SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Levels (2.0.X)

Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad) Details »»
Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)
Version: 9.0, by Fawfulfan (The Tortured Planet guy) Fawfulfan is offline
Developer Last Online: Apr 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (82 votes - 4.02 average)
Released: 03-19-2010 Last Update: 07-07-2012 Favourites: 52
Single Player Levels Multiplayer Levels SOCs Sprites/Graphics

I know some of you have been waiting for this. You've been waiting for far too long. I've been so focused on other projects, and putting the finishing touches on this was an incredibly low priority for me. But I figured I might as well get it out there, for those of you who want it.

I'm probably not representing this update too well; the truth is, v9 is a huge change. All the levels have undergone massive renovation, plus there's custom music now, courtesy of Charybdizs.

Remember, there is a separate file for music. It's too big to upload here, so I'm providing mirrors.

I'd like to thank everyone who both loved and hated this mod...this community has really helped me on my quest to become a professional game designer. I hope you enjoy it.

Spoiler: changelog
Beta 1: The first demo of this mod. Just included Sunshine Atoll Zone and all the boss battles.

Beta 2: Eruption Conduit Zone and Drowned Downtown Zone have been added, plus a lot of renovations to most of the levels already in the pack!

Beta 3: Snowcap Nimbus Zone and Gritty Columns Zone have been added, plus some more renovations to existing levels. Notably, a new path has been created in SAZ1!

Final Demo: Fume Shaft Zone and Liftoff Gantry Zone have been added. Several of the boss battles have been improved, some drastically overhauled. And a few levels have been tweaked a bit.

Version 1.0: Now we're getting somewhere! Here's a list of the most significant new features:

-Complete Single Player Campaign. The levels are still in a pretty crude shape right now, and they will be improved later, but they're all there!

-Full Coop Support, and Coop-friendly alternate routes in some levels.

-Gamedata and saving capabilities.

-Emblem Hunt! There are 54 emblems in Tortured Planet right now (the Statistics page in the game says 56, but it's counting the secret emblems, which I have not added). One for each player in each of the first two acts of every zone, just like in the official level set. Be aware that the emblem locations are not necessarily permanent--some of the emblems have a somewhat crude placement, especially the ones for Knuckles. Later versions might have emblems which are hidden more creatively.

-A special intro cutscene, replacing the official intro, which explains the back story of Tortured Planet (I already explain it in this topic, but it's nice to have a reference in the mod itself).

-SIGNIFICANT changes to Sunshine Atoll Zone Acts 1 and 2. I'm not telling you what they are; you have to play to find out. However, you'll see many of them from the moment you load up the level.

-General bugfixing throughout the game.

Version 1.1: A hasty bugfix for v1.0.

Version 1.2: A hasty bugfix for v1.1.

Version 2.0: The Match levels have been made, and a few more minor graphical and gameplay bugs have been fixed.

Version 3.0: With the exception of Star Showdown Zone, literally every single map in the entire game has been overhauled at least somewhat (it's not apparent in some of the boss battles, but yes, I did make at least some really minor changes to all of them, too!) The Match levels, though still hardly top-notch material, have had many of their most glaring flaws corrected. And as for the Single Player levels, many of them have been totally transformed. You'll see more texture variation, more path splits, more new gimmicks, new areas, more secrets, and a general reduction in bugs. In addition, I followed a lot of the advice that has been given to me on improving the levels, so you'll see some of your wishes come true!

There is going to be a v4.0, but this should certainly tide you over until then.

Version 3.1: WHOOPS! V3.0 had a couple of problematic bugs...they've been fixed now.

Version 4.0: This update is pretty much as big as 3.0 was. Practically every level has been updated in some way, and many of them have significant new areas, gimmicks, and glitch removal. Also, new cutscenes have been added for the beginning of each zone!

Version 4.1: Bugfix.

Version 5.0: The most massive update yet. Most levels have been improved, some enormously expanded. ECZ1 was scrapped and remade entirely. Sunshine Atoll, Fume Shaft, Liftoff Gantry, and Spacewalk all have lots of new custom textures, and Gritty Columns now takes full advantage of the DSZ set. The boss battles have been revamped, the biggest changes occurring in Fume Shaft 3 and Star Showdown. There are loads more changes that you should also be on the lookout for!

Version 5.1: Critical bugfix (a pattern emerges).

Version 5.2: Son of critical bugfix.

Version 5.3: Good grief, another bugfix!

Version 6.0: This update puts 5.0 to shame. It features level improvements just as expansive, plus new secrets and unlockables. There is now a purpose to collecting the emblems and the Chaos Emeralds. Music has been changed in places, too. The levels themselves feature mostly visual improvements, but there are also some new or modified gimmicks and challenges to watch out for, as well as one or two new path splits.

Version 6.1: The mandatory hasty bugfix. This contains a lot of little fixes, instead of just the usual one or two.

Version 6.2: Actually, this one's got a little more than just bugfixes. It also features some minor graphical improvements to GCZ, and Weightless Whaling Zone has been optimized somewhat.

Version 6.3: All previous updates have either been large-scale transformations or tiny bugfixes. This is the first one to be somewhere in between. Version 6.3 features a whole slew of bugfixes, plus substantial changes to the first three zones!

Version 6.4: A couple of bugfixes, improvements to SAZ1 and ECZ, and optimization.

Version 6.4.1: Infinitesimal tweaking of SAZ.

Version 7.0: Sorry, but here's where the trend stops. v7.0 is nowhere near as expansive an improvement as v6.0. But there's still a fair amount of new stuff. The biggest change is the addition of the Tortured Archives, an unlockable blast-from-the-past that will allow you to play Tortured Planet as it was in Version 1.2, pretty much the first stable and complete version of the pack. Of course, v7.0 levels beat the hell out of v1.2 levels, but perhaps a playthrough of the pack at its worst will help you appreciate how far Tortured Planet has come. Besides Tortured Archives, you'll also find an even better Sunshine Atoll Zone, plus scattered bugfixes.

Version 7.0.1: Correction to the MAINCFG lump.

Version 7.1: Minor bugfixes, improvements, and optimization of ECZ2, SNZ1, and GCZ1.

Version 8.0: Significant improvement of ECZ, DDZ, and SNZ, moderate improvement of GCZ and LGZ, and small adjustments to SAZ, FSZ, and SWZ.

Version 8.1: FSZ2 was previously riddled with bugs. Well, not anymore!

Version 8.1.1: Hasty tweak of DDZ2.

Version 8.2: A bunch of bugfixes and optimization.

Version 8.3: Improvement to FSZ2, slight changes to ECZ1, and some assorted bugfixes.

Version 8.4: More bugfixes for FSZ2.

Version 9.0: The mother of all improvements, and probably the last one I'll do, unless I decide to create a 2.1-compatible version when the time comes. Every level has undergone tremendous changes, including scenery updates, gimmick updates, and hundreds upon hundreds of glitches fixed.

Also, Spacewalk Zone is now 100% optional. Those few players who still want to brave this monument to wasted effort can still do so, and the remaining 99.9% can simply jump on the SKIP pad at the very start of the level to take them straight to AAZ.

Finally, of course, there's Charybdizs's music. You'll have to download a separate file, but it's definitely worth it...particularly since the levels are silent without it!

The Story:

After Sonic and company beat Dr. Eggman in Final Fight Zone, the evil scientist fled to another planet, taking the few functional robots he had left with him. Sonic and his friends felt they needed a good, long vacation, and went to Sunshine Atoll Zone for a few months of sun and surf.

But a few weeks into their vacation, EGGMAN ATTACKED AGAIN!

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles managed to escape to the other side of the island unharmed, but they were seriously confused. How had Eggman managed to return so quickly?

After spying on some robots, Sonic discovered the answer: the planet Eggman had fled to was rich in natural resources--and was home to a peaceable but strong alien race which Eggman had enslaved to reconstruct his evil schemes.

Well, the three of them had to do something. This alien planet desperately needed their help--and what was more, now that Dr. Eggman was powerful again, he was also taking over Mobius! Will Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles EVER get to finish their vacation?

Downloads:

MUSIC MIRROR:
http://miburl.com/i12LBS

Download Now

File Type: rar scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.rar (15.02 MB, 8381 views)
File Type: rar TP_Music.part1.rar (23.84 MB, 6119 views)
File Type: rar TP_Music.part2.rar (15.67 MB, 5809 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	saz.jpg
Views:	7591
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	895   Click image for larger version

Name:	ecz.jpg
Views:	7402
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	896   Click image for larger version

Name:	ddz.jpg
Views:	6858
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	897   Click image for larger version

Name:	snz.jpg
Views:	7052
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	898   Click image for larger version

Name:	gcz.jpg
Views:	7632
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	899  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fsz.jpg
Views:	4520
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	900   Click image for larger version

Name:	lgz.jpg
Views:	4227
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	901   Click image for larger version

Name:	sz.jpg
Views:	6915
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	902   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaz.jpg
Views:	6646
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	903  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 05-03-2010   #182
Kyasarin

How are players going to have any idea as to Tails's Emblem location if you get it only by chance?
Old 05-03-2010   #183
MascaraSnake
Retired

Yeah, Tails' emblem shouldn't be in there if you can only get it by chance. Also, why isn't Sonic able to access it? I think the room needs some work on the visuals, as well, it looks quite plain. Out of curiosity, how did you make this machine?
Old 05-03-2010   #184
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

I actually will make it accessible as Sonic. I don't know what I was thinking. But I'm keeping Tails's emblem there because it's still a more clever hiding place than its previous location. I'll also find a better place for Tails's emblem, too...the grand prize will actually be a 5-up.

It was very difficult to figure out how to make a machine that randomly executes 1 of 9 linedef executors. Here's how I did it. I had nine up-and-down moving FOFs under the "?" switch, each of which move at different speeds, and each of which has its highest point equal to the height of the floor. Then, I set it so that each one of them triggers a linedef executor that opens one of the doors, lowers the floor height of the switch, and disables the other eight linedef executors.

Last edited by Fawfulfan; 05-03-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2010   #185
The Dark Wolf
Sarnak

The moment I think I have made my statement, my mind betrays me. I hate how I unintentionally pick apart plots like I have with this one. All that I will actually voice of these is that I could fit twelve Boeing 747s in just one of the holes. I do not know if there is enough creativity in all of existance to fill them. I am honestly sorry about this, but many things occur that I could rant on every level the way I did about Space Walk Zone. The plot of this Level set is just that bad. I'm not talking levels here, just that the story is SHIT. I am talking to the point of having to chain my self to my chair to force myself to not break my computer. Sorry, nothing personal, just standards setting their evil little claws into something that takes a lot of suspension of disbelief.
Old 05-03-2010   #186
.Henix.
Might be making content.

It might be helpful to have a mirror. Just saying.
Old 05-04-2010   #187
MascaraSnake
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf View Post
The moment I think I have made my statement, my mind betrays me. I hate how I unintentionally pick apart plots like I have with this one. All that I will actually voice of these is that I could fit twelve Boeing 747s in just one of the holes. I do not know if there is enough creativity in all of existance to fill them. I am honestly sorry about this, but many things occur that I could rant on every level the way I did about Space Walk Zone. The plot of this Level set is just that bad. I'm not talking levels here, just that the story is SHIT. I am talking to the point of having to chain my self to my chair to force myself to not break my computer. Sorry, nothing personal, just standards setting their evil little claws into something that takes a lot of suspension of disbelief.
You could do it like the rest of use and not care about the story. Alternatively, you could make suggestions to improve it.
Old 05-04-2010   #188
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

I have just begun the long, arduous process of improving the worst zone in the pack--Spacewalk Zone. I doubt that this level is ever going to be anything near the highlight of this mod, but I guarantee that it won't suck as much as it did.

In coming packs after v3.0, SZ is probably going to be one of my primary focuses for further improvement, as well.

Last edited by Fawfulfan; 05-04-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2010   #189
The Dark Wolf
Sarnak

I tried to give my list, something about my machine is wrong. I will try again at a latter date.
Old 05-05-2010   #190
.Henix.
Might be making content.

I like the ? button area. It's fairly neat.
Old 05-09-2010   #191
metalsonicmk72

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawfulfan View Post
I have just begun the long, arduous process of improving the worst zone in the pack--Spacewalk Zone. I doubt that this level is ever going to be anything near the highlight of this mod, but I guarantee that it won't suck as much as it did.
Personally, I feel that Spacewalk needs to be MUCH SHORTER. Act 1 should not take 6-8 minutes like it currently does. Long levels are okay as long as they are fun, but the problem is these acts drag on forever and are too repetitive to be both lengthy and enjoyable. Act 2 needs the gravity shift sigsev issue that I pointed out several times addressed and should also not last 8-10 minutes like it currently does...
Old 05-10-2010   #192
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

I currently do not have plans to make Spacewalk Zone shorter, but I won't rule out that possibility for future versions. What I have done is increase path splits, texture variation, Coop-friendliness, and hidden secrets. I also removed the PolyObjects in SZ1, made the asteroid belts in SZ2 a bit less ugly, and generally reduced glitches.

I also did something that I hope fixed the SIGSEGV problem in SZ2, but, due to the fact that I have never experienced that problem myself, I have no idea as of now whether it actually worked or not.

Spacewalk Zone is probably still the worst zone in the pack (especially considering that every other zone has been overhauled as well), but I think you guys will notice some definite improvements when you play the new version.

I've moved on to Alien Armageddon Zone. I'm already working on giving it better textures, a reduction in rock spawners, more secrets, less crampedness, and possibly a few path splits. V3.0 is getting close to its release!
Old 05-11-2010   #193
The Dark Wolf
Sarnak

I'm aware of the segsev problem in act two of SWZ, after having experienced it my self multiple times (and making a highly uncalled for remake in rage induced after the issue had eaten away two weeks worth of evenings). The best I can describe the location is:
after the room with the death ceiling and the floor full of holes, through the hall and up the springs, if you try to jump on to the underside of the first piece of 'satellite framework' while the gravity is reversed, the problem occurs, and the game crashes (This is from what I sough in third person view, not in first person view).
Old 05-12-2010   #194
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

Okay...V3.0 is out! Hooray!
Old 05-12-2010   #195
Alex2608

The SIGSEGV problem in SZ2 is finally fixed. But however I cant get past LGZ2 because just after checkpoint near the "chance" room I become stuck (i think it is a teleporter that doesn't work)

As for the chance room It was fun. The first time it gave me invincibility, but the second time it gave me the nasty Sharp. I hope you will fix this problem since this zone is my favorite in your map pack
Old 05-12-2010   #196
SonicX8000
Graphic & Sprite Modder.
Judge

---
The lag issues here in FSZ1 still exist, and I think I already mentioned this before.

If you do this... (By lowering the poisoned water so the fans won't make bubbles appear, which IS causing the lag in the first place...)

---
The lag issues here will be gone, but it's still there, but not really much, which is suitable to work with, but can I ask why you have 2+ areas having the same Tag? (The Tag # would be 14.)

Last edited by SonicX8000; 05-12-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-12-2010   #197
metalsonicmk72

So I was going through Alien Armageddon Zone Act 1 and the underwater segments are really cheap. You placed No Air Bubble Spawning Objects in at all, except for one in a place it is not necessary to be in. You probably didn't put them in to add to the challenge, but I mean C'mon... Underwater segments need air bubbles if you even want to give the average SRB2 gamer a chance at making it through the level...

Also, the first spinning chain needs to be rotating on its own because if you were to let go and fail to get up the ledge and the chain stops 'upside down' you can't reach it and need to reset the level. The second spinning chain spins WAY TOO FAST, which leads me to believe you're TRYING to make us all suffer from motion sickness. The third chain that moves back and forth moves too fast also (especially in comparison to the ones used in Castle Eggman Zone Acts 1 & 2), if you miss it when trying to grab it, you die. It is a pain to try to grab something that moves faster than it needs to be...

Alien Armageddon Act 2 has some terrible points as well. The Blue floor has returned from SWZ...why? They don't even make any sense. Why should you die by jumping over them? Care to explain how this is even physically possible in a level like this? My opinion is that they need to become just bottomless pits for AAZ2...

Last edited by metalsonicmk72; 05-12-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Left out important Criticism
Old 05-13-2010   #198
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2608 View Post
The SIGSEGV problem in SZ2 is finally fixed. But however I cant get past LGZ2 because just after checkpoint near the "chance" room I become stuck (i think it is a teleporter that doesn't work)
Oh, man! Sorry about that! Fix'd.
Old 05-13-2010   #199
ZX
Now 100% less jaded!

Oh yeah, I played this a while ago... couple weeks? Not sure...

Anyways, I played up to that sunken city level and I have to say, it was enjoyable, despite the underwater areas there being impossibly dark and difficult to navigate...

However, some of the stages along the way were... very easy to get through, despite obstacles and gimmicks. I really found it boring after a while because it doesn't really present a challenge (to me, anyways.)

But all in all, it's not a bad pack. I just hope the level(s) you'll add to it have some difficulty in their design.
Old 05-13-2010   #200
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonicmk72 View Post
The third chain that moves back and forth moves too fast also (especially in comparison to the ones used in Castle Eggman Zone Acts 1 & 2), if you miss it when trying to grab it, you die. It is a pain to try to grab something that moves faster than it needs to be...
Okay, two things. First of all, it does need to be that fast. If it were any slower, the maximum swing point wouldn't be the top of the platform, so you'd be in the awkward position of having to blindly jump off the platform and hope you grab it. Second of all, there's a reason that the new version changes the lava in that section from deadly to damaging...so that even if you miss the chain and fall, you can still recover and get back. There's even a 1-up somewhere down there, if you are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX View Post
However, some of the stages along the way were... very easy to get through, despite obstacles and gimmicks. I really found it boring after a while because it doesn't really present a challenge (to me, anyways.)
If you only played up to the third Zone, how do you expect there to be a lot of challenge? Later levels get harder.
Old 05-13-2010   #201
MascaraSnake
Retired

Quote:
So I was going through Alien Armageddon Zone Act 1 and the underwater segments are really cheap. You placed No Air Bubble Spawning Objects in at all, except for one in a place it is not necessary to be in. You probably didn't put them in to add to the challenge, but I mean C'mon... Underwater segments need air bubbles if you even want to give the average SRB2 gamer a chance at making it through the level...
You do know it's the last zone in this mod? Also, it is very easy to go through for me, because they are perfectly timed.

Quote:
Alien Armageddon Act 2 has some terrible points as well. The Blue floor has returned from SWZ...why? They don't even make any sense. Why should you die by jumping over them? Care to explain how this is even physically possible in a level like this? My opinion is that they need to become just bottomless pits for AAZ2...
Since when does logic apply to Sonic games? Also, if they were bottomless pits, the challenge would be completely taken away.

In other regards, I'm currently playing through, and I'm impressed at some points, disappointed at others. But I didn't expect you to fix everything at once, so all in all it's a great improvement. The first five zones are much better now, but the rest is still pretty much like it used to be. Long review coming later.