Fixed Wadzip

K.S.

Formerly Inuyasha, Retired Staff
It seems a couple people still use or need this tool for whatever reason, so here you go. Wadzip is an old tool made by Graue that compresses WADs into a smaller format that the game can still read (but, unfortunately, that editors cannot read). This is a bugfixed version of Wadzip that fixes some bugs with the decompress (d) option that made it impossible to decompress a previously compressed WAD.

Wadzip (r8765)

Like most of Graue's tools, Wadzip uses the command line exclusively, so open up a command prompt (cmd) window to use it, and use the following commands to compress or decompress a given WAD:

Code:
Compresses "regular.wad" and saves the compressed file as "wadzipped.wad"
> wadzip c [regular.wad] [wadzipped.wad]

Decompresses "wadzipped.wad" and saves it as "regular.wad"
(necessary if you want to edit the WAD in an editor)
> wadzip d [wadzipped.wad] [regular.wad]

In most cases, Wadzip is unnecessary; and it certainly isn't a requirement for releases or anything. Having said that, it may help lower your WAD's size a lot depending on the content.

PK3 is better,it allows us to load Multiple wads,files in order and compresses them,i wish SRB2 will support them soon ...

Thanks for fixing this. Noticed that unzipping some files didn't work for some reason(Not for stealing, I only wanted to see some of Rosy's code and updated sprites), but they couldnt' be decompressed by the Linux build so I thought that it would be a Windows/Linux version problem.

It's good to have this tool public now so everyone can use it and decompess the files(Again, not for stealing, but before that it was still possible but only for some limited users that got the windows version compiled).

You have to run it using Command prompt, Not by double clicking it (commands are mentioned in first post) .

I'd think some instructions on how to use this would be better.

the furthest I got gave me the error no such file or directory.

to me it was telling me I had to use these guys [ and ]

As someone who normally doesn't use a command prompt, it's confusing

to me it was telling me I had to use these guys [ and ]
To me, it's telling me to replace the bracketed things with the Wad file names. (The square brackets aren't supposed to be in the command, as you might have guessed by now from this message.) I'll try to explain it more easily, though.

Navigate to where wadzip.exe is, hold Shift and right-click an empty space, choose "Open Command Prompt" or something, and type wadzip.exe [option] [input] [output] without pressing Enter yet.

Replace "[option]" with "c" to compress the input into the output, or "d" to de-compress the input into the output.

Replace "[input]" with the path to the Wad you want to compress or de-compress. You can get this by Shift-right-clicking the Wad file and choosing "Copy as path", although I haven't tested using a full path like that. If the path has spaces, you'll definitely need to use quotes, but again I haven't tested it with spaces.

Replace "[output]" with the path of the Wad you want to create. This file will be made by wadzip, so it doesn't need to exist already (not sure if it's even allowed to exist). You can use the same path as the input, just adding "compressed" or "decompressed" at the end before .wad, to keep it simple.

Then, once you have something like wadzip.exe c "D:\Path\To\File.wad" "D:\Path\To\FileCompressed.wad", hit enter.

Or...
NLvi4Mt.png

...you could do it as if you were using CMD. You just have to prefix two extra characters ( ./ ).

To me, it's telling me to replace the bracketed things with the Wad file names. (The square brackets aren't supposed to be in the command, as you might have guessed by now from this message.) I'll try to explain it more easily, though.

Navigate to where wadzip.exe is, hold Shift and right-click an empty space, choose "Open Command Prompt" or something, and type wadzip.exe [option] [input] [output] without pressing Enter yet.

Replace "[option]" with "c" to compress the input into the output, or "d" to de-compress the input into the output.

Replace "[input]" with the path to the Wad you want to compress or de-compress. You can get this by Shift-right-clicking the Wad file and choosing "Copy as path", although I haven't tested using a full path like that. If the path has spaces, you'll definitely need to use quotes, but again I haven't tested it with spaces.

Replace "[output]" with the path of the Wad you want to create. This file will be made by wadzip, so it doesn't need to exist already (not sure if it's even allowed to exist). You can use the same path as the input, just adding "compressed" or "decompressed" at the end before .wad, to keep it simple.

Then, once you have something like wadzip.exe c "D:\Path\To\File.wad" "D:\Path\To\FileCompressed.wad", hit enter.
I get this every time I try to do so.
'wadzip/wadzip.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back