks horribly empty.
Not only is there pretty much nothing in there, it's very wide, there's pretty much no texture variation, and the sky doesn't fit with the theme you're trying to make -- and neither does THZROCK.

Hmm. Hard to call on this. But then again SRB2 didn't deviate from the TGF tiles until Techno Hill act 2. The Sky in use here is similar to what was used in the TGF version. As is THZROCK seeing as there is no EHZ varient.

The emptyness can be explained by how early it still is in construction. I still have parts that still need water. I wouldn't expect this map for at least another contest

Why don't you add a bit more detail than was actually in the TGF version? 2D transition into 3D wouldn't work that well otherwise. Add some ridges and depressions and things like that in the ground. Don't make it entirely pools.

A couple pictures from my new level, Sky Garden.
Maybe if I'm lucky I'll actually finish this level.
Pictures are taken from two different perspectives.
j7x0qo.jpg

2823vpk.jpg

As it's the half-way point, and it is about now when people start to take an interest in the competition, I figured now would be a good time to post some screen shots of my WIP map, Metropolis Sprint Zone.

Broken highways 'n' roadblock signs, don't fall!

srb20092.png

Streetlights, skywalks 'n' snailers, oh my.

srb20093.png

Feels a little empty. Add more stuff like planters and trees and things like that, perhaps some street signs. Ooh, and a subway station. We don't get much of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back