Delaying linedef execs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warpshade

Usually lurks somewhere.
How would I? I have a plan but it's space consuming and inefficient. (Passing a snowman across a conveyor belt with linedef execs in the path)

Please post a method to delay a lindef executor.

You could have a floor move linedef executor, because Floor Move lets you activate a second LD Executor after it finishes. There was a way to calculate how many tics a Floor Move LD Executor would take, but I forget it.

Delay? What do you mean? I use linedef executors all the time, and I would be able to help... but I'd have to know what you mean.

Also, linedef executors have to be triggered; they don't run automatically. I say, go with your original idea. It's better to be coordinated than to be unsure. Here's 1/8th of my control sector setup (the linedef executors):
oneeigth.PNG

Although it takes a lot of space, I know where everything is just in case I want to edit it later. I'm guessing your idea was to have several linedef executors along the way of the conveyor belt. If that's the case, you'd have to multiply the original conveyor by how many other executors you have, plus the original. It might take a while, but it'll be accurate. Even if you use Kaysakado's method, you'd still have to create different sectors within the conveyor belt.

I'm still unsure on what you mean, though.

Basically, after a linedef is triggered, make it take a certain amount of time before actually taking action. My current technique is to (upon activating the linedef) send a snowman down a conveyor belt and upon reaching the end, to use linedef trigger (pushable objects) to do the effect I want, and send the snowman back to wherever the first place was.

In this particular instance, 106 and 107 (Move sector floor, move sector ceiling. I'll bosh together an example wad in a bit, showing my present method

Strange, I use the same executors, but not in a horizontal direction (vertical), making them activate once a pushable object passes through them. You know, you could make a floating platform that activates at different heights, and conceal a pushable object on the top (with an intangible opaque FOF, as long as the player can't reach it), and use an intangible invisible FOF to make the platform stop when the pushable object reaches it.

I can make an example wad if you'd like...

Here's an example, it's similar to what I normally do (In normal cirmumstances there's a change sector tag button on the ground.)

Tch, ya know, one of these days I'm gonna go through _every_ sector and linedef entry in the wiki. I had no idea it could do that. Thanks Segmint and Kaysakado!

EDIT: God that sounded way too excited.... hopefully my level will be done by tommorow.

Sorry for the mega bump but I just dug this up while shearching for the topic I made asking about the same thing.

FuriousFox said:
It's not a linedef type, you set Upper Unpegged (0x0008) on the linedef executor action you want to delay. Then, connect another sector to the backside of the linedef. The floor height + ceiling height of the back sector is how many tics the game will wait before performing the action.

Regardless if this gets me in trouble I'd figure it would be better if this info was spread out. (Also it still needs to be added to the wiki somewhere and I have no idea what section to put it in.)

I think it would go under the main linedef executors page if it goes for all of them... but I'd like a little more information than there is in the post you quoted...

It just delays the linedef meaning it still has to be triggered, so is there an instantaneous trigger that loops that can be used or does the conveyor concept still need to be used for a looping timed trigger? Is it supposed to be used on the Trigger Linedef, or the Linedef Executor?

From what glaber quoted, if you put an object on a Sector Type 971 (Pushable Objects) tagged with a control sector with Linedef Type 96 (Trigger Continuously) with the backside sector delay method, you could do the same thing as an object conveyor loop.

At least, I think so. I have not yet tried it to see if it works, as the delayed linedef executors in my map work fine in their current "Gargoyle Box" format.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

That doesn't do the trick, I guess its the pushable special only registering when the object lands on it, so it can't do a continuous trigger. I think the delay worked though, because the first loop went sort of slow, but then it didn't go into a second one.

All this really does is delay the excuation of the linedef action for a certain amount of time making it possible to recreate something like the doors from Doom and Doom2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back