SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 2 Days Ago   #461
OldTornadotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post

What's really surreal, though, is hearing about all of the big names from back in the day and just how shitty they were. Mystic I knew was bad, Rob I barely remember. But I think I was still around when the Spazzo drama happened, but I was too young to really know or care what was going on. I think I remember Mystic going around saying that Spazzo just ragequit the community out of the blue, and I just went with that. But JTE was basically "The Guy" back in the day. He wasn't really staff, as far as I know, but he was basically on the level of a community celebrity, so hearing the kind of stuff he was up to was a real shock. It does put the only time I ever interacted with him into new context though. It was in a netgame (so in hindsight, it might not have even been him) but I remember him coming off as really weirdly flirty? It kind of made me uncomfortable, but I kinda just passed it off as just being how he talked at the time.

Just to bold that word over there. I don't think Spazzo "rage-quit" because that's not what happened. What really happened is that Mystic accused Spazzo for ripping out contents from the original author.

After Spazzo was banned from the forums, he went on to Mibbit to keep up with the argument. I think Spazzo said something about "That last post deletion was dirty" on the pms? anyway, the conversation ended with, "nice knowing you", and removed Spazzo from the access list.

I have the link. But first, I will have to ask the moderator if it is safe for me to post it.

Last edited by OldTornadotion; 2 Days Ago at 12:07 AM.
OldTornadotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #462
shayne

Oh, I know that's not what happened now. That's just what Mystic went around telling everybody, and I believed it at the time.
shayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #463
I'll Begin
💪🐑

Quote:
It does put the only time I ever interacted with him into new context though. It was in a netgame (so in hindsight, it might not have even been him) but I remember him coming off as really weirdly flirty? It kind of made me uncomfortable, but I kinda just passed it off as just being how he talked at the time.
yep that's it that's the bitch.

That's definitely "just how JTE talked", of course, but it's also kind of how they sunk their claws into you. Many of the victims that have come forward publicly or privately can attest for this. A lot of us were lonely, in a vulnerable spot, and most of us were dealing with being closeted and looking for unconditional acceptance. JTE's affectionate personality prove quite alluring for people in that position.

Last edited by I'll Begin; 1 Day Ago at 07:52 AM. Reason: urgh sorry i keep editing this, it's so hard to put it into words
I'll Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #464
shayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'll Begin View Post
yep that's it that's the bitch.

That's definitely "just how JTE talked", of course, but it's also kind of how they sunk their claws into you. Many of the victims that have come forward publicly or privately can attest for this. A lot of us were lonely, in a vulnerable spot, and most of us were dealing with being closeted and looking for unconditional acceptance. JTE's affectionate personality prove quite alluring for people in that position.
Well, shit. I don't know how many people got caught up in this, it sounds like a lot. All I can say is I'm very sorry you all went through that, and I'm glad it's getting the attention it deserves now. Earlier I expressed that I do have sympathy for the former staff and major community members who got the boot after working on this community for so long, but I want to make it clear that that sympathy does not extend to pedophiles.

This seems to be a disturbingly common problem around the sonic fandom, I've seen it a lot in other communities I've been a part of. It's a fandom that attracts kids that happens to have a lot of adults sticking around from the olden days, which makes it a natural hunting ground for predators.

My understanding is that recently two more predators were caught in this community? I didn't recognize either of the two names I saw though. It's not fun having to constantly be on high alert for this sort of thing, I've been a moderator of communities that have dealt with similar shit before (although none of them were nearly as large) so I know that for a fact, but I hope now that the staff here understand that they kind of have to.
shayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Hours Ago   #465
Sunderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdizs View Post
Actually, you're totally right, I'm gonna correct this just so the precedent is clear and there's no confusion. :V
That's really cool that you guys banned him. I didn't mean to make it a big thing, but it's really important I think for those affected to be defended and for people using their positions of power to oppress others to be removed from it entirely (which in this case, would be shutting the account down altogether).

Like others have said, I think it'd be good for him to share his side of the story since I don't know it and he's entitled to say his piece. But he doesn't really need to have direct access to everyone here in order to do it.

Quote:
This seems to be a disturbingly common problem around the sonic fandom, I've seen it a lot in other communities I've been a part of. It's a fandom that attracts kids that happens to have a lot of adults sticking around from the olden days, which makes it a natural hunting ground for predators.
They invade these communities like an alcoholic working in a bar. They know what they want and they know how to manipulate people into getting it.

I just want to say that I'm not throwing around any accusations, but it's getting to me how bizarre it is that this would be going on and nobody would be aware of it. I understand why SSNTails wouldn't have any clue since he was largely out of the picture with this stuff, but someone like Mystic who was so deeply involved with the community and was abusive to kids and inappropriate with them in his own right... It just doesn't add up.
Sunderland is offline   Reply With Quote