Questions Regarding Sonic Team Junior's History

Status
Not open for further replies.
A nod to BMZ somewhere(even if it's reusing the level geometry that existed in 2.0.x but with different textures) would really be appreciated.

cI9LEmk.png

Does this count? It's in the same room as an emerald token, and anyone doing a thorough search of the map for secrets would probably find it.

Hm. I remember stumbling upon that room while searching for an emblem. Needless to say I was confused...

Anyway, question for SSNTails, what is your opinion on the new stages, like the reworked THZ Act 2, or the new Egg Rock Core. Also, have you yourself had any thoughts ever of porting SRB2 to a new engine, like Source or anything else?

Ooh, the new area in RVZ (2.1.7; replaces the room we've been chatting about) is really cool. Well done. You really should move one of the emblems there, it's a perfect spot. It would be a much better reward than an emerald token.

Anyway, question for SSNTails, what is your opinion on the new stages, like the reworked THZ Act 2, or the new Egg Rock Core. Also, have you yourself had any thoughts ever of porting SRB2 to a new engine, like Source or anything else?

THZ Act 2 is amazing Nev3r as usual, but it's way, way WAY too long for the second act of the second zone. I'd try to identify the boring empty bits and kill those parts, and try to distill it down some more to involve more action and less running.
As for Egg Rock Core, what's to say? It's a boss arena.

Yes, I've thought about porting SRB2 to a new engine many a time, especially since people used to constantly beat me over the head about it. I think doing so would throw the game's art direction all out of whack, and probably require massive parts of the game to be remade. Then you get stuck in 'engine test land', where nothing substantive has been made, ala Sonic GDK, and countless other 3D Sonic fan games.

The new version of that hidden path is pretty interesting, though I'm not sure which version I prefer. The old version seemed more like a cool hidden secret area and the bright sky made went nicely against the textures to create a major contrast from the atmosphere of most of the level. The new version feels more like an alternative path, which is weird since the only way you can access it without losing rings (as far as I know) is either acquire the flame-bubble shield from near the end of the stage or do some insanely careful flying with Tails.

No, you can get in without losing rings as Sonic too. You just have to be quick (and a bit lucky). Get any shield (like the Attraction Shield located right before the area) and if you're fast enough you can reach the area before the mercy invincibility from losing the shield wears off.

Yes, I've thought about porting SRB2 to a new engine many a time, especially since people used to constantly beat me over the head about it. I think doing so would throw the game's art direction all out of whack, and probably require massive parts of the game to be remade. Then you get stuck in 'engine test land', where nothing substantive has been made, ala Sonic GDK, and countless other 3D Sonic fan games.

This a million times over.

I'm pretty sure it was you who said this in 2.0's development. We're making a game, not an engine.

While, to an extent, some of that isn't completely true (See: Lua), it's still designed within the context of the game itself and we aren't expanding the engine to adapt to such modifications. Typically, we add what we need instead of what could be cool inside the engine.

It's what's kept game content coming instead of new engine builds each release. We're way better off for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back