Stuff to put in SRB2ME (DISCUSSION TOPIC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you use RotSprite, like I did for BlazeRE's NiGHT's sprites, there's actually little to no cleaning up necessary. I just had to straighten out her eyelashes and some lines of shading, in a few frames. I was able to finish her NiGHT's animations (including the drill sprites) and compile it all into a WAD within a day.

Anyway, what I should have said was that it isn't as easy as letting the graphics renderer actually rotate the super form's side sprite. You have to draw the necessary angles yourself.

Autosaver said:
Ice said:
Jellybones69 said:
Eliminate the Thok. It makes the game feel less like the classic. It could be kept for custom characters or be replaced with the ability to use shields for abilities.

If we do this then what the hell would Sonic's advantage be over the other characters? Sure, this worked when the games were 2D, but it's completely different when you get into the 3D perspective.

This isn't the discussion topic :P

Anyways
Instead of eliminating it make it slower.

There will probably be a way to make it slower.

Why should they make it slower?

Sonic is all about speed.
Thokking gives him speed.
Just learn to control it.

The biggest problem is that it turns circuits and time attacks into total thokfests. I really don't think users should have to rely on thokking to compete against other Sonic users, because it essentially becomes "tap the button fastest to win", which is a retarded technique for any game to promote.

It should at most be as fast as Sonic's maxspeed, but I would honestly suggest for it to be a bit slower. There should be a time to thok, and there should be a time to run.

(inb4 Mystic comes in and says "Any speed slower than the thok is too damn slow.")
Blue Warrior said:
The biggest problem is that it turns circuits and time attacks into total thokfests. I really don't think users should have to rely on thokking to compete against other Sonic users, because it essentially becomes "tap the button fastest to win", which is a retarded technique for any game to promote.
Another example would be the running game in DDR extreme, which is whoever has the controller with Turbo wins every time.

It should at most be as fast as Sonic's maxspeed, but I would honestly suggest for it to be a bit slower. There should be a time to thok, and there should be a time to run.
Agreed. It'd add a tiny bit of strategy to SRB2 and majorly level the playing field for Knuckles and Tails.

There is already a strategy of thoking at the correct time. In a race you should try to aim your thoks carefully so you can achieve the best time by cutting corners and such. I think precisely aiming your thoks while still trying to be fast is the most fun in race. Thoking in a certain way can be risk taking which makes the race more satisfying.

I've said this billions of times before, it is the maps not the characters. In long flat open areas (which is nearly every circuit map ever created,) Sonic is going to reign supreme, period.

Blue Warrior said:

On the flip side, put yourself on a map with difficult platforming and watch Tails players navigate the map faster while flying over any and all difficult sections because they can "tap the button fastest to win" just as well as anyone else. In such cases, playing Sonic and "tapping your button" takes far more skill than anything else this game has to offer. Because the Sonic player can be crippled by missing a single jump, while a Tails player will have flown clear over it.

Or, you could make a vertical level and use Linedef Executors with Charability to vertically blockade Knuckles and Tails from even finishing the map. Yeah, that's cheap, but it would stop it from being a thokfest or a flyfest.

Shrike said:
very very close afterimages to characters going at running speed, to emulate the effect of blurring.

I'd second that, but I wont because of Software's cruddy Semi-transparent workings. :/

It'd be good for speed shoes, tho.

Besides that, it wouldn't actually make sense for the gameplay because the ammo rings don't add to the actual ring count and therefore are not part of the strategic purpose of the Attraction Shield. You are still wiping the map clean of rings the other player can use, and collecting ammo through the current system generally works rather well without the need for the Attraction Shield to have any effect on it.

JEV3 said:
because the ammo rings don't add to the actual ring count and therefore are not part of the strategic purpose of the Attraction Shield.

Really? In current version it does,or so I thought

God shield is already OP, don't make it worse.

What is God shield and OP mean?

The God Shield is a nickname for the Attraction Shield.

Also, if by current version you mean the 1.09.4 system, you must keep in mind that the new system is quite different. Match and everything in it has changed quite substantially for the better. For the first time you can strike a balance between strategy and the typical confusion of the SRB2 multiplayer outside of CTF, due to the new weapon system. There is far more motivation to travel the map and use the weapons to your advantage than to camp and blitz (though these still exist in some respects, they are more reasonable and generally beneficial to gameplay).

There has actually been a rather comprehensive topic released with regards to the subject HERE, which you have likely seen already but serves also as a proper depiction of how very different it has come to be.

BlueWarrior said:
Mere graphics and palette modifications should not make the game modified. Whether the end user decides to add it to their game or not when joining a server, the game should still be able to run normally; 3drend.dll is proof.
They should. The reason is that you could, if you wanted to, make a graphics modification that made every player in the game a bright red hitbox against the background of entirely black walls with white hazards. I consider this cheating, personally. That's why graphics modifications should modify the game.

Mystic said:
BlueWarrior said:
Mere graphics and palette modifications should not make the game modified. Whether the end user decides to add it to their game or not when joining a server, the game should still be able to run normally; 3drend.dll is proof.
They should. The reason is that you could, if you wanted to, make a graphics modification that made every player in the game a bright red hitbox against the background of entirely black walls with white hazards. I consider this cheating, personally. That's why graphics modifications should modify the game.
This argument would hold if there actually ways to camoflauge yourself. In a brightly colored game like this, there aren't, and I think having all the walls colored the same would actually be harder to see.

Kaysakado said:
Mystic said:
BlueWarrior said:
This argument would hold if there actually ways to camoflauge yourself. In a brightly colored game like this, there aren't, and I think having all the walls colored the same would actually be harder to see.

The argument does hold, because by its very nature, a graphics modification changes the brightly colored game. I also present that I could easily double or triple the size of hidden items in the game, such as emeralds or emblems, to make then more visible, which would clearly be cheating.

Rob said:
Kaysakado said:
Mystic said:
BlueWarrior said:

The argument does hold, because by its very nature, a graphics modification changes the brightly colored game. I also present that I could easily double or triple the size of hidden items in the game, such as emeralds or emblems, to make then more visible, which would clearly be cheating.
Then only allow certain graphics to be changed, or not allow the graphics to be bigger than the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back