Originally Posted by leonlight View Post
Backwards compatibility, easy lol

Yep that's the one right there!
Old 21 Hours Ago   #63
SilverVortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonlight View Post
Backwards compatibility, easy lol
that is actually impossible. the differences in coding and lua between the older and newer versions, even between 2.1 and 2.2, is so large that it would take ages to port everything, even if we had the entire community on hand. even if somehow we were able to do this for 2.2, it would all mean nothing when 2.3 comes out.
SilverVortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Hours Ago   #64
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

How would Classic Chaos mode even be supported?
Old 17 Hours Ago   #65
GeorgeMP
Eef freef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverVortex View Post
that is actually impossible. the differences in coding and lua between the older and newer versions, even between 2.1 and 2.2, is so large that it would take ages to port everything, even if we had the entire community on hand. even if somehow we were able to do this for 2.2, it would all mean nothing when 2.3 comes out.
They could simply have it so that when you load a mod that it recognizes as being made for a previous version, it will automatically convert the mod to run on the current version. Or, at least, they could include the converter as a separate program.
Old 17 Hours Ago   #66
SilverVortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMP View Post
They could simply have it so that when you load a mod that it recognizes as being made for a previous version, it will automatically convert the mod to run on the current version. Or, at least, they could include the converter as a separate program.
you don't understand, the code and functions used in older versions are almost completely different compared to 2.2's. that'd be like saying we could just turn a cow into a horse just by putting it into a machine.

the only way to convert mods to be compatible with newer versions is to manually port it.
SilverVortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Hours Ago   #67
GrayAngel

There's a separate thread specifically for the discussion of backward compatibility.
GrayAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Hours Ago   #68
frozenLake

Honestly, not a feature, but I would love for the Suggestions Topic to be reworked in such a way that it is limited solely to modding features, instead of things that could be done with Lua.

...Interesting that this thread is just Suggestions 2, isn't it?
Old 9 Hours Ago   #69
Frostav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdizs View Post
Chao Gardens...

It kinda blows my mind no game has ever successfully (few have even tried) reintroduced the Chao Garden mechanic. It has so much potential for being just as cool or even better (seriously, a LOT could be done to improve it) that is still untapped.

Not that I'm surprised that it ain't in SRB2, of course! That's a lot of work in the Doom engine! But it's like free money for any commercial game.

The idea of getting to design custom chao race courses sounds fun, too.

I love the chao gardens to death but they kinda like, fundamentally need 3D models to work given that chao slowly morphing shape is their whole thing. Also they're emphatically not a "classic" element of Sonic.
Frostav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Hours Ago   #70
shayne

My biggest hope for the game is for it to eventually reach a true state of completion, with all the zones that have been planned since 1.09.4 completed. Believe it or not, there was a time when that seemed like too much to ask. Looking at the team's more recent progress is getting my hopes up again.

If you want something less obvious, a revamped control scheme. Both the controls themselves and how the characters control. The existing one, well...it's a bit janky. Sure you can get used to the jank, but that doesn't mean there's no jank.
shayne is offline   Reply With Quote