[Open Assets] SRB2 Launcher - startSRB2 2.1.2 with dedicated server tools!

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Shardvexz

Cosmophile on IRC/Discord
A lot of people have asked me to update my launcher for SRB2 2.1. So here it is!

I'm releasing startSRB2 version 2.1.2. Finally, the beta stage is over! Please let me know if you have any problems or find any bugs.

This launcher has more features than all of the other launchers you've seen. I created it using Microsoft Visual C#.

This time I released it with the source code. Enjoy!

What's new in startSRB2 v2.1.2:
  • Updated for SRB2 2.1!
  • Changed the Forceskin option to allow choosing what skin to force.
  • When you drag and drop a folder into the list, it now recognizes and adds files with the .lua extension
  • The launcher will now remember your settings and automatically load them the next time you run it
  • Got rid of some useless options that nobody uses.
  • Added all of SRB2 2.1's gametypes.
  • Added a clear button to the "add files" tab
  • Joining your dedicated server is fixed
  • Now it supports all of SRB2 2.1's player colors, like Black, Rosewood, and Zim!
  • Now when you add files it recognizes the .lua extension
  • Removed the CD music option! (STJr is getting rid of it)
  • Removed the recording demo feature, as it was not working with SRB2 2.1. It will be fixed and added again in a future version.
  • Removed various other things that do not work with SRB2 2.1.
  • More stuff has been added to the menus, including a feature that allows you to save list to text file, and reload it.
  • Various other little tweaks and bugfixes

Requirements:
  • Windows
  • .NET Framework 4.0 or higher.

Current Features:
  • All of the features that the official launcher has
  • The launcher will remember your settings and automatically load them the next time you run it
  • Ability to warp to maps by using their in-game numbering system (e.g A1 for 101; the first level of Mystic Realm)
  • You can save and load all the launcher settings to a file
  • You can create batch files (.bat) from your settings
  • You can create and join a dedicated server
  • You can set the server name and admin password from the host menu
  • You can make SRB2 output its console to a command prompt window
  • You can change the order of the file list which subsequently changes the order they're loaded in SRB2
  • You can add and remove multiple custom files (wads etc) simultaneously
  • You can run SRB2 and add files from other directories (so if SRB2 is in your documents and there's a file on your desktop you want to use, it won't crash!)
  • You can drag and drop files and folders into the file list
  • And lots more!

Planned features for startSRB2:
  • A feature that allows you to set the message of the day (MOTD)
  • Recording and replaying demos feature
  • MainCFG/Controls editor
  • Feature that retrieves a list of net-games from the master server, and you can join one of them by selecting it.

If you would like to see something in startSRB2, please ask me!

Every time I release a new version, the number of views (downloads) is reset. But I've been counting and we just hit over 500 views! Thank you! ^_^

In the download I also included some batch files that will make hosting and joining your own dedicated server in SRB2 2.1 easy. Go nuts!

Attachments

• scr1.png
    scr1.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 5,005
  • screenshot2.png
    screenshot2.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 3,771
  • SRB2 Launcher.zip
    219 KB · Views: 6,875
  • SRB2 Launcher source.zip
    2 MB · Views: 2,352
  • DedicatedServerTools.zip
    439 bytes · Views: 4,789
Last edited:
Useful, but i have a little problem with the launcher

When i tried to add a bunch of wad addons, this is what i get on my log.txt

Command line arguments: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\srb2win.exe" -file "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\AmyRose.wad" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\BlazeTheCat.wad" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\Crawla_Honcho.wad" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\Greeneyes.wad" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\lua_advitems.wad" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\lua_boss.wad" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\MetalRobotnik.wad" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\MetalSonic.wad" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\Mighty.wad" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\minus.wad" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\ParappaTR.wad" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\pinkie.wad" '
I_StartupSystem() ...
Setting up SRB2...
M_StartupLocale...
Z_Init(): Init zone memory allocation daemon.
System memory: 4090MB - Free: 1674MB
I_StartupTimer()...
W_InitMultipleFiles(): Adding IWAD and main PWADs.
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\srb2.srb (6190 lumps)
Loading main config from C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\srb2.srb
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\zones.dta (959 lumps)
Loading main config from C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\zones.dta
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\player.dta (517 lumps)
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\rings.dta (444 lumps)
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\patch.dta (145 lumps)
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\music.dta (171 lumps)
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\AmyRose.wad (151 lumps)
Loading main config from C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\AmyRose.wad
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\BlazeTheCat.wad (170 lumps)
Loading object config from C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\BlazeTheCat.wad
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\Crawla_Honcho.wad (199 lumps)
Loading Lua script from C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\Crawla_Honcho.wad|LUA_GAME
Pardon me while I initialize the Lua scripting interface...
Loading object config from C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\Crawla_Honcho.wad
WARNING: Line 4: Patch is for SRB2 version 211,
only version 210 is supported
1 warning in the SOC lump
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\Greeneyes.wad (172 lumps)
Loading object config from C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\Greeneyes.wad
WARNING: Line 6: Patch is for SRB2 version 212,
only version 210 is supported
1 warning in the SOC lump
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\lua_advitems.wad (1 lumps)
Loading Lua script from C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\lua_advitems.wad|LUA_ITEM
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\lua_boss.wad (6 lumps)
Loading Lua script from C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\lua_boss.wad|LUA_BHUD
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\MetalRobotnik.wad (271 lumps)
Loading Lua script from C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\MetalRobotnik.wad|LUA_GAME
Loading object config from C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\MetalRobotnik.wad
Added file C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\MetalSonic.wad (177 lumps)
Loading Lua script from C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\MetalSonic.wad|LUA_GAME
Sound sfx_msjet1 allocated.
Sound sfx_msjet2 allocated.
Sound sfx_msjet3 allocated.
Sound sfx_msjet4 allocated.
Sound sfx_mschrg allocated.
Sound sfx_msovdr allocated.
Sound sfx_msovd1 allocated.
Sound sfx_msovd2 allocated.
Sound sfx_msovd3 allocated.
MobjType MT_MSJETFLUME allocated.
MobjType MT_MSOVERDRIVE allocated.
Loading object config from C:\Program Files (x86)\SRB2\Download\MetalSonic.wad
ERROR: File Prog not found.
I_Error(): A WAD file was not found or not valid.
Check the log to see which ones.

yea, passing a filepath with a drive letter is no good, I remember we have some code in Command_Addfile() to remove ':'.

Useful, but i have a little problem with the launcher

When i tried to add a bunch of wad addons, this is what i get on my log.txt

To concur with ShadowHog, I believe that the problem is with SRB2 itself or the WAD you are using (MetalSonic.WAD). I did extensive testing on the launcher, and I could not find any problems.

Loading WADs from different drives and folders than SRB2 works fine for me.

Last edited:
Good news! The launcher is no longer a beta. I just released the full version. This new version has some pretty cool new features and it's more stable because I have tested it more thoroughly.

I also released the source code. Please realize that I am not the best programmer. So if you see something in the source that you think is sloppy or stupid, please don't judge. I tried my best, and the launcher works very well.

So check it out! Tell me what you think. =)

Last edited:
You still need to fix the gametype list for when creating a server using your launcher. It still lists the old 2.0.x gametypes. You also need to change the Forceskin option to let us choose what skin we want to force.

This version that I just released has 2.1's new gametypes. I'm not sure why you think it doesn't.

You are right about the forceskin. I will fix it tomorrow.

Last edited:
You also need to change the Forceskin option to let us choose what skin we want to force.

I fixed this. I added a textbox with which you can choose the skin by typing in the number of the skin (0 for sonic, 1 for tails, 2 for knuckles, etc).

I also added another thing. Now when you drag and drop files into the list, it now recognizes and adds files with the .lua extension

That puts the version up to 2.1.2.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post.

A lot of you guys were having trouble joining your own dedicated servers, since "-connect 127.0.0.1" is broken in SRB2 2.1

So I in the download I included some batch files that fix the problem. Just put them in your SRB2 folder and run them.

It's useful for multiplayer stuff, like your character! So I don't have to anymore! This launcher rocks!
*Gives 5 stars*

Last edited:
Colored Server Names in StartSRB2

I'm having issues trying to get colored server names to work properly in StartSRB2. How do I have colored server names in StartSRB2?

I'm having issues trying to get colored server names to work properly in StartSRB2. How do I have colored server names in StartSRB2?

startSRB2 doesn't support this, unfortunately.

I'm kind of letting this project die. I coded this back when I had very little knowledge of programming. The program works fine, but the code is messy and poorly written. Editing the code drives me insane.

Maybe when the next major version of SRB2 comes out, I'll make a new launcher from scratch.

That being said, you can use the file menu in startSRB2 to create a batch file. You can use this batch file to launch SRB2 with your own settings. Edit the batch file with notepad, and insert colored server names manually.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back