• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Botanic Serenity Version 2 in 0 days! UPDATE: 9/16/2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digiku

But will it actually happen today?

bszv2_checklist.png

Personally, my bets are on "no", but hey: you never know! ;)

But yes, you heard me: there's going to be a Botanic Serenity Version 2. Here are your two reasons why. Respectively, NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is coming relatively soon, and I wanted to show the nightsintodreams.com community the BSZ game for a while, now. I thought that JoD being released would be a perfect opportunity to show the community there (and if my other party doesn't mind!)

Also because this is primarily for the nid.com community, this is going to be a standalone release. BSZv2 is no longer a wadfile mod.

That being said, I have a few things to address:

1. Screenshots: The first column is from BSZv1 for comparison, and the second is from BSZv2.

bszv2_1_v1.png
bszv2_1_v2.png

bszv2_2_v1.png
bszv2_2_v2.png

BSZv2 sports a new decoration design. See, the main framerate culprits (especially in High-End) are these "linedef flowers" sprinkled among the Thing flowers, or structures of four linedefs with their "Main" textures set to flower textures. They were placed to bypass the NiGHTS draw distance so the player always sees flowers. This is changed in BSZv2 to use floor textures, instead. By theory, they should be faster. You can also see more "flowers" in the distance, too! (See second row, right screenshot.)

The main focus in BSZv2 is improving the performance (if I even can,) hence this one example of a change.

2. "Why don't you make a new level instead?" Simple: lack of time. Decision-making is the most time-consuming part of making maps for me, and to design an entirely new level is not within my schedule. Doing these maintenance things in an already more-or-less complete level is way easier.

3. Requests. What would you like to see in BSZv2? Any new content or any fixed details? The list in the beginning of this post is my current "to-do" list. Some things may not be possible, but then some other things just may be! Some other things I have in mind:
  • Make the secret boss follow the NiGHTS track.
  • Add one-sided linedef columns. They may have a place even in High-End.
  • Revise enemy placement in the secret levels.
  • Make Mid-End and Low-End architectures simpler. Since I have more energy to focus on those, now, maybe more can be done.

Feel free to reply if you have any requests or suggestions of your own. :)

UPDATE: 9/16/2007 - New screenshots!
See the latest post here.

3. Requests. What would you like to see in BSZv2? The list in the beginning of this post is my current "to-do" list. Some things may not be possible, but then some other things just may be!

Eggman the Gardener as a secret. ;)

In all seriousness, this came as a pleasant surprise to me. I'd love to see this completed.

sticky plz

I've been WAITING for this. Although I don't have any suggestions (because it feels as though you have pretty much everything covered), I'm hoping this will actually be completed; even though your own bets are on "no".

Actually, I said "no" as in "this thing isn't going to be released in '0 days'." :)

This thing is getting completed. Since I missed August 20th (BSZ's anniversary, btw,) I want to aim by October.

You have won 2 internets, 273 lan connections, and an ISP!
Seriously, I can't wait. October, eh? I'll upgrade my pc in anticipation! (Well probably not, but....)

I have a request! I'd like BSZ to run at a playable framerate, please :).
I was actually optimizing one of DW's maps a while back, and I noticed shaving extra linedefs to make stuff "low poly" actually helps a substantial amount. Don't know if you'd be willing to do this, however.

Why did you even wrote everything down on a png image...?

Well if I knew how to, I would be glad to make a Program Launcher, much like the one Blaze the Hedgehog did with MMF for his old SRB2 Adventure mod back in the 1.08 days. I think I'll go look for some tutorial again.

Erm, Digiku, when you say "no longer a wadfile mod", are you going to be stripping out the excess stuff in SRB2? For instance, textures or sprites that aren't used in Botanic Serenity seem like excess filesize.

DashFox2007 said:
Dang, I've got some competition now!

EGOEGOEGOEGOEGOEGOEGOEGOEGOEGOEGOEGOEGOEGOEGO

Anyway, this mod is WAY beyond what you can even comprehend. Sorry. (Also, it's a bit rude to talk about yourself (or compare yourself) when something is concentrated around another person)

Dash, no offense, but BSZ is the sort of level that you can't compete with. It will always be the one and only BSZ.

Requests? I'd like to see the multimare level(s?) have a different theme. Like Factory/Techno/Underwater/Snow/Lava...

I'd like new hiding spots for all the secrets.

Secrets that don't suffer from the draw distance. (seriously, an emblem that is in the middle that you can't see because of the draw distance can cause alot of stress.)

Make the remade boss run on Sonic's axis he is not unreachable 95% of the time.

And some NiGHTS easter eggs would be nice too.

Oh pish posh. I talk about BSZ all the time, and I think it's getting to the point where I have the big ego. :)

Spazzo said:
Eggman the Gardener as a secret. ;)
Now you know that's not going to happen. ;) (I did set Boss 2 to use the flower seed object, though. It was really awesome to see, honestly!)

Shuffle said:
I have a request! I'd like BSZ to run at a playable framerate, please :).
I was actually optimizing one of DW's maps a while back, and I noticed shaving extra linedefs to make stuff "low poly" actually helps a substantial amount. Don't know if you'd be willing to do this, however.
Yeah, I actually think High-End without the linedef flowers plays pretty comparably to Mid-End right now. I'm thinking about an old test I did long ago.

And yeah, I'm thinking of making stuff "low poly" here as well, and that's a definite with the lighter two versions. That's actually the reason why I say I have more energy to do things: I can channel a good lot of it on making the geometry simpler.

CZ64 said:
Why did you even wrote everything down on a png image...?
That's a screenshot from my to-do list. Originally, I wanted to use checkbox graphics as the bullets, but having recently switched to OpenOffice from Microsoft Office (no money, boo hoo), I didn't want to bother with figuring it all out.

CZ64 said:
Well if I knew how to, I would be glad to make a Program Launcher, much like the one Blaze the Hedgehog did with MMF for his old SRB2 Adventure mod back in the 1.08 days. I think I'll go look for some tutorial again.
Don't sweat it. The launcher is actually a great way for me to learn the Windows API. :)

BZ4 said:
Erm, Digiku, when you say "no longer a wadfile mod", are you going to be stripping out the excess stuff in SRB2? For instance, textures or sprites that aren't used in Botanic Serenity seem like excess filesize.
Yeah, the unused stuff will be stripped. BSZv2 will effectively be a working SRB2 package on its own, due to the focus of the release being on nid.com (hopefully if my other party doesn't mind!)

JEV3 said:
Secrets that don't suffer from the draw distance. (seriously, an emblem that is in the middle that you can't see because of the draw distance can cause alot of stress.)
I'll get on that. Actually I had some emblem markers in place, but I never finished with that. Furthermore, I think the fun factor should far outweigh any frustrations made from emblem hunting, so I'm not too concerned about how much easier the emblem hunt will be made.

Maybe I will bother to find all the secerts in V2!

Anyways, keep up the great work. This looks very nice.

I was just kidding, my ego isn't very big at all, I didn't seriously mean that, I'm sorry if I offended you Digiku.

I'm looking forward to seeing SRB2's greatest NiGHTs level get an upgrade. (:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back