Suggestions

The ability to spectate in race. Helps avoid the wait of the countdown if anyone's idle.

Here's a few suggestions coming from me:

cechoflags should NOT be based in a decimal format, when cechoflags is FLAGS, not DECIMAL. At least save us the time and let us toggle the flags individually. It's more proper anyway.

Also, a gametype, manhunt - a Tag variation, where if you shoot the IT you get 100 points, and the IT gains a slow amount of points as he is IT. When the IT is tagged, and a new IT is chosen randomly, and gameplay continues. The game defaults to a pointlimit instead of a time limit, like 1000 points.

Also, in OpenGL, when using modelsin PLAY, it replaces the sprite for all players.. instead, poerhaps go by skin? :P And wadfiles could include a link to the MD2 in the MD2 folder, with a flag called modelname = ????????, like in the popular wad Hinote1.1.wad, could include modelname = HINOTE Which should make modelling the players easier.. but we just have to be careful not to conflict.. It's a suggestion after all though.

Last edited:
The blue diagonal spring should be considered. There's a lot of modifications that include them anyway. The same goes for the Palm tree.

I have a couple suggestions to make:

1. Don't allow incoming players to enter a Race in progress. It makes absolutely no sense letting a player start the Race when everyone else is on their third lap. Quite apart from that person having no chance, it means everyone else has to wait for him to cross the finish line. Even with the time limit, there's still a delay. I'd recommend making anyone who joins a Race in progress a spectator, then letting them join in the next round.

2. You know how in Match and CTF, the console shows updates on what's happening to other players? (i.e. "Player 3 was hit by Player 4's ring", or "Player 6 fell in some nasty goop!") Put that in Coop too. Even though Coop games don't really have players shooting other players, it could still be nice to know when your fellows are killed.

1. Don't allow incoming players to enter a Race in progress. It makes absolutely no sense letting a player start the Race when everyone else is on their third lap. Quite apart from that person having no chance, it means everyone else has to wait for him to cross the finish line. Even with the time limit, there's still a delay. I'd recommend making anyone who joins a Race in progress a spectator, then letting them join in the next round.

The idea is good, but ... if we do this, players in spectators will have very little time to join the game. Between the results screen and the next race.

2. You know how in Match and CTF, the console shows updates on what's happening to other players? (i.e. "Player 3 was hit by Player 4's ring", or "Player 6 fell in some nasty goop!") Put that in Coop too. Even though Coop games don't really have players shooting other players, it could still be nice to know when your fellows are killed.
SRB2JTE had such a feature:

"Player was killed by a Crawla"
"Player was crushed by a heavy object"

At least, we as server admin can know what's going on with the players and we can help before they start spaming "rings plz".

AFK mode.

The host (and only the host) types "afk on" in the console when they need to step away, then the following occurs:

1. host's gameplay controls are disabled apart from talk, team talk, and the console key
2. if possible, host becomes spectator
3. console message printed, along the lines of "NOTE: (hostname) is currently away."
4. above message is printed for joiners
5. HUD graphic displays on host's screen reminding them that AFK mode is on
6. This is the big one: in non-spectating modes, the game ignores the host as an essential player. Aka, coop doesn't get stuck if the host is not present and races can finish without them.

"afk off" disables all but step 2. I don't suggest this concept to be used by non-hosts unless it can be ensured that it isn't abuseable somehow. I suspect this is probably too much work for not much gain, but just throwing it out here.

Last edited:
Time attack suggestion:

Take out the enemies not crucial to routes (Such as turrets).

They can lead to an untimely demise in an otherwise perfect run.

While they can also be an aid in runs, this is very rarely the case.

I just had an idea. Really stupid, but it may be (I mean MAYBE) help some programmers.
You know the linedef 433 ? "Disable 2D mode".
I propose to rename it to "Enable 3D mode".
I find it a little clearer. See for yourself now.
disablebonneide.jpg

I just had an idea. Really stupid, but it may be (I mean MAYBE) help some programmers.
You know the linedef 433 ? "Disable 2D mode".
I propose to rename it to "Enable 3D mode".
I find it a little clearer. See for yourself now.
disablebonneide.jpg

I think that's really a matter of preference, I mean "Disable 2D mode" for me means end 2D mode at that specific lindef. Also an "Enable 3D mode" also could lead new mappers to the confusion of thinking that's needed to make a level 3D.

the 2d sections from Eggrock either removed or modified.

If regular 2 mode is going to get merged with srb1 mode to give us the slower sonic. those sections may need to be revised to accommodate him.

Last edited:
Uh, I'm pretty sure that the devs thought of this when merging the two modes. Besides, I bet the 2D section in ERZ1 works much better with a slower Sonic.

Hmm... I'd like to suggest more SOC customization, easier editing, et cetera (and other miscellaneous things). For example...

1. When using the SRB2 Launcher, there's a thing for the gametype where you can click on a tab to switch between "pages." Maybe this could be implemented in Thing Edit to be able to switch between Flags and Flags2 for objects.
2. Ability to edit more stuff. What if somebody wants to make a fire rail ring? Or a one-hit Force Shield (Well, that can be given with A_CustomPower or its corresponding linedef executor)
3. I made a boss affected by gravity (with the "Crawla chase" strategy-thing) but it keeps jumping randomly. In 1.09.4a, however, this didn't happen. Maybe a flag called MF_GRAVITYBOSS which prevents the "jumping?"
4. Get rid of the thok trail when spinning/thokking and possibly do this: Make afterimages for thok/homing attack (Like in SRB2JTE). Make a little dust cloud (Like in Sonic 2/CD/3/&K) when charging a spindash, and instead of constantly playing that spin-rev sound, play the "rolling into a spin" one like when running and spinning once. Repeatedly press the spin button to charge, then press forward to release (or jump to jump out of it). Only add afterimages if the player is spinning full speed.
5. Color text should be used like it is in XSRB2. Well, why not?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Back