SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Custom Builds

Sonic Robo Blast 2 (v2.2.x) Switch Port Details »»
Sonic Robo Blast 2 (v2.2.x) Switch Port
Developer Last Online: Oct 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (2 votes - 3.40 average)
Released: 03-18-2020 Last Update: Never Favourites: 4
Code Changes

Sonic Robo Blast 2 (v2.2.x) for the Nintendo Switch

SRB2 is finally playable on the Nintendo Switch! Not really sure what else to say except the notes below. Big thanks to carstene1ns for his work on the initial port; I really only did some polishing work to get this up and running. The game mostly runs at its full framerate (35 FPS).

I've moved most of the details of this post to GitHub in order to make it easier to maintain. Check the link below for the instructions, download, and source.

Download
https://github.com/heyjoeway/SRB2/bl...port/README.md

(Note to mods: I've made this a separate thread for 2.2.x. If you think it'd just be better to move and update the old thread then trash this and let me know.)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	icon.png
Views:	9541
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	28303  

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 03-20-2020   #2
Prime 2.0
Permanently Banned

Obligatory: You jailbreak and run homebrew software on your switch at your own risk. STJr and the SRB2MB takes no responsibility for the results of doing so.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020   #3
Nicholas the Hedgefox
The Mods Wanna Ban Me!

Hey this is pretty nice! Unfortunately i cant play it on my switch lite as i wanna keep it in perfect condition.
Old 03-20-2020   #4
CANINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas the Hedgefox View Post
Hey this is pretty nice! Unfortunately i cant play it on my switch lite as i wanna keep it in perfect condition.
1. you cannot even homebrew the switch lite yet. different hardware
2. it wouldnt do anything to the switch itself other than a possible ban.

---------- Post added 03-20-2020 at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-19-2020 at 11:58 PM ----------

also, i'm not too seasoned on linux-based ports, but would opengl ever be possible? i wonder if it would enhance performance
CANINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020   #5
Frostiikin
Insert funny hahas here

opengl is bad. it looks horrid, and is terribly optimized, i highly doubt ogl could do anything to increase performance.

Also, i really hope that 2.2 could get a port for the 3ds, would be really great to not have to hack my switch since i dont wanna get bean'd
Frostiikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020   #6
SCOTT0852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostiikin View Post
opengl is bad. it looks horrid, and is terribly optimized, i highly doubt ogl could do anything to increase performance.

Also, i really hope that 2.2 could get a port for the 3ds, would be really great to not have to hack my switch since i dont wanna get bean'd

The very beginning of CEZ2 already runs at 8fps, I am sure that OpenGL would improve performance at least somewhat. Overall the performance isn't especially amazing, which is likely the main factor that prevents a 3DS port from ever happening.

Switch hacking is also pretty safe as long as you don't do things like pirating games or cheating online, I've actually had my Switch running cfw while connected to the internet (no, I'm not using 90DNS) for a few months and haven't been banned. (all I use cfw for is home menu themes and running homebrew like SRB2, using things like sysmodules may increase your ban risk, nobody's willing to test that)
SCOTT0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020   #7
TheSilentGuy
Im Taking a break

Looks Good But I turned it into a cartridge so ( Screw u HomeBrew )
Old 03-23-2020   #8
Icarus
Banned

I wonder if Sega would actually make this game official (like Mania) somedays.

This port looks good but I won't modify my Switch for now.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020   #9
RedySanic
Having a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentGuy View Post
How did you turn it into a cartridge?
Old 03-26-2020   #10
SCOTT0852

Quote:
You do know that's physically impossible, right? I'm not even going to bother writing why since it would take far too long (there's a lot of reasons) and ultimately it would just be a waste of time and energy.

Last edited by SCOTT0852; 03-26-2020 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2020   #11
Icarus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedySanic View Post
How did you turn it into a cartridge?
It is possible to inject games into a cartridge since the NES days (but I won't go into detail because we're not allowed to talk about that kind of thing on the forums and it's not the subject of the thread).
Old 04-05-2020   #12
SCOTT0852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
It is possible to inject games into a cartridge since the NES days
The Switch is not an NES. The main thing stopping such a thing from being possible on the Switch is the ridiculous amount of cart slot DRM (and that's not even getting into romFS and exeFS signing, which is impossible without Nintendo's private signing keys). There's also other issues like how the game doesn't read data from romFS and you can't just buy blank switch carts, and even if you did get blank carts how would you write them? The signing issue can be bypassed with homebrew, but they said "( Screw u HomeBrew )", which implies that they did not bypass the signing methods in any way, and that doesn't account for the issue of the impossibility of obtaining and writing blank carts anyway.

Last edited by SCOTT0852; 04-05-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-02-2020   #13
AeonHero

Is this compatible with the 3d models? if no, is it even theoretically possible?
AeonHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020   #14
Icarus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonHero View Post
Is this compatible with the 3d models? if no, is it even theoretically possible?
I mean the Switch can fully support OpenGL so I don't see why not.
Old 05-05-2020   #15
AeonHero

Hmm... When I try to launch it (with full RAM access) through hbmenu, the screen goes black for a few seconds and then boots me back to hbmenu. Any idea why this is happening?

Edit: Nevermind! I only had the .nro file, not the whole folder. It should work now.

Last edited by AeonHero; 05-05-2020 at 05:59 PM.
AeonHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020   #16
heyjoeway

2.2.4 is up. Check the GitHub link in the OP. Also, to touch on a few things in the thread:

Quote:
i highly doubt ogl could do anything to increase performance.
OpenGL would absolutely increase performance; rendering areas with lots of geometry causes massive slowdown because of the single-threaded software rendering on a relatively weak CPU.

Quote:
lmao ok dude. Also everything SCOTT0852 said is basically correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonHero View Post
Not right now because no OpenGL.
heyjoeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020   #17
MRoach
íReremy

Quote:

OGL is the only way I can make the game run well. Though I guess you tried it in the switch version, you are sharing your experience and I'm misunderstanding.
Old 05-13-2020   #18
Icarus
Banned

Honestly that thread is teasing me into having SRB2 on the go but I prefer to keep my Switch "clean" (until Nintendo stops supporting it)
Old 07-07-2020   #19
MechaOverlord

SRB2 for 3DS when
MechaOverlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020   #20
Llitechiel ꙮ
Oh, What a Flopnik!

There is a recent 3DS port of SRB2 for the record, albeit by someone else, for New 3DS specifically, and is a major version behind. Have a look at this one if you want.