Icy Everest Zone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
SuperSonic64 said:
Just tried it.

It doesn't lag for me.

I played through the whole thing and no lag.

BTW nice music.

Really? It might be my computer that be doing this, it's been running rather intensively all day, but usually copes in Software. Let me see if it still lags for me...

EDIT: Nope, it still lags for me. Were you running in OpenGL mode or Software mode?

GCFreak said:
SuperSonic64 said:
Just tried it.

It doesn't lag for me.

I played through the whole thing and no lag.

BTW nice music.

Really? It might be my computer that be doing this, it's been running rather intensively all day, but usually copes in Software. Let me see if it still lags for me...

EDIT: Nope, it still lags for me. Were you running in OpenGL mode or Software mode?

Actually I was running OpenGL.

I'm going to try in software then I'll tell you.

edit: HOLY CRAP!

It lags in software. I couldn't find the problem of why its lagging.

I think I know what your problem is I will tell you if that is what I see...

EDIT:You have to much stuff in the map I would suggest to take out some things like rings or enemies.

A comment on the map itself: Tis, as they say, uber-1337. Multiple paths, difficulty, a secret(although the script lumps aren't in place yet), etc.

Anyways, I think the snow and FOFs combined is causing the lag. Try removing the weather.

Kaysakado said:
A comment on the map itself: Tis, as they say, uber-1337. Multiple paths, difficulty, a secret(although the script lumps aren't in place yet), etc.

Anyways, I think the snow and FOFs combined is causing the lag. Try removing the weather.

Oh god, I forgot the scripts! Uploading a fix ASAP. >_>

And, the snow are not FOFs. They're fake floors! And unfortunately, mikesword221 is right. It's something related to the things that's doing it and I'm trying to find out what.

EDIT: Reuploaded. Scripts are in place. Have you guys found the secret yet? :)

Erm, I really think that there's just too many straight, bland parts here. There's quite a bit of possibility that the fact that the map is so huge is causing software to lag, although I don't know for sure.

Although on a more level design related note, this map is terribly unbalacned in difficulty. Some parts are just thok-thok-thok, while others feature ice designs over ice water that you just can't get out of fast enough to survive. Honestly, I didn't enjoy this.

Edit: Oh, and did you try ZDBSPing it?

Found the problem. It's that stupid precipitation bug in SRB2's weather code that was causing it. And BZ4, thanks for your criticism and mentioning of ZDBSP, the nodebuilder got rid of random HOM bugs in Software that ZenNode couldn't fix. :P

The link is updated, have fun. :P

Wow! Really nice level. This would have to be at least the 4th new non-remake level to use .96's textures. Also I thought the layout was good.

Thanks Glaber. :P

Any moderator/administrator help as to moving this topic over to the Level Releases forum would be greatly appreciated. :)

Kuja's Twilight Pass Zone must be the 3rd, LOL. Anywho, without the lag it's amazing to play with. Hard but amazing. I can't wait for the complete TBE!

Now that I think about it, it's the 5th.
Level list:
1st. Green Christmas (Turn around at the start)
2nd. Frozen Battery (Mostly Egg base.)
3rd. Holliday Village (All over)
4th. Stocking Stuffer
5th. this one

Also which exit was the secret?

Great level.

Nice and big.

The only problem is that the levels looks like it would be perfect for high speed, but you have to slow down or you will die because of the icy floor.

Isn't that the point of a snow level?

Water + cold = ice
Water + sonic = death
Ice + sonic = death
cold + sonic = pain

Anywho. *downloads, and consumes time with it*

EDIT: alrighty then.

On a design stand point:

Very well made, several different paths... flawless, aside from the scripts being broken. Whoo. Gotta LOVE scripting. Deep snow being a slow down (Quicksand without a sink, correct?) was clever. I question the multiple exits, though. Also, death pits seemed to be a bit too close to the floor you'd fall off - I knwo it's a bad Idea to make the drops TOO deep, but 320 sectors deep is better than 8. Speaking of, go dive into the huge pool next to the huge waterfall - floors under the springs-on-ice are pits, level with the ground itself. Therefore - insta death just by walking.

On a player standpoint:

Ahh! Maybe I'm just sloppy, but that was eviler than silver cavern, at times. The deeper pools of water were annoying as heck, simply because my rings dispersed too much to grab, and there was only 1 way out. You seemed to compensate with a bunch of water shields in the level, but it didn't make the pain go away. Also, ice floats on water, last I checked. Speaking of, collapsing ice floors seem like a bad idea, especially on thin, curving paths of it. This forces you to run like heck, then suddenly screeeech to a st-- oh, off the cliff. I gave up and played as tails, thus proving it wasn't fun.

Nice work!
Longer than expected and well detailed.

Only thing I have to critcize in this first view is THIS: http://img522.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img522/2654/1199833256rbk.smil
glitch. (click link for slideshow)

I made the screenies all from the same angle and walked a little into the direction. Judging from the appearence and my own experiences it might be a too long distance from one thok-barrier border to another that screws the view.
It might be some broken sector borders, too, but I don't think so because multiple linedeffs were drawn the wrong way and the error vanishes if you are getting nearer.

Whoo for tiny bump.

ZTaimat said:
Very well made, several different paths... flawless, aside from the scripts being broken. Whoo. Gotta LOVE scripting. Deep snow being a slow down (Quicksand without a sink, correct?) was clever. I question the multiple exits, though. Also, death pits seemed to be a bit too close to the floor you'd fall off - I knwo it's a bad Idea to make the drops TOO deep, but 320 sectors deep is better than 8. Speaking of, go dive into the huge pool next to the huge waterfall - floors under the springs-on-ice are pits, level with the ground itself. Therefore - insta death just by walking.

Heh, the scripts are STILL broken? I honestly thought I fixed them. The deep snow is actually just a fake floor with lots of friction applied to it. The multiple exits, hmm...I guess I can just make the two exits tie together, but then I would have to make the level much longer, and I'm just not willing to do that. The icy water is indeed a problem, I never thought that 8 units under the sector was too bad, but that maybe because I'm awesome at SRB2 platforming, and people naturally pwn at their own levels, so this maybe a bit harder for you guys out there. :P

ZTaimat said:
Ahh! Maybe I'm just sloppy, but that was eviler than silver cavern, at times. The deeper pools of water were annoying as heck, simply because my rings dispersed too much to grab, and there was only 1 way out. You seemed to compensate with a bunch of water shields in the level, but it didn't make the pain go away. Also, ice floats on water, last I checked. Speaking of, collapsing ice floors seem like a bad idea, especially on thin, curving paths of it. This forces you to run like heck, then suddenly screeeech to a st-- oh, off the cliff. I gave up and played as tails, thus proving it wasn't fun.

Hehe, I have forgot the laws of physics, ice is supposed to float on water. But isn't Sonic not about the laws of physics? :P Ah well. Let's not get into that discussion. Crumbling icy floors I think is not too bad an idea, it's just a terrible idea in the last part of one of the exits. Now that is horrible. That part is very difficult for some people, even more so in netgames. Heh, this level is cheaply difficult, and difficulty will be toned down a tad...

Oh, and for people complaining about this level 'randomly' appearing in SRB2:TBE, don't, because it has been in SRB2:TBE the entire time. :P

I enjoyed this level. Nice work.

Some of the traps felt cheap, like the death pits being too close to the surrounding floor, and the pop-up turret that got me right at the top of a spring. But it was fun enough that I wanted to keep trying in spite of this, so you clearly did something right :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back