Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Tails' emblem shouldn't be in there if you can only get it by chance. Also, why isn't Sonic able to access it? I think the room needs some work on the visuals, as well, it looks quite plain. Out of curiosity, how did you make this machine?

I actually will make it accessible as Sonic. I don't know what I was thinking. But I'm keeping Tails's emblem there because it's still a more clever hiding place than its previous location. I'll also find a better place for Tails's emblem, too...the grand prize will actually be a 5-up.

It was very difficult to figure out how to make a machine that randomly executes 1 of 9 linedef executors. Here's how I did it. I had nine up-and-down moving FOFs under the "?" switch, each of which move at different speeds, and each of which has its highest point equal to the height of the floor. Then, I set it so that each one of them triggers a linedef executor that opens one of the doors, lowers the floor height of the switch, and disables the other eight linedef executors.

Last edited:
The moment I think I have made my statement, my mind betrays me. I hate how I unintentionally pick apart plots like I have with this one. All that I will actually voice of these is that I could fit twelve Boeing 747s in just one of the holes. I do not know if there is enough creativity in all of existance to fill them. I am honestly sorry about this, but many things occur that I could rant on every level the way I did about Space Walk Zone. The plot of this Level set is just that bad. I'm not talking levels here, just that the story is SHIT. I am talking to the point of having to chain my self to my chair to force myself to not break my computer. Sorry, nothing personal, just standards setting their evil little claws into something that takes a lot of suspension of disbelief.

The moment I think I have made my statement, my mind betrays me. I hate how I unintentionally pick apart plots like I have with this one. All that I will actually voice of these is that I could fit twelve Boeing 747s in just one of the holes. I do not know if there is enough creativity in all of existance to fill them. I am honestly sorry about this, but many things occur that I could rant on every level the way I did about Space Walk Zone. The plot of this Level set is just that bad. I'm not talking levels here, just that the story is SHIT. I am talking to the point of having to chain my self to my chair to force myself to not break my computer. Sorry, nothing personal, just standards setting their evil little claws into something that takes a lot of suspension of disbelief.
You could do it like the rest of use and not care about the story. Alternatively, you could make suggestions to improve it.

I have just begun the long, arduous process of improving the worst zone in the pack--Spacewalk Zone. I doubt that this level is ever going to be anything near the highlight of this mod, but I guarantee that it won't suck as much as it did.

In coming packs after v3.0, SZ is probably going to be one of my primary focuses for further improvement, as well.

Last edited:
I have just begun the long, arduous process of improving the worst zone in the pack--Spacewalk Zone. I doubt that this level is ever going to be anything near the highlight of this mod, but I guarantee that it won't suck as much as it did.

Personally, I feel that Spacewalk needs to be MUCH SHORTER. Act 1 should not take 6-8 minutes like it currently does. Long levels are okay as long as they are fun, but the problem is these acts drag on forever and are too repetitive to be both lengthy and enjoyable. Act 2 needs the gravity shift sigsev issue that I pointed out several times addressed and should also not last 8-10 minutes like it currently does...

I currently do not have plans to make Spacewalk Zone shorter, but I won't rule out that possibility for future versions. What I have done is increase path splits, texture variation, Coop-friendliness, and hidden secrets. I also removed the PolyObjects in SZ1, made the asteroid belts in SZ2 a bit less ugly, and generally reduced glitches.

I also did something that I hope fixed the SIGSEGV problem in SZ2, but, due to the fact that I have never experienced that problem myself, I have no idea as of now whether it actually worked or not.

Spacewalk Zone is probably still the worst zone in the pack (especially considering that every other zone has been overhauled as well), but I think you guys will notice some definite improvements when you play the new version.

I've moved on to Alien Armageddon Zone. I'm already working on giving it better textures, a reduction in rock spawners, more secrets, less crampedness, and possibly a few path splits. V3.0 is getting close to its release!

I'm aware of the segsev problem in act two of SWZ, after having experienced it my self multiple times (and making a highly uncalled for remake in rage induced after the issue had eaten away two weeks worth of evenings). The best I can describe the location is:
after the room with the death ceiling and the floor full of holes, through the hall and up the springs, if you try to jump on to the underside of the first piece of 'satellite framework' while the gravity is reversed, the problem occurs, and the game crashes (This is from what I sough in third person view, not in first person view).

The SIGSEGV problem in SZ2 is finally fixed. But however I cant get past LGZ2 because just after checkpoint near the "chance" room I become stuck (i think it is a teleporter that doesn't work)

As for the chance room It was fun. The first time it gave me invincibility, but the second time it gave me the nasty Sharp. I hope you will fix this problem since this zone is my favorite in your map pack

htifr4.jpg

---
jff9jb.jpg
The lag issues here in FSZ1 still exist, and I think I already mentioned this before.

If you do this... (By lowering the poisoned water so the fans won't make bubbles appear, which IS causing the lag in the first place...)
1embgw.png

---
The lag issues here will be gone, but it's still there, but not really much, which is suitable to work with, but can I ask why you have 2+ areas having the same Tag? (The Tag # would be 14.)

Last edited:
So I was going through Alien Armageddon Zone Act 1 and the underwater segments are really cheap. You placed No Air Bubble Spawning Objects in at all, except for one in a place it is not necessary to be in. You probably didn't put them in to add to the challenge, but I mean C'mon... Underwater segments need air bubbles if you even want to give the average SRB2 gamer a chance at making it through the level...

Also, the first spinning chain needs to be rotating on its own because if you were to let go and fail to get up the ledge and the chain stops 'upside down' you can't reach it and need to reset the level. The second spinning chain spins WAY TOO FAST, which leads me to believe you're TRYING to make us all suffer from motion sickness. The third chain that moves back and forth moves too fast also (especially in comparison to the ones used in Castle Eggman Zone Acts 1 & 2), if you miss it when trying to grab it, you die. It is a pain to try to grab something that moves faster than it needs to be...

Alien Armageddon Act 2 has some terrible points as well. The Blue floor has returned from SWZ...why? They don't even make any sense. Why should you die by jumping over them? Care to explain how this is even physically possible in a level like this? My opinion is that they need to become just bottomless pits for AAZ2...

Last edited:
The SIGSEGV problem in SZ2 is finally fixed. But however I cant get past LGZ2 because just after checkpoint near the "chance" room I become stuck (i think it is a teleporter that doesn't work)
Oh, man! Sorry about that! Fix'd.

Oh yeah, I played this a while ago... couple weeks? Not sure...

Anyways, I played up to that sunken city level and I have to say, it was enjoyable, despite the underwater areas there being impossibly dark and difficult to navigate...

However, some of the stages along the way were... very easy to get through, despite obstacles and gimmicks. I really found it boring after a while because it doesn't really present a challenge (to me, anyways.)

But all in all, it's not a bad pack. I just hope the level(s) you'll add to it have some difficulty in their design.

The third chain that moves back and forth moves too fast also (especially in comparison to the ones used in Castle Eggman Zone Acts 1 & 2), if you miss it when trying to grab it, you die. It is a pain to try to grab something that moves faster than it needs to be...

Okay, two things. First of all, it does need to be that fast. If it were any slower, the maximum swing point wouldn't be the top of the platform, so you'd be in the awkward position of having to blindly jump off the platform and hope you grab it. Second of all, there's a reason that the new version changes the lava in that section from deadly to damaging...so that even if you miss the chain and fall, you can still recover and get back. There's even a 1-up somewhere down there, if you are interested.

However, some of the stages along the way were... very easy to get through, despite obstacles and gimmicks. I really found it boring after a while because it doesn't really present a challenge (to me, anyways.)

If you only played up to the third Zone, how do you expect there to be a lot of challenge? Later levels get harder.

So I was going through Alien Armageddon Zone Act 1 and the underwater segments are really cheap. You placed No Air Bubble Spawning Objects in at all, except for one in a place it is not necessary to be in. You probably didn't put them in to add to the challenge, but I mean C'mon... Underwater segments need air bubbles if you even want to give the average SRB2 gamer a chance at making it through the level...
You do know it's the last zone in this mod? Also, it is very easy to go through for me, because they are perfectly timed.

Alien Armageddon Act 2 has some terrible points as well. The Blue floor has returned from SWZ...why? They don't even make any sense. Why should you die by jumping over them? Care to explain how this is even physically possible in a level like this? My opinion is that they need to become just bottomless pits for AAZ2...
Since when does logic apply to Sonic games? Also, if they were bottomless pits, the challenge would be completely taken away.

In other regards, I'm currently playing through, and I'm impressed at some points, disappointed at others. But I didn't expect you to fix everything at once, so all in all it's a great improvement. The first five zones are much better now, but the rest is still pretty much like it used to be. Long review coming later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back