View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011   #60
Mr. Mystery

== SINGLE PLAYER

Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic - 2/10
Where's the beef?

Chemical Facility Zone Act 1 by KO.T.E - 9/10
Holy crap. This is prolly your best level ever. It's (almost) everything an SRB2 stage ought to be, and besides Dumbventure I don't think i've played a more complete-feeling contest entry. Only a few issues:

The route with the rising chemical room is the weakest chunk of the level. Said room is kind of unintuitive (almost no warning before the gunk rises, special stage damage doesn't kill you when you're out of rings), and all that's left after that is the race to the closing door before the routes merge. Kinda disappointing; perhaps there should be a third path (at the elemental shield at the start) to compensate?

Also, do something about that rotten anticlimax at the end - I thought I was in for a Final Egg-like moment at the end of the waterslide but nope. Beyond that, it's amazing and I want an Act 2.

== MATCH ==

Magma Temple Zone by blahblahbal - 4/10
- Layout feels randomly cobbled together with little consistency to speak of, but it is at least entertaining to play
- ...when you aren't constantly running out of rings, since they're so spread out and tricky to collect
- Giant, difficult to climb stairs leading to a weapon panel and abrupt dead end. Don't do that shit please
- I don't know if it's interesting or cryptic that your most enjoyable maps are all lava stages...

Eggmatchsion Zone by KO.T.E - 8/10
- Lots of fun. I wondered if the fake paintings would be too campable but those seem to work alright, and lead to some funny shenanigans
- The outdoors area feels like a bit of an afterthought. I didn't find myself remembering to go out there much
- The map overall is just a little bit oversized
- Give this thing Luigi's Mansion music plz

== CTF ==

Arctic Facility Zone by Kuba11 - 3/10
- Cannot see where i'm going in this place. This is how not to use textures. Everything looks like a convoluted mess when in reality it's just 90 degree turns and hidden passageways (that tend to send you in circles because there's no way to tell if they benefit you or not). The texturing all but completely kills the playability of this map.
- The flag chambers are interesting but unbelieveably campable

Uninspired Name Zone by Scizor300/KO.T.E/Simsmagic - 4/10
- Good lord guys, if it's this unfinished and this close to unplayable, don't submit it. It's lacking player starts and the middle area has an instant kill sector conveniently disguised as a floor. But it is actually fun when it isn't crashing or doing something ridiculous to you
- The flag rooms are perhaps a little too hard to defend. It's not very obvious that the left route into the room is dangerous and useless, the room itself is cramped and tricky to shoot people in, and whoever takes the flag has a free shortcut out

The Map With No Name by Charybdizs - 0/10
- Excuses do not change the fact that in three tries I could not figure out where to go or what the hell was going on in a timely manner. For all practical purposes this is not playable.

== CIRCUIT ==
No comment on these for now, I think i'll just discuss the first two with their creators.

Dread Valley Zone by Blade - 7/10

Spring Factory Zone by KO.T.E/ThunderNova - 6/10

obnoioxies mym litltle pnony refenrence znone by RedEnchilada - 0/10
- Kids, don't do drugs.
[16:44] <Mystic> actually, Deep Sea is filled with the tears of kids banned from the forums